Protein is your friend!

Just Ducky - The
Meditative Hag

on 6/19/11 9:47 am - Belleville, IL
Protein...Most new post ops have Soooo many questions about it, "hate it" or choke it down and barely get enough of it! REGARDLESS of your surgery type here is a primer on Protein for you.

There are Sooooo many Protein type supplements and shakes and they are CRUCIAL to your sucess (or failure).

Whey Isolate is the preferred one (milk protien) which is found in everything from Muscle Milk to Pure Protein powder and everything innbetween. Get something that has at LEAST 20 grams of protein per serving. Right now I like Gladiator Whey Isolate (From Smoothie King)

Soy Isolate: for those who are Lactose intolerant or get sick from dairy products.

Egg White Protein: These are sold often at GNC, vitamin shoppe, etc. Get one that has at LEAST 16grams of protein per serving and LESS than 8 carbs and NO (or less than 2 grams) sugar

Hemp Protein Powder: You can buy this from Amazon, etc...No, it won't make you "high" or hungry, but is is a GREAT protein with a lot of Omega 3's and 6's. Usually has around 15-18 grams of protein per serving. Mix in a smoothie with Almond (or Soy milk) and Torani syrups and maybe 1/2 banana or a few frozen Blue berries! Yum!

RICE protein... Another "novelty" protein. This and Hemp Protein are GREAT for people who are more sensitive to Whey Isolate and/or Soy Isolate or who want to be strictly vegan/vegetarian or have no GMO products in their smoothie...

The RIGHT way to make a Protein Supplement.
Mix 1-2 scoops (per directions) with 8oz of either Skim Milk, or SOY milk or Almond Milk. Skim milk is preferred, but Soy Milk or Almond milk can do. Add in your Blender or use a "stick" blender or "Magic Bullet" type blender.
Add 2-3 of the following. 2 Tablespoons of GREEK yogurt (preferrably UNFLAVORED or Vanilla)
1/4 cup frozen Blueberries (No sugar added), 1/2  of a SMALL banana, Torani Syrups of your choice (I LOVE the almond ones, vanilla ones and the Cinnamon Brown surgar ones). Make sure they are SUGAR FREE Torani (or Da Vinci) syrups.

IF you can tolerate it, add either 1 Tablespoon of Peanut Butter or Almond Butter or Cashew Butter (these go GREAT with the Hemp Protein!) Mix WELL in your blender with a few ice cubes...Enjoy!

Not every Shake/Smoothie is gonna taste "great"...Chances are you don't "love" the taste of chewable vitamins or calcium either. Think of your supplement shake as MEDICINE.......Because that is what it is...........M E D I C I N E!!!

You MUST get 60-100 grams of protein a DAY. I can eat steak, chicken and any protein. I am also a very serious bodybuilder, so I do a big shake with 2-3 types of protein to build muscle. I have no loose skin after losing nearly 130 lbs.

Once you are about 2-3 months post op, you can do half a Protein Bar instead.
Rules for Protein Bars...
Must have LESS than 10 grams of sugar. (PER SERVING!)
Must have LESS than 10 grams of Carbohydrates (even complex kinds)
Must have at LEAST 16 grams of protein.

Examples of such bars....
Quest Bars
Pure Protein Bars
etc...

Once you are 4 months out (or per your surgeons instructions) BEEF or TURKEY Jerky can be added!

Rules for Jerky:
Avoid the Teryaki type or any that have MORE than 3 grams of sugar.
Jack Links makes a GREAT Beef Jerky and Turkey Jerky...Or...Save a ton of money and make your own at home! (Google "Beef (Turkey) Jerky recipes) this is always good to have on hand to eat in emergencies or to get your protein count up.

Things to AVOID: Ensure, Boost, Slim Fast, etc....Noneof those have ANY decent protein (that we can digest) and they have FAR to much carbs, sugars and High Fructose Corn Syrups....Blech!
Carnation Instant Breakfast (Sugar Free) is somewhat acceptable IF you use milk with it or soy milk.

Good luck and remember.......Protein is your friend and your medicine! Eat it up, yum!

Warmly,
Jackie   
MacMadame
on 6/19/11 4:29 pm - Northern, CA
Actually, whey protein isolate doesn't have lactose. Whey protein concentrate does though. Both have the exact same protein in them (whey) but the isolate has all the milk fats and lactose removed and concentrate doesn't.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Katari
on 6/20/11 2:47 am - OR
You failed to mention that you don't HAVE to use protein supplements if you can get in enough protein through food. I was able to get all my protein requirements starting about 2 to 21/2 weeks post op through food alone and didn't use any supplements at that point.

Also the recommended amount of protein according to ASMBS is 1 to 1.5/g per KG of ideal body weight. So if your ideal body weight is 128 pounds that would be 58kg. That way you can figure out what range you should be in depending on your height/ IBW (Ideal body weight). The taller you are the higher your IBW and the more protein you should be getting in. for example I'm 5'2 and should be 128 (which I am) and should be getting anywhere between 60 to 87g per day, If I was 6'6 My ideal body weight is now about 195 pounds or 88KG. which would mean my protein intake should be between 88 and 132 per day.

