OT: Any Bakers out there? Need advice

mitzi_from_maui
on 7/1/11 5:45 pm
I need a good quality food dye for different colored frostings. Can anyone make a suggestion?
(deactivated member)
on 7/1/11 10:22 pm - Bayonne, NJ
I generally use Wilton's colors. A little goes a long way and they'e readily available at craft stores. If you want to airbrush your frosting, Americolor makes some great stuff.

My favorite place to shop for my baking addiction is NY Cake and Baking Supply on 22nd in NYC. They ship all over the world. http://www.nycake.com/ I could live in that store, they have everything.
mitzi_from_maui
on 7/2/11 2:11 pm
awesome info thanks so much
redsnapper1975
on 7/2/11 2:03 am
I use wilton- but probably any gel would work well.  Just don't use liquid.  I can get wilton at Michael's and JoAnn etc close by, so I go with that.  Used to have an AWESOME cake decorating store close by that went out of business.    I could get premade sugar eyes and flowers there... can't find the eyes anywhere else and they were perfect for some cookies I make- boo hoo!  You could search and see if there's a cake store near where you live.
~ Kim

(deactivated member)
on 7/2/11 2:52 am
I like Wilton's and like the other posters you can find them at Wal-Mart, Party City and other places. My sister (who can decorate a cake) like www.sugarcraft.com

Noel
dragonflydiva
on 7/2/11 3:58 am, edited 7/2/11 3:58 am
I also use the Wilton gels. You can mix them in or paint them on for more vibrant colors (I use a tiny bit of vodka on my brush when I paint with them).
 It's never too late to be what you might have been. ~ George Eliot  

5'10"  Pre-op 315  SW 307  CW 216 SGW 174 MGW 160

Mia H.
on 7/3/11 12:24 am - OH
 I have a cake biz and use the gel colors all the time.  I have used Wilton's and they are good plus they are readily available.  However, my preference is Americolor.  They have such a wide variety of colors and you use a little (less than Wiltons) to get the vibrant color.  Also they come in squeeze bottles which is great than using toothpicks.  If you have a Hobby Lobby near you, they sell Americolors plus many cake supply stores online do too. 

Most Active