water pill okay? 6months post op?

katielove
on 11/26/11 3:57 am - Lake Ronkonkoma, NY
Is it okay for us with the gastric bypass to take a water pill (like diurex ... OTC)? I'm bloated like no ones business and no matter how much I drink... I'm not expelling enough. I can barely bend my fingers I'm retaining so much water. Stupid pms :(
<3 Katie  facebook.com/katielynn8806   http://notjustaface.blogspot.com/  My blog!
~~ Life is too important to be taken seriously~~ Oscar Wilde

Includes the 50lb loss pre-op       

Emily F.
on 11/26/11 6:11 am
You have to be very very careful with your potassium. Its very easy to lose TOO much potassium which would cause serious problems like a heart attack. I would take to a doctor before doing that.
walterswife
on 11/26/11 6:49 am
I'm with Emily on this one.  Talk to or see your doctor.  You do not know the cause of the retention. I wouldn't take anything until after you get an opinion from the surgeon.

HW 240/ SW 229/ GW 146/CW 125; OH Support Group Leader   

Starting size:  18W-20;  Present size: 0 or 2; 5'5-1/2" tall. 
Current BMI 20.4 as of 2/13/2013 (normal for the first time in my life).
Goal weight reached on 8/12/2010; As of 1/13/2013, 21 pounds below goal

(deactivated member)
on 11/26/11 7:02 am
Many serious health issues could be the cause such as cardiomyopathy, CHF, etc.  Talk to your surgeon and your physician.
Kathleen W.
on 11/26/11 7:15 am - Lancaster, PA
I'm a water retention pill(Furosemide-generic for Lasix)  for 15 years because of a bout with congestive heart failure.  My heart is healthy now but the doctors keep my on it as a safety precaution.  Since I've had wls 26 months ago,  they've  cut back on the days from 7 days a week down to 3 X a week and the dosage from 40 mg down to 25 mg.  I'm also on Klor-Con which is a potassium pill because of the effects of the water pill.  What ever you do, consult your doctors to make sure you stay healthy.

SW 327
GW 150
CW 126

LindaScrip
on 11/26/11 7:26 am, edited 11/26/11 7:27 am
my doctor told me absolutely not.  she was serious. something is making you retain tha****er and you need to find out what it is.  thats your body's way of telling you there is a problem.  when was the last time you had bloodwork and urine tests and physical done? I'm with Chris 1000% he hit the nail right on the head. Yay! Chris.
Most Active