Diabetics and healing ?

Tenacious88
on 12/30/11 5:44 am - Fort Lauderdale, FL
VSG on 02/05/14

Hi: Diabetics may have a problem with healing if they get cut, the wound may take longer to heal. My question is, when a diabetic has WLS is that person at risk of stomach leakage, do to fact that healing is an issue with them? Some surgeons not only staple the site of surgery, but use sutures to insure there are no leaks. I'm a diabetic and this concerns me about having WLS. If anyone has information on this subject, your input will be appreciated.

Tenacious 88

HunyBunny
on 12/30/11 6:00 am - GA
I qas diabetic and was on two types of insulin. I didn't have any trouble with leakage and healed just fine. I'm proud to say that I'm NO LONGER DIABETIC. My HbA1c is 5.7 (I also eat anything and everything.). Good luck and suggest you talk with your doctor about your concerns. You have lots of company with this issue.

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wrXdz6C/]
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wrXdz6C/weight.png[/img]
[/url]

God is always good!

HW-215, SW-201, CW-195, GW-125

Tenacious88
on 12/30/11 6:16 am - Fort Lauderdale, FL
VSG on 02/05/14
Hi: Thank you for your reply. This makes me feel better when I hear it from someone that's been through this experience. Some doctors will tell you anything to get you on the operating table. I have a good surgeon whom I trust, but it's also nice to hear it from a patients point of view. Congrats on your surgery and not having to use insulin any longer. Please be well.
Happy 2012
Tenacious 88
Libby0218
on 12/30/11 6:18 am - TX
I too am diabetic and I healed really well. No problems with the incision nor leakages.
Tenacious88
on 12/30/11 7:27 am - Fort Lauderdale, FL
VSG on 02/05/14
Hi:  That's wonderful to hear, no problems with surgery or healing. Now you are no longer diabetic, correct?
Happy 2012
MsBatt
on 12/30/11 7:11 am
One of the really wonderful things about WLS, especially the DS, is that such a high per centage of diabetics experience almost immediate resolution of symptoms. I don't think should be an issue to concern you.

Different surgeons do different things, but my surgeon did a double staple line, then over-sewed the suture line of my new stomach. He's retired now, but he had excellent stats re leaks.

Tenacious88
on 12/30/11 7:39 am - Fort Lauderdale, FL
VSG on 02/05/14
Hi: I am going to ask my surgeon if he double staples, I know he does an over-sew to prevent leaks. One question, was there any blood in your stool the first time you went to potty after surgery?  I ask this because of all the staples and sewing that was done during surgery.
Happy 2012
beth-28
on 12/30/11 7:49 am
I can't answer for anyone else, but there was no blood in my stool post-op.
When push comes to shove....shove hard!

Never regret anything, because at one time it was exactly what you wanted.

MsBatt
on 12/30/11 12:00 pm
No, no blood in my stool.

beth-28
on 12/30/11 7:47 am
I was a type 2 diabetic on 3 different oral medications. I had a laprascopic DS on 11/28 and my blood sugars normalized before I left the hospital (in for 5 days).  I just saw my surgeon for my 4 week follow up, and he was amazed at how fast I healed, and how energetic I am now.

You don't say what surgery you are thinking about, but if you are a type 2 diabetic, I invite you to research the DS. It has the highest rate of resolving type 2 diabetes. The DS is not for everyone (no surgery wars people, please), it takes a commitment to take vitamins every day among other things. If you are interested, go to DSFacts.com and read up on it.

If you have any questions I might could answer for you, PM me and I'll be glad to help you in any way I can. 
When push comes to shove....shove hard!

Never regret anything, because at one time it was exactly what you wanted.

Most Active