I'm over 2 years post op, and my hair is thinning out again....

Lisa_67
on 12/14/11 12:36 am - Ravenna, OH
I noticed the last couple of weeks that my hair seems thinner again and it's been breaking off...... I think I know what is causing this. COFFEE!!! I started back drinking coffee all day long for months and I heard that too much caffeine can actually dehydrate you and not allow vita mines, protein and other nutrients to absorb into our systems properly. I have switched back to decaf....Also, my protein levels have been lower than usual. Can drinking too much caffeine cause me to actually start losing my hair again????
      starting weight...307 Surgery weight..274 Onederland...198 (3/6/10)
 I lost 33 pounds before surgery. My new life has finally began

jade1145
on 12/14/11 1:05 am
Of course, it's a stimulant. Stimulants induce stress on the body. Stress causes hair loss. It also is a good way to dehydrate which causes lack of proper absorption.
Both praise and blame cause concern,
For they bring people hope and fear.
The object of hope and fear is the self
For, without self, to whom may fortune and disaster occur?
Therefore,
Who distinguishes himself from the world may be given the world,
But who regards himself as the world may accept the world.
-Verse 13, Self, Tao Te Ching

No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself. - Nietzsche

loverofcats
on 12/14/11 1:55 am
If your protein levels are low, this can result in thinning of one's hair, as well as low iron, thyroid, other medications, and all types of stress.

I drink coffee, but my hair is as thick as ever. I don't drink a gallon of coffee/day, but 1-2 cups/day haven't caused any problems.

I wouldn't be surprised, if your hair thinning is due to low protein levels. Are you getting at least 80 grams or more of protein/day? Switching to decaf was a good idea.
     "          
 LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

Jenni_9yrspostop
on 12/14/11 2:49 am
I've heard alot of post ops say the same thing as you. Many lose it at the two year mark, again at the 4 yr mark, etc. Many of us have it every couple years. Those that have it are coffee drinkers, non coffee drinkers, tea drinkers, soda drinkers and those  that do jus****er. It doesn't seem to be related to caffeine in my experience with my friends-large group of post op women who get together often and complain about the latest hair thinning, age spots, dry skin, etc. I've heard this often. More water seems to help, could be time of year, seasons change and our bodies lose moisture, could be that you're two years out. It doesn't last long, and most say it's a very temporary thing. My friend is 6 yrs out and still gets it once or twice a year. (non coffee drinker).
If drinking too much caffeine thins the hair then I should be bald. Sometimes caffeine or other stimulants can cause hair thinning or other physical ailments, but I've heard many go through this coffee or not. (whew!!! I'm not giving up my coffee!!)

Jen 10 yrs post op RNY 
(deactivated member)
on 12/14/11 2:57 am - Woodbridge, VA
For me, my hair is directly linked to my protein intake. Bump up the protein and see if that helps. I have never drank coffee (even pre-op...just never personally liked it at all).
(deactivated member)
on 12/14/11 3:40 am, edited 12/14/11 5:58 am
 extra iron  and zinc and protein supplementation via shakes  stopped hair shedding in its tracks  for me  and  started it  growing in thick and strong again ...  

the iron shouldn't be  elemental iron - we can barely absorb that 

just about any other form of iron WORKS though 

hugs 
(deactivated member)
on 12/14/11 4:36 am - Woodbridge, VA
There you go being positive, helpful, and supportive...and WRONG. Please educate yourself on the term "elemental iron."
(deactivated member)
on 12/14/11 6:03 am
 I don't know why U say this  Jilly  - but  I take Ferro Sequels .... I  was told to avoid  elemental iron  by a few vitamin gurus in here  as  it s very dificult for ( those with malabsorptive surgeries ) to absorb.

When  I started to take  iron and  ****asionally )  zinc... my hair loss STOPPED .   Thank GOD !!! 

Vitalady's  gentle Iron contains the same  iron  chemistry  i believe... 
(deactivated member)
on 12/14/11 7:25 am - Woodbridge, VA
Nope...try again. Elemental iron is the ACTUAL AMOUNT OF IRON IN ANY IRON SUPPLEMENT. It is NOT a "type" of iron. Ferro Sequels are the ferrous fumarate type of iron, which contains approximately 33% elemental iron. You WANT elemental iron - it's the only thing that is actually iron!
(deactivated member)
on 12/14/11 10:18 am
 Thanks for enlightening me Jilly . I'm always wiling to learn !   

Truly I appreciate  knowledge ....  I try to help  others as i've been helped myself .  
Most Active