Thyroid meds and WLS

LaughingCow
on 11/3/11 7:38 am - VA
VSG on 02/01/12 with
Just curious if WLS usually changes the dosage for thyroid meds.  I can't see how it would change the actual functioning of the thyroid itself.  But would being lighter change how much med you need to keep you in the right range?
Amy
VSG on 2/1/12 with Dr. Halmi
trudylam
on 11/3/11 7:50 am - Sudbury, Canada
I had my thyroid removed about 10 years ago and I had my WLS 5 months agol.  I have dropped almost 100 pounds in 5 months and my TSH levels have gone wonky.  You just have to be monitored regularly until the weight loss evens out.  No big deal.  Best of luck to you.
italianspice
on 11/3/11 9:56 am - Eastlake, OH
Theorectically speaking (lesser body weight, lesser dose of med), but in light of malabsorption, not in my case. Have been on 50 mcgs of synthroid since radiation in 2005, but after surgery needing to increase my dose, now up to 75 mcgs daily and will get that rechecked again here shortly.

Just be aware and have your doc monitor your levels.

Good luck!

RedheadinVA
on 11/3/11 10:33 am
Yes, your weight loss will affect the dosage you need of your thyroid medication.  I have had mine reduced twice since my weight loss 1 year ago.

jkjstars123
on 11/3/11 1:33 pm - Tama, IA
Mine stayed the same

Julie

HW 304, SW 291, GW 160, CW 140 H-5'9.5"            

Krazydoglady
on 11/3/11 1:45 pm, edited 11/3/11 1:46 pm - FL

I am down 140lbs, and my dosage has not changed.  Having said that, I exercise quite a bit including strength training. My lean mass is very close to what it was when I started. Lean mass is metabolically active while fat is not. If you lose primarly fat, your thyroid hormone needs shouldn't change too much.

My TSH is lower --on the low-side, actually , but my T4, fT3, etc., are still fine.  I also have no hyperthyroid symptoms.  Technically, i have bradycarcia as my pulse is less than 60, and I pretty much freeze to death all the time (even living in Florida). It would be hard to suggest my dosage should be lowered. 

I have Grave's, and my thyroid was knocked out 17 years ago with radiation.  Having been both hyperthyroid and hypothyroid, I'm pretty sensitive to the clinical symptoms associated with both. My doctor tends to listen to me on the subject as a result.

Currently, I am on .224mg of levoxyl daily @ 150lbs. It's a full replacement dose.

Carolyn  (32 lbs lost Pre-op) HW: 291, SW: 259, GW: 129.5, CW: 126.4 

apple1975
on 11/4/11 11:55 pm
Omg! I have never met anyone who freezes to death like me! Even when I was 74 pounds heavier, I am so cold that it feels like my bones hurt. I had a total thyroidectomy for Hurthle cell changes and large masses on both sides (family history of thyroid cancer) My family is constanty making fun of me for being so cold. Especially at night ... I am the coldest. I am not sure about my heart rhythm. But it seems that I am super sensitive to other things as well.( noise, smells, basically easily irratated) I have wondered if there was another reason for me being so cold. I know others that have thyroid conditions that don't freeze like me. Sending you warm thoughts :) I want to move to Florida haha

255/160/140  *first goal reached 1/14/12     Phillipians 4:13
LaughingCow
on 11/9/11 1:13 am - VA
VSG on 02/01/12 with
Thank you all for your responses.  :)
Amy
VSG on 2/1/12 with Dr. Halmi
Most Active