New to the Journey

Hippy-Chick
on 8/9/11 1:02 pm - Bellefontaine, OH
I have been reading the posts on this forum for the past few weeks, and I finally took the plunge and joined.  I have appreciated the wealth of information and support that the members of this forum have to offer.  

I submitted several years of dieting and medical documentation, along with numerous letters and I was approved by my insurance- UHC Choice Plus in less than a week for RNY Gastric bypass!    I am so excited for this change in my life.  I have not received scheduling info yet.  My surgery will be performed by Dr. Custer at a Barix clinic. 

I have been dieting for the past 36 of 48 years, so this decision is long overdue.

Any words of wisdom or encouragement would be appreciated.  It took me so long to make this decision, and although I feel fortunate- I feel pretty vulnerable too.

SBSIMMONS69
on 8/9/11 8:16 pm - OH

Hello and congrats on your decision.  I just joined the board also.  I am just beginning to collect all my info for UHC Choice Plus and hopefully I will get approved.  I am nervous and excited about this new journey.

Hippy-Chick
on 8/10/11 11:17 am - Bellefontaine, OH

Thank you.  Good luck to you as well!

I collected quite a bit of documentation, which took alot of time, but I am glad I did.  The UHC plan is great!

Kathleen W.
on 8/9/11 11:53 pm - Lancaster, PA
Make sure you follow the dietary guidelines from the dietician both before and after your surgery.  Get support from either the centers' support system, here on OH, where ever you can talk to others that are losing weight from wls.  Taking your supplements is MANDATORY (multivitamins, calcium, iron). The mantra for those of us that had an rny is that protein is king and plenty of fluids. Excercise.  See if your center has a physiologist and fitness center on hand. And last, but not least, listen to what your body tells you.  Having wls and listening to your body's cues will get you to where you want to be.
Did you set up a surgery date yet?
Good luck.

SW 327
GW 150
CW 126

Hippy-Chick
on 8/10/11 11:30 am - Bellefontaine, OH
Hello, and thank you for the advice!

I plan to take advantage of all the staff and services that the clinic offers.    I do not have my pat or surgery dates yet.  I am trying to juggle work and other obligations first. My goal for surgery is  someetime in November :)
Kathleen W.
on 8/11/11 2:00 am - Lancaster, PA
Good Luck.  It's so worth it.

SW 327
GW 150
CW 126

Most Active