Banana Bread Need a Substitute for 1 Ingredient ...Help!

huskergalWsD
on 6/25/11 1:23 pm
Has anyone made Banana Bread the Healthy way? My recipe ingredients are these
           2 cups all purpose flour
           1 t. baking soda
           1/4 t. salt
           1/2 cup butter
           3/4 cup brown sugar
           2 eggs Beaten
           2 cups mashed overrippened Bananas
I want to eliminate the butter. Can anything else be used?  I have used pumpkin when making cakes. but dont think that would work in this case, would taste to much like pumpkin, not 'Banana' Bread,,and still get good texture and still have that delish Banana taste to it? thanks for any help into this..Peace Wendy

7stents (2003)...Heart Attack(2004)...Open Heart (2004)....Wls (2007)...Heart attack 2012...1 stent (2012)...Heart Attack (2013)...Heart Attack (2013)...1 stent(2013)
~~~Best Vitamin For Making Friends  B1~~~

nightbird
on 6/25/11 1:52 pm - Bowie, MD
 I usually substitute oil or butter with baby food organic carrots or prunes.  I made the sugar free Pillsbury cake today with one small container of organic baby food carrots and 1/3 cup of oil instead of a cup of oil.
Bette B.
on 6/25/11 1:53 pm
 From helium.com:

Muffin and cake recipes are much easier to replace butter in. The more liquid in a recipe, the less vital butter is to the recipe. You might want to try a smaller batch of the recipe the first time you use a substitute. I've generally found that the following replacements work really well, particularly if you measure them just shy of the 1-for-1 replacement and add a teaspoon of oil. Also, don't over mix your recipe. The more you stir while adding the dry ingredients, the greater potential for over development of the gluten in the flour.

Good Fat Replacements For Baking:
* unsweetened applesauce - adds no flavor, but can make your baked goods chewier
* pureed prunes - prunes have a distinctive flavor, so unless you love the taste of prunes, only use them in recipes that have a lot of strong flavor, like chocolate or spice cake.
* fat-free yogurt (regular, greek, or soy) - adds protein to your recipe and can sometimes make recipes a little too moist.
* you can also mix these together to create a custom butter replacement

There are many ways to replace the butter in your recipes, but the most important thing is to experiment and decide the best combinations of butter replacers for your favorite recipe!

Banded 10 years & maintaining my weight loss!! Any questions, message me.

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 6/25/11 2:05 pm
 If pumpkin can't work, I usually go with apple sauce, or mashed beans - like re-fried, but not the kind with fat. 

Replacing the butter with a healthy oil can work too. I like coconut oil in baked stuff.
nsblue
on 6/26/11 12:32 am - Brookfield. NS, Canada

in a recipe i use it still uses some marg and yogert.... i only have a very small piece for special occassions

Splenda Banana Marble Cake

1 1/2 c All purpose flour
3/4 c Splenda granular sugar substitute
1 1/2 t Baking powder
1 t Baking soda
1/2 t Salt
1/4 c Soft margarine
2 Eggs
1 c Mashed ripe bananas (2 -large)
1 t Vanilla
3/4 c 2% plain yogurt

MARBLE:
2 tbsp cocoa
1 tbsp splenda granular sugar substitute

Combine flour, splenda, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside. In large mixer bowl, beat margarine, eggs, banana and vanilla until smooth. Blend in flour mixture alternately with yogurt, beating just until smooth after each addition. Measure out 3/4 cup batter and stir in cocoa and splenda for marble. Pour plain batter into greased 9 inch square baking pan. Spoon chocolate batter on top. Draw knife through batters to creat marbled effect. Bake at 350F for 25-30 minutes or until tester inserted in centre comes out clean. Cool on rack. Makes 12 servings.

Per serving:
Energy: 141 calories
Protein: 3.9 g
Fat: 5.3 g
Corbo: 19.9 g

Tracy C.
on 6/26/11 12:54 am - Canada
 I make an easy banana bread I think I got from the Kraft Kitchens book:
 1 egg
1 1/3 cup mashed banana (about 3 or 4)
1/2 cup miracle whip (I use the light)
1 1/2 cups flour
1 cup of sugar ( I use 1/4 cup of brown sugar and 3/4 cup of splenda)
1/2 cup walnuts (optional)
1tsp baking soda
1tsp salt
Preheat oven to 350 
Beat egg, banana, Miracle whip in a bowl, Mix dry ingredients in separate bowl. Add to wet and stir till just moistened. Bake in a greased bread pan for 1hr. Cool in pan for 10m.
This turns out moist and delicious everytime. You can use all splenda but everything turns out better if you use a little sugar. But you don't have to use the real stuff it still turns out great!!
Hope you enjoy
Tracy C

Most Active