Help, 3.5wk Post Op

CheriMay
on 12/17/11 11:27 am - Jackson, NJ
Hello. I am in my 4th wk post op. Surgery date 11/23. I am frustrated, bored, maybe a bit depressed and STILL hurting. Gastric bypass and extensive hiatial hernia repair. My weightloss is at a stand still. 10 days post op I had lost 22lbs and now at almost a month post op and I am still only down those same 22lbs... I absolutely do not know what to eat. Well, I know what we should be eating, they make sure we are well educated before surgery, its just that I can't seem to keep anything down other then a liquid or yogurt consistency. I will NEVER eat eggs again (tried twice) nor will I ever eat grits or oatmeal (once of each was enough for that lesson). I only eat two- three bites chewing very well... I've tried soft broiled fish, puree chicken, puree beef with no luck... I,ve kept mashed potatoes, mac and cheese, and sorbet down but with my carb and sweets addiction thats starting this journey off on the wrong foot all together! I'm constantly thirsty. I constantly sip yet feel my thirst is never quenched. Remember those days when its hot out and you were so thirsty that you'd guzzle an entire glass of water? Welcome to my daily feeling... And on top of all that, I can't pick up my 10 month old when he cries who just looks at me and it breaks my heart, its the holiday season, I can't shop because after 20 minutes of any type of exercise or exertion I am in pain and agony for hours following, my home looks like a bomb went off in it... The list goes on and on.... But again, the most frustrating thing is not being able to eat anything besides shakes, broths, yogurt and puddings. Any suggestions or tips? I'd so much appreciate it. I feel so lost and alone... yet, I know I'm not... You guys are out there too!. Thanks!
Linda_S
on 12/17/11 1:02 am, edited 12/17/11 1:03 am - Eugene, OR
 Hi CheriMay - I remember the phase you are in so well.  First, know that this is completely normal.  It happens to everyone.  You may be in it for a few weeks.  No weight loss.  You begin to wonder what the heck you did and why you went through all of this.  Trust me.  Your body is just resting , , , catching up.  Eventually the scale will move again.  You will lose at a rapid pace.  Then, seemingly for no reason, it will stop again.  The phases come and go like that.  Just don't panic.  

You're right about the potatoes and the mac and cheese.  Probably not the best choices.  Have you tried refried beans?  The ones with no fat are better, as there's no lard to upset your stomach.  Soup is really good.  I'm over four years out and I still find that if I want to eat meat, it's better if I make it in a crockpot or pressure cooker.  It needs to be moist.  I have a horrible time trying to eat chicken breast, but I can have a thigh just fine.  If I make scrambled eggs, I put a little milk in with them before cooking them.  Anything that is too dry will be hard for you to digest.  Just don't drink before or after eating for about half an hour to 45 minutes.  If you do, your food slides through too quickly.  It will all get better.  Some day you may even be regretting that you don't have the restriction you have now.  Hang in there.  Amazing things will begin to happen for you!

Success supposes endeavor. - Jane Austen

Elizabeth N.
on 12/17/11 1:34 am, edited 12/30/11 7:29 am - Burlington County, NJ

Most Active