How long should I wait to get my ring resized?

kbowman2
on 9/3/11 7:50 am
28 Pounds to goal. Not sure if I'll get there or not since I am VERY happy at my current size but here's my question... My fingers are long and slender.  Not much meat left on them.  I desperately need my wedding ring resized.  It was a 9 and I'm more like a 6 now.  How much longer should I wait????  I miss my ring so much.  I can't see losing much more on my fingers.  How much longer should I wait?  I am almost a year and a half out and still losing slowly.
Other questions if you know... my ring is platinum and I don't want to lose all that precious metal. 
Do they or can they redo the ring adding in whatever they cut out to make the band nicer and thicker?

Thank you for the input!!!

Kim
Heaviest 397/ Before Surgery 367/ Lowest 170/ Current 185

(deactivated member)
on 9/3/11 8:22 am
They can't add it back to the ring, but if it is thin, it can be re-shanked. Being plat, it would be expensive to re-shank it.. also at the stores where I worked, you could request the scrap back.. but unless you are saving old scrap to turn in to a refiner (don't ever go to one of those "we buy gold" places.. you can go direct to refiners and get better $$) then it may not be worth it to save that little bit..

I would personally wait till you are sure you are done losing, then resize. It stresses the ring every time you do it- and if any stones are channel set, there can be limits on how far up or down they can do it w/o causing the stones to become loose.
butercup
on 9/3/11 8:46 am - Kennewick, WA
I'm not resizing mine till I'm at goal.
Emily F.
on 9/3/11 8:51 am
I resized mine at 11 months. I got them as small as they can go to go over the knuckle. I've lost about 20 more lbs. but your knuckle is the same size.
Mary Catherine
on 9/3/11 9:17 am
 It is very normal to gain back about 20 pounds between years 2 and 3.  Getting the ring resized now should be just right for long term.
samsander
on 9/3/11 4:33 pm - CA
I got my (platinum) ring resized at 10 months... It was either that, or stop wearing it because it was so loose I was afraid I would lose it.

Went from a 7.5 to a 5!!!!

Mary SW 273  CW 158  GW 160

wendygail
on 9/3/11 8:36 pm - Live Oak, FL
I got mine re-sized at 2 years out. Have lost more weight in the last 2 years (I'm 4 years out), but still fit. If and when you lose the last of your weight, if the rings are lose, you could always get a guard. Good luck, and WTG on the weight loss
 It's a great day to be alive.        
thenecklacelady
on 9/3/11 9:55 pm
 One of the mistakes I made was not checking the size of EACH ring finger.  One is a 6.5 and one is a 7.  Both rings were resized to a 6.5, so my platinum ring is a little tight.

Julie6
on 9/3/11 11:08 pm
In the mean time you get some of those ring thingys (Don't know what they're called) at Walmart to put on the back of It's plastic and comes in a package of 5 or 6.  They're in the jewelry department just hanging on a rack with the other stuff.  That's what I've been using.  A little annoying but you get used to it and everyone can see you're married and hopefully won't get hit on.  Lol.
Julie Sadek    
LoraLeeME
on 9/3/11 11:24 pm
I had my wedding & anniversary rings sized at 4 months out. They went from a 8 & 8.5 to a 6. I was a week without them and it was weird. I don't think I'll lose much more in my hands since I can already see veins and tendons through the skin. I guess it depends on how much you have to lose overall.

Most Active