Is it normal?

Marissa A.
on 12/28/11 2:57 am - CA
 I had a gastric bypass on december 9th and I'll be starting solid food next week however when i eat yogurt or jello, mashed potato etc. I notice I eat less because I'm less hungry but i never get full and it makes me think my stomach is not small enough... has anybody felt the same way?? doest it change?? thanks!! 
(deactivated member)
on 12/28/11 3:21 am
Have you posted this on the RNY board?  If you did, maybe put something like "CROSS POST" in your subject.  That can help us know if you are where you will get the best answers.  As a VSG, sorry I wish I could comment otherwise.

GOOD LUCK!
samsander
on 12/28/11 3:40 am - CA
This is normal in the beginng... you are never "quite" hungry or full (except when you REALLY overdo it... then you feel like you will burst!!).

Try to focus on the "not hungry" part and use your time getting the required protein, vitamains and water in..... you will be fine.

Mary SW 273  CW 158  GW 160

Cindy T.
on 12/28/11 3:46 am - Newaygo, MI
Yogurt, jello and even mashed potatoes are really considered "slider" foods...they won't stay in your pouch for long...especially if you are drinking while you eat.  In case you haven't heard it before, you shouldn't drink at least 30 min before a meal and between 30 - 60 min after a meal. This will pose a challenge for you as a newbie, since you may still have quite a time getting all your liquid/water in for the day. It will get easier.

ONce you start solid foods, you will soon discover how small your pouch really is. Eventually, you will eat something too fast or too much of...or even just something that doesn't agree with your pouch.  Trust me...you'll know when this happens...it is not pleasant.  I'm almost 3 years out and occasionally have to be reminded to "Respect the pouch!"  

BTW, it's just my opinion, but why are you eating mashed potatoes? There is not much nutritional value in them, especially white potatoes! At 3 years out I still rarely eat white mashed potatoes, and when I do, it will only be a couple of bites. However, I do sometimes like a baked sweet potato. Yummy and much more nutritional value in it. 
Nothing tastes as good as healthy feels!  

Judi J.
on 12/28/11 3:51 am - MN
your body is still healing that is why when you are new you measure, you don't try to be full. Once the nerves are healed you will get the signal.

We can all eat different amounts as time goes on but for now, you need to measure and stop! ok? no full feeling yet

and it is normal. you aren't broken.
Jenni_9yrspostop
on 12/28/11 3:59 am
The nerves in your stomach were cut during surgery so you won't feel anything. You won't feel full, over full or hungry. That's why we have to measure our food so we don't put too much in our newly formed pouch and rupture suture lines. Measure out your food till you can eyeball it and make sure you're getting what your doctor says to eat at each meal. He/she will tell you how much and how often to eat and what foods at each stage. Use this time to get familiar with small portions and feeling full later on. It's good training for when we're farther out and we can eat more.
Jen 10 yrs post op RNY
Marissa A.
on 12/28/11 4:27 am - CA
 Thank you all for your kind reply, I was so confused and anxious!!
JJ_
on 12/28/11 11:48 am
When I was on full fluids and pureed foods, they all slide pretty well through into my intestines.  The only way I felt full was ensuring that there was protein mixed into the mashed potatoes or SF pudding.  The protein made me felt full, especially when I was drinking protein shakes.  It felt like I had a seven course meal!!  LOL

I was instructed to aim for a minimum of 60 gr of protein per day.

Good luck on your journey.

Judy
Most Active