Did You or Didn't You at your Family Christmas Dinner?

huskergalWsD
on 12/29/11 9:40 am
 I ate what everyone else ate the unhealthy way that night and for the next 2 nights, I have gained 3 lbs. I am mad at myself for letting myself go. I know its only 3 lbs but always been scared of regain . I have kept a routine for the last 4 1/2 years so as no regain.. for the last 4 years on christmas dinners i have stayed with my new healthy eating habits. I have a new extended family on fiance's side. I was trying to  be social, not too mention i was around 60 people that night..the pressure was on me that night..I did make the black bean brownies and not many were eaten..so I brought them home. I  ate what everyone else ate. They dont know i had wls..

Want to know how many P.O. Rny people ate unhealthy foods just to be social with family? Just wanted to know if i was the only one that went off track this year?! I'll do better and I will get back on track. thanks and Happy New Year...Peace, Wendy

7stents (2003)...Heart Attack(2004)...Open Heart (2004)....Wls (2007)...Heart attack 2012...1 stent (2012)...Heart Attack (2013)...Heart Attack (2013)...1 stent(2013)
~~~Best Vitamin For Making Friends  B1~~~

(deactivated member)
on 12/29/11 9:53 am
Hi Wendy,

Well...I ate what others ate, but in very small portions and I had 2 fig cookies for dessert.  I am only 2.5 years post-op and my stoma is still incredibly small.  So, I actually lost 2 pounds. 

Don't beat yourself up.  It's only three pounds.  You are back on track!  All is well!  :)

Best,

Chris
BWB
on 12/29/11 10:00 am
It probably isn't fat that you gained, it probably is fluid from salty food and other items. I tasted food as I cooked and couldn't eat much at the table. The scales did register 4 extra lbs but it is gone by now. Don't get depressed by it.

Mary Catherine
on 12/29/11 10:05 am
 I ate the same as everyone else, or course much smaller portions.  I also ate cookies and candy and had a few drinks during the last few days.  I  gained 3 pounds and am swollen up and it feels like 20.  I was four years out in October. I was three pounds over goal and now six pounds over.  It will be back to protein, low carb veggies and lots of water starting tomorrow.

I did not eat just to be social, but because I enjoyed it.  I am not beating myself up over it.  I will be back to my diet and exercise after the holidays.
poet_kelly
on 12/29/11 1:15 pm - OH
I ate a few cookies, which were not healthy.  I didn't eat them to be social, though, I ate them because they tasted good.  I don't consider that to be getting off track, though.  My track allows for an occasional indulgence.  I'm eating all healthy stuff today - had a big salad, a protein bar, some Greek yogurt and getting ready to eat some roasted chickpeas.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

MyLady Heidi
on 12/29/11 5:36 pm
 I don't eat to be social really just the opposite, I prefer not to eat in front of people.  That said I ate grilled asparagus, a tiny bit of roast beef, a little stuffing and some cranberry sauce, dessert I made with fresh fruit parfaits covered in shaved chocolate.  If I always ate around people I would probably be thin.
DebsGiz
on 12/29/11 7:42 pm - FL
Hi there,

I did eat some unhealthy choices over the holidays, but it was because I actually wanted what I ate, not because I felt the need to be social with my family.

This week, I am eating salads and cutting back on "treats" until I feel that my weight is back to where it was post-holiday.

Reading your post, I became a bit alarmed that you felt the need to go off program to, essentially please others...

For safety sake, you may want to sit with that for awhile and dissect the feelings you were experiencing at that particular moment.

It's one thing if you make the choice to eat to please yourself, but to eat for any other purpose is reason to step back and question what happened so that you will be better prepared to head it off in the future.

Wishing you a very Happy New Year!!!!
ncmdgirl
on 12/29/11 9:56 pm
I ate like a darn pig over the holidays and for some reason I don't feel bad. My mom came to MD for the holiday and made a ham (my favorite). I indulged in ham and cake for almost a solid week. I ate small portions but many times during the day.  I am around 6 lbs heavier today but I know some of it is water from the salty ham and other pork products consumed.

Nevertheless, I became sick yesterday nausea, vomiting and diarrhea!! It was directly related to all the foolishness I had been eating over the past couple of weeks.  I am back to normal today because my body told me to stop it !

You will be back down those 3 lbs in NO TIME FLAT - I am cheering for you my WLS sister!!
Just a few more steps to wonderland......and believe me I am taking baby steps (ugh).

Bettisima
on 12/29/11 10:41 pm
I agree with the poster who said it's water weight. I am only 7 months out, and I ate what everyone else did. Not because I needed ro feel social, or pressured not eating that way. I wanted the darn food! So I ate a spoonful of everything that I wanted to try. The day all my company left I was up 1.5 pounds, I started that day with a protein shake, tracking my food, and no less than 75 ounces of water. 2 days later I was down 2 pounds.

I don't have guilt over those choices, to me... That's what my life should be like in maintainance. I need to learn to enjoy those occasional treated and then walk away when it's time. I didn't get MO by having a couple of days at Christmas eating these foods. I got that way by eating like it was a holiday every freaking day!

Don't beat yourself up, just get back on your plan, and stay off the scale for 4 days or so. When you hit the scale again, I bet you are back to your pre holiday weight.
Aasect .org
on 12/30/11 1:25 am
I indulged, not so much to be social but just because it was there. I'm always tired and hungry due to anemia so I guess I just pigged out. I have so much trouble eating meat though. Why do the carbs go down easier? Sigh.
Most Active