Failed Lap Band- I need HELP!

sweetdreamer67
on 5/31/11 2:22 am
 HI Everyone,
    My name is Adele. I had my lap band done in April of 2004.  Things started out ok and I lost about 40 lbs. Then one day I ate a spoon full of brown rice and got sick for many hours. Since then I have gone through many unfills, fills,  and barium swallows. Results came back saying that things were fine. I went through hell getting sick all the time and then things got  a bit better or at least that is what I told myself. I have had countless fills and unfills. Just two months ago things got so bad that I couldn`t remember when the last day was that I didn`t throw. I told myself that I must be doing something wrong. I went to my doctor twice to get an unfill and he couldn`t get any fluid to come out. After returning to Jeddah, saudi Arabia were I am working I saw another doctor who after half an hour with a needle in my stomach was finally able to empty my band. Things were better and I was able to start eating again, but now the same problems are coming back and I continue to gain the weight back. 
    I got my band at 24 years old and paid for it myself. I feel like a failure and need help. I can`t continue like this! I am unhappy and unhealthy! All of the medical problems that I had pre surgery are coming back and I am terrified! I feel lost and I need any advice that I can get right now.
poet_kelly
on 5/31/11 2:29 am - OH
Don't blame yourself.  The band does not work for many people.

Is RNY an option for you?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Sarah_Anne
on 5/31/11 2:31 am
Please understand one thing - you DID NOT fail the band.  The band is a piece of **** and it failed you.  It has a terrible track record of weight loss, horrible complications. Sure, there are a few people it did work for but the vast vast majority don't do well with it.  So firstly, quit blaming yourself.  You did nothing wrong.

Secondly,  start looking into getting a revision.  Learn about the duodenal stitch.  Best % weight loos of all the surgeries.  Best % of keeping the weight off long term.  Best post-op eating.  Check out DSFacts.com and the DS forum here on OH.

Good luck to you.

S

HW 315/ SW 297 /CW 173 /GW 150, size 8/10, 5'8 tall  (Updated December 1)
Donnamarie
on 5/31/11 2:52 am - NY

You've only been unfilled for around two months based on your post, so you are catching this very early.  Have you found a band doctor to help you while you are in Saudia Arabia?  That might help and perhaps you need a small fill to get you back to restriction. 

It's hard to say when there are no dates listed in your post.  You had the band in 2004 and now it's 2011.  Had you been fine up until two months ago?

Good luck in finding the answer!

"Accountability first to yourself, then nobody else matters"

"Just Elizabeth "
on 5/31/11 8:44 am - Houston, TX
I have had several friends who have had very similar problems with their band. My sister is having all sorts of problems with hers as well. This is not your fault.

Can you get to Kuwait? You can get a visit visa at the airport. There is a great surgeon over there. He did mine and my mother's DS, two of my friend's RNYs and maintains another friend's lap band. Kuwait is in the process of making itself the medical go to place in the Middle East and Dr. Khourseed is wonderful. If you are covered under National health care in Saudi you MIGHT also be covered in Kuwait.

Elizabeth                                                      
Back in the U.S.A.

"I have lost the lumbering hulk that I once was.  I don't hide behind my clothes or behind my door.  I am part of life's rich tapestry not an observer."  Kirmy

Hislady
on 5/31/11 10:18 am - Vancouver, WA
You are one of many unfortunately. My first advicxe is leave the band empty and see if you can get it out ASAP. Follow Elizabeths ideas as shes' been there done that and is a reliable source of info for that part of the world. I recently had mine emptied because of similar issues and I'd rather be fat than put up with the hassles of the band. The main thing is to get medical attention as soon as you possibly can. Also check the failed lap band board here at OH, you'll see there are plenty of others like yourself. You haven't failed anything, we're finding more and more everyday that the band isn't what it is supposed to be!
beemerbeeper
on 5/31/11 11:41 am - AL
You did not fail.  The lapband failed.

Look into the DS.  Go for the surgery with the best outcomes in everything that is measured in scientific studies (except resolution of GERD).

The DS has the best long term results.  The best resolution of co-morbidities.  The best/most forgiving eating plan.

You've had one failed surgery.  Go for the one LEAST likely to fail you this time.

www.DSFacts.com

~Becky

sweetpotato1959
on 5/31/11 11:52 am
 Adele,
         Others have experience with  the failed systems...., a different surgery worked for me.  
            I have read enough on this board to know that the band  works for some few and more often doesn't.
          Please research to see which surgical option  is right for you... someone has mentioned the DS, most of the time they work well, the surgery that I had 17 years ago has components of that surgery in addition to  other surgeries.  
          Be aware that  every  surgery has  pro's and cons. ...with your knowledge of your family history and your personal history,  you will be able to evaluate which  set of cir****tances you will be able to cope with.
       Meinwhile, do what you can to minimize your  gain... choose what you can do,( I went on a diet of canned tuna, chicken and string beans one time)  long term to control the gain until you can get this issue addressed.    Take care of yourself and remember that you are worth the effort...you are worth this expense. sweetpotato
Most Active