Yaaaaa... I Regret This Wls. PLease Read Espically Reseachers on Wls

huskergalWsD
on 11/8/11 1:35 am
I've been holding this inside for a very long time..I want everyone to know this on the 'Main Forum', the 'Regrets Forum' rarely gets read. I very much regret having done this Wls...I have lost 110 lbs of the 120 needed to lose, and have maintained very well. surprising even to me. .I have not had one problem or any complications with this Wls but still regret it..

Researchers on Wls  please read this. I have had 9 heart surgeries , as you can see 7 stents and Open Heart... had Respitory Failure from Open Heart surgery. ...I think we all  say to ourselves deep down , it's better to lose weight on our own..I still can't do much after all my weight loss because of my heart condition, no amusement parks,  no hot tubs, etc. etc.many more things I could list more, but too long..  I have to remain on blood pressure meds for life. Which was one of my main goals before weight loss..I worry from day to day as I age. I am experiencing forgetfulness. I get fatigued easily. However I still manage to ride horses for an hour or two , here and there.

I don't think I need therapy for anxiety on this issue. My anxiety level would be much less if I'd Lost weight on my own..Tell  the truth , Do you have  daily anxiety P.O.? from Wls? ...thank you for your time..Peace, Love & Joy   Wendy

7stents (2003)...Heart Attack(2004)...Open Heart (2004)....Wls (2007)...Heart attack 2012...1 stent (2012)...Heart Attack (2013)...Heart Attack (2013)...1 stent(2013)
~~~Best Vitamin For Making Friends  B1~~~

M M
on 11/8/11 1:41 am
Are you okay?

You don't sound like yourself.

Please be well --  did something change recently?

I agree with the 'regrets forum' -- it's not enough.
Mom4Jazz
on 11/8/11 1:42 am
I know you say you don't need therapy, but it sounds like you might benefit from it. I know it has helped me in difficult periods of my life.

You say you'd be happier if you'd lost weight on your own. So would I. I tried and tried and tried, but I couldn't lose and maintain it. The science says 95% of people can't. I'd be happier if I could fly too, and my odds of that are only slightly lower than my odds were of losing weight on my own and keeping it off.

Weight loss surgery absolutely doesn't guarantee good health and happiness. It doesn't even guarantee long-term weight loss.

I hope you find peace on this. Please at least consider trying therapy.

Highest weight: 335 lbs, BMI 50.9
Pre-op weight: 319 lbs, BMI 48.5
Current range: 140-144, BMI 21.3 - 22

175+ lbs lost, maintaining since February 2012

Jenni_9yrspostop
on 11/8/11 6:36 am
Thanks for your post. I love reading ones from common sense people. How true. If we could lose on our own we wouldn't need surgery, For me it leveled the playing field. I could never lose down to a managable number, with surgery I can. Now maintaining is up to me. I can't believe
all the complications spoken about in the post are directly related to wls. My surgeon warned me that obese people aren't the healthiest going into surgery, but it's a last chance for most. I agree with you also on the therapy thing. Fo rmany it's a lifesaver.
Jen 10 yrs post op
MyLady Heidi
on 11/8/11 1:46 am
I am sorry you regret your surgery, it sounds more to me that you regret your medical issues that have nothing to do with your surgery that are holding you back from enjoying the things you would like too.  As for the other issues you mention, unfortunately we all age and it sucks but there is little you can do to prevent that.  The thing I have come to realize is you can never predict anything in life, never predict how losing weight will effect you or the others around you, never predict peoples reactions, never even predict your own reaction, and if you try to predict these things you would be wrong most of the time.  Everyones life is there own balance of good and bad and for you the bad is now outweighing the good and making you regret your surgery but really what are you warning people about, does it really have anything to do with wls or does it just have everything to do with the fact you are unhappy and wls was supposed to fix that and it didn't?  Just my 2 cents, feel free to tell me to go **** myself if you like.
InkdSpEdTchr
on 11/8/11 2:12 am
I'm confused, how did having WLS give you heart problems? It wasn't your obesity or genetics? My father was extremely healthy and had two major heart-attacks, so in his case it was wholly genetic.

I don't feel anxiety on a daily basis and I have lots of WLS friends who don't either, sounds as if you might really benefit from some counseling.

And yes-we all would have rather lost the weight without surgery, but #1 it wasn't happening and #2 it probably wouldn't have stayed off. 

I like many others lost large amounts of weight (100, and 85) only to gain them all back and then some.

I hope that you are surrounded by people that love and support you. Are you attending support groups? I personally find them very beneficial.

Wishing you peace and happiness,
:Danni

:Danni  >>>AIDS/LifeCycle 10 & 11 Finisher: 545miles on the bike in 7 days <<<
HW390/SW340/CW 208/GW170

huskergalWsD
on 11/8/11 2:13 am
It's the anxiety that makes me regret this Wls.. ANXIETY!!! I refuse to be on any anti depressants for that. I hear this from many other P.O. people also.. It's the MENTAL ANXIETY sorry, I should have explained that the first time.... If I miss taking my vitamins for 1 day i have burning in my back. Had to give up playing volleyball because of Arthiritis in my right elbow.my knees are bad.I have central sleep apnea.I can't think fast, my movements and thinking are very slow and causes alot of arguments with my fiance'..I was recently diagnosed with cervical cancer. A fast growing cancer. anyway, I wish more people would talk about the MENTAL ANXIETY WLS causes Post Op..

7stents (2003)...Heart Attack(2004)...Open Heart (2004)....Wls (2007)...Heart attack 2012...1 stent (2012)...Heart Attack (2013)...Heart Attack (2013)...1 stent(2013)
~~~Best Vitamin For Making Friends  B1~~~

