post op incision question

Lila B.
on 12/26/11 11:48 am - ND
Hi,
I had lap. RNY on Dec 23, 2011 so I am 3 days post op.  I have 5 incisions and 4 of them look great. The fifth site located on the left lower side of abdomen, I have a question about.  There is no drainage, and the site is closed but there is an area around it that is swollen subcutaneously, bruised to a reddish color pretty good.  Its not significally firmer than the rest of my abdomen nor is it more painful.  Just curious if anyone else had this or is it something to be concerned about. 

Thanks!

Paula R.
on 12/26/11 12:12 pm - Portland, OR
With being so recently out of surgery and all, Im a huge fan of "when in doubt, give the doc a call."  Could be nothing, could be the start of an abcess...who knows totally for sure.  
My signature is in the witness protection program

MyLady Heidi
on 12/26/11 5:16 pm
 I did not have lap bypass surgery but I did have lap gallbladder surgery and the one hole that all the tools went through was more painful and more briused and alittle swollen, this might be the case for you also.
JJ_
on 12/26/11 6:06 pm
That is the incision that all the bigger tools go through.  You may have some fluids building underneath the skin.  Keep a log of your observations, including your body temperature.  You will need this if you decide to call the surgeon.

I have had some serous fluid leaking from this particular incision.  All perfectly normal as healing progresses. 

Good luck

Judy

Most Active