Make your own jerky

GreenGardener
on 1/2/12 12:20 am, edited 1/2/12 1:00 am
VSG on 06/02/09 with
Beef or turkey jerky is a great high protein snack.

Making your own jerky is ridiculously easy. Get a cut of london broil, slice across the grain in skinny strips; marinate in the flavor of your choice (lots of recipes on the internet); line a cookie sheet with foil and put the strips in the oven at about 165-170 degrees. Let sit for about 3 or 4 hours; turn and let sit some more until they are the consistency that you like. I use a dehydrator, but I understand the oven works fine. I get organic grass-fed beef, and use homemade marinade so I can control the salt and other bad stuff. My recipe says to marinate for 8 hours before putting in the oven, but I don't like it really spicy so I only marinate for about 4 hours, then I pat it dry so only a little of the marinade taste comes through.

I have never made it with turkey, but you probably could.

Edit: My dehydrator uses a temp of 165 -- you might have to use higher in your oven - check various internet sites to confirm.
 SD:  6/09; HW:  263;  LW:  143; CW:  155; 5'5"; 62 yo
AnneGG
on 1/2/12 2:12 am
Wow, I might even like this! All I've ever had was store bought jerky, which I hated. But I imagine that it's like the difference between anything homemade vs. store bought.

So I will give this a try. Thanks!

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls the butterfly." Richard Bach

"Support fosters your growth. If you are getting enough of the right support, you will experience a major transformation in yourself. You will discover a sense of empowerment and peace you have never before experienced. You will come to believe you can overcome your challenges and find some joy in this world." Katie Jay

(deactivated member)
on 1/2/12 2:24 am, edited 1/2/12 2:29 am
 Its a great idea actually  . I bought some  satay  beef  jerky from  an Oriental store ...  whoo hoo that was great .  

Lots  of potential for different jerky's  out here other than the usual offerings ...  and organic grass fed  beef  would make all the difference.

I also love tofu  jerky ...  Primal Strips chili lime flavor is  GORGEOUS .. 
Primal Strips: Meatless Vegan Jerky
Flavor Details

Primal Strips®

» Click Here for Flavor Details

Voted Best New Vegetarian Snack by VegNews, our Primal Strips are also the favorite of protein hungry bikers, climbers, and outdoors people. Look beyond snacking and try cutting them up in salads, stir frys, and burritos, or even served hot on sandwiches. Kids love them in their lunch boxes and as mid-day snacks.

(deactivated member)
on 1/2/12 4:36 am - Front Royal, VA
RNY on 08/29/11 with

My husband is a hunter, and we have tons of deer jerky in the freezer. We make two kinds, the kind you described above (flank cut it strips,marinade and dried) and then we grind up the meat, add spices, use a jerky shooter (like a cooker shooter) and form it into strips that look like flat slim jims, then dry it in the dehydrator.

The thing with jerky is that you have to realize that it does NOT cook the meat, so you need to dry it for the appropriate amount of time at the right temperature or you are essentially going to be eating moist raw meat. If you use wild game, it is recommended to either freeze the meat for 2 months prior to using it, or 2 months after you make the jerky to kill anything that can survive heat.  We usually make our jerky with fresh deer meat, and then freeze it for a few months before eating it.

it's alot of fun and a great snack!

susanrdal
on 1/2/12 5:11 am - mayfield heights, OH
 That sounds great, I love jerky!!  do you have a recipe for the marinade?

GreenGardener
on 1/2/12 5:22 am
VSG on 06/02/09 with
 I use a little of this and a little of that:  worcestershire, bbq sauce, chili pepper, soy sauce, garlic -- whatever you like.  I don't like it sweet, but if you do, you might think about a little maple syrup or honey (very little!  watch the carbs!).   Look at the ingredients in what you put in the marinade.  My DH likes a bit of an asian flavor so sometimes I put some thai seasoning.  
 SD:  6/09; HW:  263;  LW:  143; CW:  155; 5'5"; 62 yo
(deactivated member)
on 1/2/12 6:03 am
I also make dried shrimp.  I just buy cooked shrimp add seasoning like chili and cumin, salt and pepper and into the dehydrator they go.  Makes a great snack.
Lifebeauty
on 1/2/12 7:07 am
Elina, how long do you leave the shrimp in the dehydrator.  I love shrimp and as a snack it would really work for me.  Thanks for posting, I never thought of dried shrimp,
Z

With  I will succeed.
HW: 280 - LW: 190 - GW - 180  
Unfilled 8/15/11 - WT:  209
1st Fill 11/29/11 - WT: 215.5 - 3cc
2/20/12 - New Goal - Get n Onederland
2nd Fill 4/26/12 - WT: 224.0 - 3cc
Z

(deactivated member)
on 1/2/12 8:02 am
My husband just puts them in before going to bed at night and takes them out in the morning.  I asked him for a time, he just scratched his head.  I guess that means six hours or so.
Lifebeauty
on 1/2/12 8:38 am
Thanks.  Sounds reasonable since they are already cooked.  I will give it a try. 

With  I will succeed.
HW: 280 - LW: 190 - GW - 180  
Unfilled 8/15/11 - WT:  209
1st Fill 11/29/11 - WT: 215.5 - 3cc
2/20/12 - New Goal - Get n Onederland
2nd Fill 4/26/12 - WT: 224.0 - 3cc
Z

Most Active