Where did you get your rules for protein bars?
I enjoy my Premier protein bars which are 30g protein, 24g net carbs, and 9g sugar per serving. Now I can't eat a whole one at a time as they make me feel so full, but I have no problem finishing one a day if it's a day I feel I need to add one in for the protein if I'm traveling and not eating as I normally would.

Katie 
Ht. 5'2  HW 234/GW 150/LW 128/CW 132 
Size 18/20 to a size 4 in 9 months!

MacMadame
on 6/20/11 4:44 am - Northern, CA
"Where did you get your rules for protein bars? "

Well, honestly, most of his "rules" are just opinions. Which he's entitled to, but I happen to disagree with a lot of them.

The thing is, we have to make our food choices in the context of our entire diet. Having some handy-dandy rules of thumb can make our lives easier sometimes, but in the long run life is too complex to eat by a set of arbitrary rules.

Heck, I sometimes eat protein bars that have 22 grams of *sugar* let alone carbs. But (a) I haven't got RnY so I don't have to fear dumping, (b) I'm eating them in the context of endurance workouts where consuming simple carbs is a must, and (c) I still keep my overall sugar and carb consumption over the entire day well within reasonable ranges.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Just Ducky - The
Meditative Hag

on 6/20/11 11:22 am - Belleville, IL
MacMadame:
Thank you for correcting me on the Whey Isolate. However, I do know some people here in fact who are lactose intolerant and cannot do Whey Isolate... I know also on all my Whey Isolate protein containers for Allergy information it always says the words: Contains Milk Products.

I just posted my rules which have worked for me. I made this post because many Bandsters and RNY folks have posted they have problems with Red meat (Steak, Lamb, goat, veal, etc) I do not, I can eat anything. I am also a serious weight lifter and body builder and in order to build lean muscle I do a lot of protein... I cannot eat 4-6 10 oz steaks a day to get my 100+ grams of protein in, so I do shakes.
Most serious bodybuilders and many atheletes do.

While I do NOT dump, carbs are something I really try and avoid if at all possible...Obviously it has worked for me. I am a year out, over 130+ lbs down and have no loose skin and compete in amateur female bodybuilding.

For someone who just one year ago was nearly 300 lbs, I am doing something right, eh?

My 1 year surgiversary is coming up in 9 days and I will post photos before and after as well as my "guns".  I am 158 lbs but wear a very loose size 8. I can bench press well over 100 lbs and more importantly I am healthy and happy at age 47. (Not bad for an Old Lady!)

I made the post since so many "newbies and newly post ops" complain that they cannot get all their protein in, and so I offered a post of what *I* do to get all my protein in, and what choices there are.

Frankly, there is nothing WRONG with drinking a shake or two as long as it is low carb and low to no sugar. (As always consult with your doctor/surgeon).

Best of luck, and congrats on your WLS journey.
Warmly,
Jackie

Just Ducky - The
Meditative Hag

on 6/20/11 11:27 am - Belleville, IL
Since the "edit/quick edit" isn't working, I also wanted to say that my 7 month out photo is posted under my Profile (where you can see my muscle there).

You are right, I have RNY and while I have never dumped, it is a habit (eating high carbs) I just do not want to get into...For ME (and this is only me personally and my genetics) to many carbs will slow my Weight Loss and muscle definition down. My genetics and heritage (Romanian/Hungarian/German) require a lot of protein.

I often have steak and eggs for breakfast, Sushi for lunch (lots of raw salmon and tuna, etc)

Snack may be some beef or turkey jerky and snack two is often a very high protein shake either pre gym workout or post gym workout. At night sometimes I will have 8oz of a high protein shake on days I have done supersets of weight lifting at the gym (worked harder than usual).

Good luck and good health.
Warmly,
Jackie

Just Ducky - The
Meditative Hag

on 6/20/11 11:34 am - Belleville, IL
Katie:
Those protein bars sound WONDERFUL! I am a bit more strict on posting some rules, especially for newbies or those who are endulging too much sugar or carbs. (and sadly some do. I met one lady on here, who's surgeon 4 years ago did not even EXPLAIN dumping to her or what caused it!)

Your protein bars are fine, and in fact I may try them! But my post was mainly for newbies or those who didn't understand a lot of label reading. In the beginning I was quite strict with my carb/sugar intake. (Even though I don't dump at all....And yes, I have eaten pasta, full sugar desserts etc) but this was when i was well over 6 months post op, and it is something I *rarely do*

Thank you for sharing the info on your protein bar, have you checked out YouBars??? They can be a wee bit pricey, but they are very good! (Taste wonderful and have a higher complex carb count) they do make one for training that has a carb count of around 10 and 2grams sugar (or less).

But Google YouBar and it is great for people who need to have some emergency snacks. In fact if you let them know you are a Bariatric paitient they will work with you to make sure the sugars and such are kept at a very minimum.

Warmly,
Jackie

Most Active