Need Information on Raw Black Beans

huskergalWsD
on 7/27/11 10:41 am
I have posted this once before..I am trying to find out what the effects are of eating uncooked black beans...my fiance crushes them in the blender and mixes them in hamburger and tuna to get "extra fiber" well last post someone said they are toxic, I want to read about this, get the truth,, I googled it and didnt get anywhere with answers and forgot to bring this up at my doctors office today.. does anyone know of a link that can give me the truth about the effects on  eating uncooked black beans? thanks Peace, Wendy

7stents (2003)...Heart Attack(2004)...Open Heart (2004)....Wls (2007)...Heart attack 2012...1 stent (2012)...Heart Attack (2013)...Heart Attack (2013)...1 stent(2013)
~~~Best Vitamin For Making Friends  B1~~~

MsBatt
on 7/27/11 11:28 am
Does he cook the hamburger or tuna after he mixes in the mashed beans? How long as he been doing this?

And---do they come out of a can? 'Cause if they do, they've been cooked some before they're canned.
huskergalWsD
on 7/27/11 12:38 pm
Ms Batt
yes he cooks the hamburger after he mixes the black beans in it, No he does not cook the tuna before or after  he mixes the black beans..

7stents (2003)...Heart Attack(2004)...Open Heart (2004)....Wls (2007)...Heart attack 2012...1 stent (2012)...Heart Attack (2013)...Heart Attack (2013)...1 stent(2013)

hollykim
on 7/27/11 1:53 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
I don't know about their toxicity raw or any links but for,you,I would think it would be dangerous cause they have to draw water from somewhere it they are put in food that is not very moise  and when they go into your pouch,I would be afraid they would draw water from there and swell in your pouch.

Might be ok for him since he is unaltered but I wouldn't do it if it was me. Why doesn't he just cook them and eat them?

huskergalWsD
on 7/27/11 3:45 pm
Thanks, I will get on his case to change this, I have made them  from a can but the burger keeps falling apart that way. I prefer them cooked, taste much better i think..

MsBatt
on 7/28/11 12:49 am
You got me curious and I did a little reading. Seems there's something in black beans that tastes BAD, but which is destroyed by cooking. Make him cook 'em!

If he's mixing them in hamburger and then cooking it, the beans get cooked too, so they should taste all right that way. Egg and oatmeal make a good 'filler' for hamburger, too.
So Blessed!
on 7/28/11 1:05 am

I found this

Naturally Occurring Food Toxins

Laurie C. Dolan *, Ray A. Matulka and George A. Burdock

Burdock Group, 801 N. Orange Ave., Suite 710, Orlando FL 32801, USA; E-Mails: [email protected] (R.A.M.); [email protected] (G.A.B.)

* Author to whom correspondence should be addressed; E-Mail: [email protected]; Tel.: +1-407-802-1400; Fax: +1-407-802-1405.

Received: 12 August 2010; in revised form: 2 September 2010 / Accepted: 13 September 2010 / Published: 20 September 2010

Toxins 2010, 2, 2289-2332; doi:10.3390/toxins2092289

4.2.8. Lectins in legumes

Lectins are a group of glycoproteins that are present in high levels in legumes (e.g., black beans, soybeans, lima beans, kidney beans and lentils) and grain products [73,74]. Lectins can reversibly bind to carbohydrates without altering their covalent structure [73]. The ability of lectins to bind to and agglutinate red blood cells is well known and used for blood typing—hence the lectins are commonly called hemagglutinins. Lectins also can bind avidly to mucosal cells and interfere with nutrient absorption from the intestine [75]. Because the ability of the lectins to cause intestinal malabsorption is dependent on the presence of enteric bacteria, it has been hypothesized that lectins may also produce toxicity by facilitating bacterial growth in the GI tract [76].

Lectins isolated from black beans can produce growth retardation when fed to rats at 0.5% of the diet, and lectin from kidney beans causes death within two weeks when fed to rats at 0.5% of the diet. Soybean lectin produces growth retardation when fed to rats at 1% of the diet. The castor bean lectin ricin (one of the most toxic natural substances known) is notorious for causing deaths of children, and has been used as an instrument of bioterrorism [75].

Phytohaemagglutinin (PHA) is a lectin found in significant quantities (as much as 2.4–5% of total protein) in legumes such as red or white kidney beans, green beans and fava beans. PHA has a number of different properties, including the ability to induce mitosis, affect membrane transport and permeability to proteins, and agglutinate red blood cells. Rats fed a diet containing 6% PHA exhibit weight loss, associated with malabsorption of lipid, nitrogen and vitamin B12 [76]. PHA from red kidney beans inhibits sodium and chloride absorption in the rabbit ileum, indicating that PHA can affect electrolyte transport in the gut [77]. Symptoms of toxicity to PHA in humans such as nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea occur within three hours of ingestion. Recovery generally occurs within four or five hours of onset [78].

There are no FDA regulations or guidelines restricting the presence of lectins in food, but the FDA does provide recommended cooking practices prior to consuming legumes. Concentrations of PHA (and other lectins) are higher in uncooked than cooked beans. A raw, red kidney bean can contain up to 70,000 hemagluttinating units (hau). Most lectins are reduced by moist, but not dry heat. Therefore, steaming or boiling causes a significant reduction in concentrations of lectins in beans. Boiling for at least ten minutes has been shown to reduce hau in beans by 200-fold. Because cooking temperatures under 176 °F do not destroy lectin, use of slow cooking and/or a crockpot is not advised for cooking beans [79].

http://www.mdpi.com/2072-6651/2/9/2289/pdf

Most Active