A Stapling question ?

Tenacious88
on 1/1/12 3:58 am - Fort Lauderdale, FL
VSG on 02/05/14

Happy New Year to all.

Just something I've been thinking about, what are the staples made of, metal, plastic or other materials? What happens to the staples after you recover, do they melt away like sutures or do they stay in place forever? If they melt away or fall off do they stay inside your body forever? I know sutures dissolve causing no harm to the patient, but what about the staples.

I was a professional automotive trouble shooter for 40 years, working for General Motors and Goodyear. I am now retired, but during my time in the automotive business I saw and used many different tools some preformed well others failed. This brings me back to the stapler surgeons are using during WLS, are they the best or are they the cheapest the hospitals can buy, think about it?

ruggie
on 1/1/12 4:03 am - Sacramento, CA
 They are titanium, and are nonreactive. Your body will simply heal over the staples and you'll have them embedded in your tissue the rest of your life. Titanium is non-paramagnetic so they won't be an issue either if you need an MRI scan. 

Given that surgeons are extremely finicky about the tools they use, I would imagine they are using the highest quality staplers ( and passing the ost along to us and our insurance). They want everything to be as optimal as possible. 

Heaviest weight:  310 pounds  (Male, 5'10")

Bette B.
on 1/1/12 4:36 am
 Aw, man. They don't use a Swingline?
Stapler

Banded 10 years & maintaining my weight loss!! Any questions, message me.

MutteringDuck
on 1/1/12 4:38 am - CT
eh, just for skin closure.  those are too bulky to fit in laparoscopic incisions!
Tenacious88
on 1/1/12 8:19 am - Fort Lauderdale, FL
VSG on 02/05/14
Hi: But we can try!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Happy 2012
Tenacious88
on 1/1/12 8:09 am - Fort Lauderdale, FL
VSG on 02/05/14
Hi: Good for paper, but not for WLS, ha, lol.
I don't use Swingline, I use Paper-Pro high power staplers, good stuff.
All in good fun. Happy 2012
Tenacious88
on 1/1/12 5:12 am - Fort Lauderdale, FL
VSG on 02/05/14

Hi: Ruggie  I'm a newbie to OH and have all these questions, just to make sure that I'm doing the right things before going into surgery. My mechanical brain thinks of all the things that could go wrong with defective tools and equipment. The way that I look at cars, planes, trains and surgical equipment, these are just nuts and bolts that do an amazing task, but still are made by human hands. Thank you for clearing up, as to what happens to the staples. I keep a journal on all the questions I will be asking my surgeon.

May this year be the Best for you and your family.

MacMadame
on 1/1/12 6:58 am - Northern, CA
Well staplers do misfire and/or break. If that happens during your surgery and it can't be fixed, they close you back up and try again another day.

But I only know of 2 people out of all of OH in the 3.5 years I've been here. It's not something that happens as often as cars breaking down!

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Tenacious88
on 1/1/12 8:17 am - Fort Lauderdale, FL
VSG on 02/05/14
Hi: Happy to hear that staplers doesn't fail often. Cars on the other hand fail, especially when the check engine light comes on, oh no!!!!!!!!!!!!!. call, AAA.
Have a great year, 2012
ruggie
on 1/1/12 10:30 am - Sacramento, CA
Oh no, you're right to question - I'm sad when people have major surgery, rearrange their guts, and just assume/hope everything will work without understanding potential pitfalls. 

Definitely ask your surgeon questions like these - also ask him/her hard questions like mortality rate, complication rate (especially leak percentages), etc.

Heaviest weight:  310 pounds  (Male, 5'10")

Most Active