Ms. Cal Culator
on 11/8/11 2:56 am - Tuvalu
On November 8, 2011 at 10:13 AM Pacific Time, huskergalWsD wrote:
It's the anxiety that makes me regret this Wls.. ANXIETY!!! I refuse to be on any anti depressants for that. I hear this from many other P.O. people also.. It's the MENTAL ANXIETY sorry, I should have explained that the first time.... If I miss taking my vitamins for 1 day i have burning in my back. Had to give up playing volleyball because of Arthiritis in my right elbow.my knees are bad.I have central sleep apnea.I can't think fast, my movements and thinking are very slow and causes alot of arguments with my fiance'..I was recently diagnosed with cervical cancer. A fast growing cancer. anyway, I wish more people would talk about the MENTAL ANXIETY WLS causes Post Op..

There is so little here that makes much sense to me...and I may not be alone, so maybe you are not making sense or maybe you just aren't explaining it well?

I've never heard of someone having a "burning back" reaction to missing a day of vitamins.

Many of us have arthritis and it isn't easy...but unless it's rheumatoid arthritis, its something that we will ALL have to deal with..more and more as we live longer.  I've had surgery on a wrist, several rounds of injections of Synvisc into my knees (starting before any wls) and  and several injections into my sacroiliac joint for arthritis there...and yes...it IS depressing to be in pain (as I am right now), but my mother has more of it and no WLS in her history, so I don't see how the two are related.

If you have sleep apnea, are you using your machine and is it on the right setting?  Not getting good sleep is more likely to make you emotionally uncomfortable than wls is.

If you have cervical cancer, I don't know whaat they do nowadays, but I had a hysterectomy...a little more than a "complete" hysterectomy...almost 35 years ago.  You just go have it--the cancer and whatver it ha invaded--removed.  And then, of course, you get a little emotionally involved with it all, but it is a VERY survivable cancer.

YES, you had wls and YES you have anxiety...but you have a LOT of reasons a lot of people would have anxiety, whether they had wls or not.  I think you might want to check into the ways to treat ALL of the problems, independently...
MyLady Heidi
on 11/8/11 5:35 am
Oh my I am so sorry to hear about your recent diagnosis, you must be living on pins and needles no wonder you are filled with anxiety.  I get the anxiety thing, I developed a severe anxiety disorder in 1998 and have been living with it ever since.  Its scary bad, I take Xanax when I have too, without it I doubt I would still be here.  The anxiety is no worse or better since wls, when it comes its horrible, I tried the anti depressants they did nothing for me, but the Xanax does help during the attack.  I feel very bad that you are in so much pain and it is hurting you this much, I wish there was something I could say to let you know I care other then a bunch of typed up words.  Please be well!
indybuttercup
on 11/8/11 8:03 am - Indianapolis, IN
I will say my dr said she releases all patients on anti-anxiety meds.  Mandatory so I filled it and never touched them but tried to explain to her and the psych that I didn't over eat due to anxiety/unhappiness.  I was a pleasure eater.  She told me there are 4 common types. 

I have never had a day of anxiety over the WLS.  My good friend who also said the same thing went thru severd depression and has even been suicidle.  She has stated to me 3 years later she "learned" she ate to cover her anxiety/depression.  Therapy helps her along with low dose meds.

Missing a vitamin wont kill you (so don't be anxious over that!) and you have some major health issues not related to WLS that were even possibally caused by being over weight.  So ask yourself if you are having it due to your other  health issues or truely WLS issues.  If it is just the fact that you are like my friend and can't eat away your other life stress you should check out a therapist till you find one you like.  Maybe talking and not meds is the answer.

Best wishes for happiness and peace

Most Active