Need a Pot Luck Dish Idea for 80+ people for Christmas Eve Healthy Style

huskergalWsD
on 11/13/11 10:15 am
Please, all Ideas are welcome here, I am drawing a blank for Ideas...this is a family gathering on my fiance's side that live 400 miles away. I want to make a dish that can feed 80+ family members.

I am very low Income. fiance' is the breadwinner here But i want this to come from me. trying to get a head start on some ideas.. a healthy dish .. Something that everyone will ask for the recipe after eating it.,,lol....thanks for any help..   Wendy

7stents (2003)...Heart Attack(2004)...Open Heart (2004)....Wls (2007)...Heart attack 2012...1 stent (2012)...Heart Attack (2013)...Heart Attack (2013)...1 stent(2013)
~~~Best Vitamin For Making Friends  B1~~~

poet_kelly
on 11/13/11 12:18 pm - OH
Chili.  Easy to make in a big pot and you can add lots of beans to give it healthy protein, fiber and complex carbs, plus beans are cheap.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

huskergalWsD
on 11/13/11 3:29 pm
When I went to his family reunion there were 50 people and was 4 different style's of chili people brought, I had thought about chili but dont want that to happen at this X-mas gathering. thanks

7stents (2003)...Heart Attack(2004)...Open Heart (2004)....Wls (2007)...Heart attack 2012...1 stent (2012)...Heart Attack (2013)...Heart Attack (2013)...1 stent(2013)
~~~Best Vitamin For Making Friends  B1~~~

Pam M.
on 11/13/11 7:32 pm - Orland Hills, IL
 Go to aldi and get their frozen turkey meatballs. Mix with grape jelly and chili sauce for sweet and sour meatballs. EVERYONE loves them and it may cost you $10-15 dollars total! 

So often times it happens, that we live our lives in chains, and we never even know we have the key!!        
Gina 21 Years Out
on 11/13/11 7:53 pm - Burleson, TX

PAM-hijacking the OP's question here-can you tell me how many bags meatballs to how many jars chili sauce/grape jelly? Cook in crock pot/pots?  How long? We've had an Aldi in town for over a year and I have yet to go in there. This would give me an excuse to finally make a trip in there.

RNY 4-22-02...

LW: 6lb,10 oz SW:340lb GW:170lb CW:155

We Can Do Hard Things

butercup
on 11/14/11 1:01 am - Kennewick, WA
Make a large Greek salad. Don't put the dressing on it till you get there. There are lots of recipes for it and other salads at allrecipes.com

If you don't want Greek try another kind. People generally love a really good salad.
ready2Bhealthy2
on 11/14/11 8:08 am
I would have said Chili as it is one of my favorites to make for minimal money.  I do a turkey chili with chick peas.  Now if that's out I would go with home made chicken pot pie.  It takes a little bit of time in the kitchen, but a little bit goes a very long way.  Everyone loves my pot pie.  two boneless chicken breasts can make two full pies!!  Two pies will probably cost you about $15 max.  I would say make 4 to 6 pies and call it a day.  Let me know if you want the recipie.  Best of luck.
HW286/SW269/1mo-20lbs/2 mo-9lbs/3 mo-10lbs

1st Goal - Loss of 50lbs
ready2Bhealthy2
on 11/14/11 8:10 am
I just got another idea, since you did ask for healthy...you could make Eggface's cheesy backed cauliflower.  I made it for a small pot luck at work and 2 people tooke the recipie home.  Super healthy and delicious.  About $8 per pie dish.

1st Goal - Loss of 50lbs
ready2Bhealthy2
on 11/14/11 8:13 am, edited 11/14/11 8:13 am
Okay so I love to cook and often do for big crowds...hahaha.  You could also do turkey wings.  This might be a little more expensive, but I wouldn't do anymore than two pans full.  They are baked very slowly and cream of mushroom and chicken soup are poured over them the last hour they cook and served with rice.  EVERYONE loves these!  You could modify it to have a low fat creamed soup served over brown rice or with no rice at all.

Or you could do a desert.  I recently made this...bannana pudding with vanilla waffers.  Super cheap!!  Made it with low fat whip cream and sugar free vanilla pudding....HUGE hit and light on the pocket. 

1st Goal - Loss of 50lbs
Heather :o)
on 11/14/11 9:23 am
Do you have a trader joes near you? I have a fantastic recipe using products I get from there and there is always several people asking for the recipe when I bring it out with me. It is healthy and even Vegan but tastes fabulous.
Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. - Buddha
Most Active