If I am cold at night...Should I wear a nightcap??

cabin111
on 8/30/11 3:24 pm
So as many of you know...Post WLS you can get cold (very cold in the winter).  Throw fashion out the window...I'm turning 56 in September!!  Would it make sense to wear a nightcap for warmth?  Yeah, yeah, I know you want to make the Santa Claus jokes...I've always been a pragmatic person...SOOOO??
Rasta Imposta Men's Nightcap
qnmimi
on 8/30/11 3:40 pm - Cottage Grove, MN
IDK about you, but wearing a nice fuzzy cap sounds really good when you are trying to find enough blankets to keep warm. So, do you have a fashion statement to make when you go to bed? If so, just wear the right colors with the right PJ's, and VOILA......STYLIN! Seriously, wearing a cap sure beats feeling too cold, and you do have a lot of essential heat loss through your scalp.

MsBatt
on 8/30/11 3:51 pm
My uncle had scarlet fever in his twenties, and soon thereafter went totally bald. He wore a nightcap winter and summer because his head got cold at night.

They say we lose a significant portion of our body heat from our heads. Wearing a nightcap makes sense to me!

I am post-menopausal and still having hot flashes---but since WLS, my FEET are always cold! I wear wool socks to bed.
MacMadame
on 9/1/11 6:54 am, edited 9/1/11 7:08 am - Northern, CA
Hey, Ms Batt. It turns out it's a bit of a myth that we lose a significant portion of our heat from our heads. In fact, it turns out we lose a pretty steady amount of heat from all over our body.

The reason it seems like we lose a lot from our heads is that we tend to cover everything else so then the head, hands and feet becomes an easy place where heat can escape. But, if we are naked, our heads wouldn't give off more heat than any other part of our bodies.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

MsBatt
on 9/1/11 7:02 am
That makes sense---but he'd still be warmer with a nightcap. (*grin*)

My head is almost always HOT, but I think it's due to hot flashes. At times my feet are ice and my head feels like my hair might catch fire any minute!
MacMadame
on 9/1/11 12:19 pm - Northern, CA
 Something to look forward too??? 

MsBatt
on 9/1/11 1:32 pm
LOL! I was complaining about the hot flashes down at the Community Club one day, and this 80-year-old told me she's STILL having them...
MacMadame
on 9/1/11 2:43 pm - Northern, CA
 Nooooooooooo!

MsBatt
on 9/2/11 12:14 am
That's what I said! But so far, I've been dealing with this for EIGHT YEARS---enough is enough!
Amy Farrah Fowler
on 8/30/11 8:38 pm
my dad is bald, and sleeps in a soft knit ski cap to keep his noggin warm.
Most Active