Shaming people does NOT help them lose weight.

So Blessed!
on 6/30/11 4:51 am
 FYI -  I'd have pasted a link, but it's password protected.

Weight Stigma: Health Implications: Weight Stigma Is Not an Effective Motivator for Lifestyle Changes

Rebecca M. Puhl, PhD

Director of Research and Research Scientist, Yale University, Rudd Center for Food Policy & Obesity, New Haven, Connecticut

Despite a common public perception that stigmatizing obese individuals might provide necessary incentive to engage in healthier lifestyle behaviors, the science suggests that the opposite is true. If weight stigma were effective in promoting healthier lifestyle behaviors and weight loss, then the increased weight stigmatization witnessed over the past several decades should be accompanied by a reduction in obesity rates. Not only are more people in the United States now obese, but more obese people are also reporting discrimination on the basis of their weight.

Recent research demonstrates that obese children and adults who experience weight stigma have a higher likelihood of engaging in unhealthy eating behaviors and lower levels of physical activity, both of which exacerbate obesity and weight gain. For example, overweight children who experience body weight-related teasing are more likely to engage in binge-eating and unhealthy weight control behaviors compared with overweight peers who are not teased, even after controlling for BMI and socioeconomic status.[11,13] In addition, weight-based victimization is associated with lower levels of physical activity, negative attitudes about sports, and lower participation in physical activity by overweight students.[14] This is perhaps not surprising because overweight and obese youth are frequently teased during gym class and physical activities.[15]

Similar findings exist for overweight and obese adults, who engage in more frequent binge-eating, are at increased risk for maladaptive eating patterns, and report lower motivation and participation in exercise if they have been stigmatized about their weight.[6,16,17] In fact, some research shows that adults report coping with experiences of weight stigma by eating. In 1 study of more than 2400 overweight and obese women, 79% reported coping with weight stigmatization by eating more food, and 75% reported coping by refusing to diet.[18] Individuals who internalize weight stigma and blame themselves also report more frequent binge-eating compared with adults who did not internalize stigma.[19]

Finally, evidence suggests that weight stigma interferes with weight loss behavior. In more than 1000 overweight and obese women participating in a weight-loss support program, experiences and internalization of stigma did not predict adoption of weight-loss strategies.[19] Weight stigmatization is also associated with greater caloric intake, higher program attrition, lower energy expenditure, less exercise, and less weight loss in treatment-seeking overweight and obese adults.[20]

Kim S.
on 6/30/11 5:35 am - Helena, AL
No surprises here-thanks for sharing.

So Blessed!
on 6/30/11 10:58 pm

You're welcome.
no_more_rolls
on 6/30/11 6:39 am, edited 6/30/11 6:39 am - Jackson, MI
Where's the "like" button? 
Winning isn't everything, but wanting to win is.  
DONT BE AFRAID TO FAIL......BE AFRAID NOT TO TRY! 
highest weight 313/ surgery 255 / current 185 / goal 135  Height 5'6"

Elizabeth N.
on 6/30/11 6:45 am - Burlington County, NJ
What? You mean "interventions" don't help? Imagine that!

So Blessed!
on 6/30/11 10:53 pm
Fo' Shizzle My Sizzle
on 6/30/11 6:48 am
I love shame, but not for those reasons, lol...
For great WLS info join me here weightlosssurgery.proboards.com and here www.dsfacts.com

So Blessed!
on 6/30/11 10:57 pm

Hmmmm....  I'm curious, but I'm scared to ask. 
Fo' Shizzle My Sizzle
on 6/30/11 11:43 pm
Hahahah, shame means I've been naughty... and I like being naughty... HEEEEEEEE!
For great WLS info join me here weightlosssurgery.proboards.com and here www.dsfacts.com

MsBatt
on 6/30/11 10:30 am
It's a shame a certain deactivated member isn't still around to read this. Perhaps you could PM it to CherryBabe/SleeveFool, who seems to be in constant contact with the OP of the "Help" thread...
Most Active