Giving Blood

kathylovesred
on 9/21/11 6:15 am - Helena, MT
I am more than two years out, and I am wondering about giving blood.  I know that, generally, it's not recommended if you're having trouble getting sufficient protein.  I wonder if the hemoglobin test would rule me out.  Pre-surgery, I gave blood every time I was eligible, largely because I have a rare blood type, and felt a little like it was a good thing to do.  My thinking was something along the lines of "Well, if I give blood now for someone who needs it, perhaps someone will give if I ever need it."

'Course I haven't given blood since WLS.  Anyone out there resume giving blood some time after GBP?

Kathy!
(Pre-op: 5'2", 292/277/148-Highest/at WLS/Current)
kathylovesredsmallcard.jpg picture by lynnca1972
Let God's presence settle into your bones, and allow your soul the freedom 
to sing, dance, praise, and love.  It is there for each and every one of us.

H.A.L.A B.
on 9/21/11 6:42 am
Hemoglobin test is not enough to determine if you are OK to give blood.

You need iron, iron saturation, ferritin, B12, etc, etc etc.
We have problem absorbing so many minerals and vitamins - that it may not be a good idea to give blood. 
3 years post op I needed to get iron infusions. I need weekly B12 shot, and still my RBC (count) is low.  We need copper, magnesium, etc, etc... to maintain a good supply of blood. 
With risks for surgery (complications, hernia) risk for bleeding ulcers ... as good as it may sound - giving blood after RNY - may not be in a best interest for you. 

BTW: I work really hard to maintain my BP -  it is always low... that is also something you need to consider.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

kathylovesred
on 9/21/11 7:19 am - Helena, MT
Thanks, Hala.  Just needed that reminder.

Kathy

Kathy!
(Pre-op: 5'2", 292/277/148-Highest/at WLS/Current)
kathylovesredsmallcard.jpg picture by lynnca1972
Let God's presence settle into your bones, and allow your soul the freedom 
to sing, dance, praise, and love.  It is there for each and every one of us.

spedcon
on 9/21/11 11:31 am
Hi Kathy!
I give blood quite often. Medic just wanted an ok from my doctor...no problem since all my levels are great! I have never had an issue so far...just make sure it's ok with your doctor and I always drink more on the day I give. Good luck!      Connie
insearchofoz
on 9/25/11 10:42 am
I was told that for women after WLS, waiting at least 3 years is minimum and then you should talk to your Dr. I work for the Red Cross and give blood every time I can as well, so the news makes me sad that I won't be able to give after surgery, but I like to think that I have given enough O negative to earn a little break for ME! 
"There’s a reason I said I’d be happy alone. It wasn’t cause I thought I’d be happy alone. It was because I thought, if I loved someone and then it fell apart, I might not make it. It’s easier to be alone, because what if you learn that you need love, and then you don’t have it; what if you like it, and lean on it? What if you shape your life around it, and then it falls apart? Can you even survive that kind of pain? Losing love is like organ damage. It’s like dying. The only difference is death ends. This...it could go on forever." ~ Grey's Anatomy
Most Active