anyone who did all liquids for a while pre-op

crystal W.
on 4/6/11 10:22 am - east liverpool, OH
please let me know what you used.  I was going to try the master cleanse with the lemons, maple syrup and cayenne pepper, but,  I didn't get grade b syrup, I got bottled juice instead of fresh lemons, and iodized sea salt.  Apparently, these are all no-no's, so I thought maybe I would just try to do all protein shakes. 

I put a scoop of unflavored protein powder in 8oz of fat free chicken broth with cayenne pepper, garlic and onion powder and celery flakes and drank that for dinner.  I usually have a mocha protein shake for breakfast and I figure if I keep drinking the broth for lunch and dinner that I might be able to lose some significant weight quickly.

Can anyone offer any other suggestions/advice?

Thanks

Crystal
Hi Crystal -
Why do you have to go with a liquid diet?   Is this based on your Surgeon's advice?  I noticed that you had surgery several years back, however, maybe you are considering a revision surgery and this is your Surgeon's requirement to have the new operation. 

Personally I don't buy into the cleanse that you had talked about.  Have had several friends attempt it and they ended up with bad headaches, etc. and they just gained the weight back as soon as they returned to earting. 

Now this is a personal preference for me ... given the choice of an entire can of tuna fish with a little low-fat mayo and a small side salad I would take that any day over an equal calorie equivalent protein drink.  But again, maybe there are reasons why you need to go solely liquid. 

Nancy
"Learn from Yesterday.  Live for Today.  Hope for Tomorrow" - Albet Einstein

crystal W.
on 4/6/11 11:36 am - east liverpool, OH
Hi, and thanks for replying.

It's not a requirement.  I just actually gained during 2 of my 3 mos supervised diet and the nurse doesn't want to submit until I can lose some weight.  I'm humiliated to admit this but I am now 11 lbs heavier than I was back at my January consult.   I'm just trying to lose quickly so we can get the ball rolling.  I'm trying to revise to the sleeve.
Mary Catherine
on 4/6/11 12:39 pm
 I think that what you are doing might work fine.  Try for a week and see.  I lost 10 pounds the week before surgery on a clear liquid diet. No milk or protein. Just sugarfree juices and clear broth.  Also lots of water.
crystal W.
on 4/6/11 12:49 pm - east liverpool, OH
Thank you!
Geminisappho
on 4/6/11 11:52 pm - Atascadero, CA
Hi Crystal.
From my initial weigh in, my doctor wanted me to lose 14 pounds pre-op to shrink my liver. He asked this in December. I was not ready to do this and I gained 8 pounds with my "last supper eating" on top of the 14. Not until January 1st did I start doing a liquid diet. In 3-4 weeks I lost all that weight. at my check in with. It was hard.
I personally would not to the fad diet as you are only loosing water weight where as a protein diet is going to give you much needed energy going into surgey. You are going to need all you can get for your body to heal and so your body wont "eat" your muscles  after surgery.
I did 4-4 protein shakes a day with tons of water. That got me 120-150gm protein and 640-800 cals a day. Super low but it worked for me. I got a bit *****y at times because I was "hungrey" but other than that it was ok, just will power. Good luck!
***ADRIENNE**

crystal W.
on 4/7/11 9:13 am - east liverpool, OH
Thank you!  I really hope this is quick and the nurse will submit my paperwork soon
Lena G.
on 4/7/11 5:46 am - Lawton, OK
I had to do a pre-op SF liquid diet.  It was meant to shrink my liver so that surgery was easier once they got in there.  It was scheduled for 2 weeks, but ended up being 3 weeks instead.  The Sugar-Free was the kicker.  I drank my protien in bullets and a GNC Complete Whey unflavored mix.  I could have all the SF jello I wanted, all the SF popsicles I wanted, anything SF to drink in any amount, I was also allowed to eat up to two 1/2 cup servings of Cottage Cheese a day, and even up to 15 grams of carbs in a Low Fat yogurt (which I opted out of).  I could have all the Chicken/Beef/Vegetable Broth I wanted, also.  Even SF puddings.  the first 4 days were really hard, but after that it was ok. 

39 lbs pre surgery weightloss... slowly, but surely getting there!

crystal W.
on 4/7/11 9:15 am - east liverpool, OH
Hi Lena,

Thank you for replying.  Do you mind if I ask how much weight and how quickly you lost during this time?
Lena G.
on 4/8/11 12:57 am - Lawton, OK
no, of course I don't mind questions!  I lost 18 pounds during the pre-op liquid diet.  which was 3 weeks.  Now, mind you... I can't do much exercise due to other issues.  I probably would have lost more if I could have walked, or used an elliptical machine during that time.

39 lbs pre surgery weightloss... slowly, but surely getting there!

Most Active