Letting my surgeon decide

frostylost
on 7/27/11 3:05 am
Ok A lot of people may think this is foolish but I'm just really ready to get the surgery itself behind me...regardless of which one I get. Sooo I'm just gonna let my surgeon make the final decision.  I have it narrowed down to 2 choices...RNY or VSG, he performs both. I have read and read and read til I'm tired of reading and researching. I think I am very well inormed as to possible complications and pros/cons of both surgeries. I would really love to have the sleeve and not worry with the malabsorption issues BUT at my initial consult with the surgeon he suggested I go with RNY because of GERD issues. I already have a surgery date 8/29 for RNY but I plan to further discuss the VSG possibility when I go for pre-op. If he insists I stick with RNY then I guess RNY it will be. I have confidence in his expertise and have done a lot of praying about it so I believe in the end it will work out for whats best for me. Wish me luck and keep me in your prayers please!
 ~I live each day in victory...because of the one who died for me~

HW: 289    SW:276    CW: 222  GW: 135~~~~~Monthly lbs lost> M1=15 M2=15 M3=14
MsBatt
on 7/27/11 3:16 am, edited 7/26/11 6:33 pm
Have you read this thread? www.obesityhelp.com/forums/amos/4430150/Before-you-choose-Ga stric-Bypass-RNY-Read-This/#36623665

Your sig line tells me you're a Christian. As such, you're accustomed to putting your fate into your god's hands---but your surgeon is NOT a god. He's not all-knowing, all-powerful, and, frankly, he's *probably* more interested in what's best for him than what's best for you. This a decision that YOU need to make, because YOU are the one who will have to live with the consequences for the REST OF YOUR LIFE.

God helps those who help themselves. Help YOURSELF.
k9ophile
on 7/27/11 3:21 am
  What Ms. Batt said.  Your surgeon may be terrific, yet you are the one who has to live with any surgery after it's performed.  God also gave us brains so that we may think for ourselves.  Please use yours.

"Our ultimate freedom is the right and power to decide how anybody or anything outside ourselves will affect us."  Stephen Covey

Don't litter!  Spay or neuter your pet

petiteposies
on 7/27/11 5:23 am - FL
ditto MsBatt....!
So Blessed!
on 7/27/11 3:36 am

NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

Amy W.
on 7/27/11 3:48 am - Bellingham, WA
On an encouraging note...I had the RNY on 7/8/2011 and all symptoms of my extreme case of GERD have disappeared. It is actually one of the main reasons my surgeon AND I decided on the RNY. This procedure has more than a 95% cure rate for GERD and is also one of the most effective when it comes to bottom line weight loss/bmi reduction. I would not presume to advise you as to which procedure would be best for you, just thought you might like to hear my experience with WLS and GERD. Best of luck in whatever you decide and I hope we can continue to support you throughout this experience.

waist @ 29.5 in, chest @ 33 in, hips @ 35 in, thighs @ 21 in...inspiration can lead to greatness whether it comes from within or from others, rock it out girls and guys!   
H.A.L.A B.
on 7/27/11 4:01 am
hmmm...
" also one of the most effective when it comes to bottom line weight loss/bmi reduction"

More efefctive is DS, and there is not study about long term weight loss and maintance post op VSG.  I bet it would be right there if not better that RNY.  with much less complications and vitamins - minerals deficiencies.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Amy W.
on 7/27/11 4:21 am - Bellingham, WA
Key words being “ONE OF the most effective…" I never stated it was the most effective. In all actuality there have not been enough long term and thorough studies on any of the surgeries to effectively determine that any are better than the others. We simply have to go with the data that is available and our own desires/health concerns, etc…and make the best decision for ourselves. I do not believe that I have alluded to anything different than this statement.

waist @ 29.5 in, chest @ 33 in, hips @ 35 in, thighs @ 21 in...inspiration can lead to greatness whether it comes from within or from others, rock it out girls and guys!   
MsBatt
on 7/27/11 11:31 am
"Key words being “ONE OF the most effective…"

Since there are only four....
girlygirl1313
on 7/27/11 9:14 pm - Davidson, NC
 Give her a break Batt, she's ALMOST a whole month out of surgery! 

Most Active