Articles - Pumonary Complications from Lap Band

So Blessed!
on 1/3/12 4:38 am

If you would like more information about the articles, please PM me and I will send it to you.

I was told we're not allowed to post links in the body of our threads.

Kate -True Brit
on 1/3/12 4:41 am - UK
 Is this from aspiration pneumonia?

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

So Blessed!
on 1/3/12 4:56 am

I sent PM.
Kate -True Brit
on 1/3/12 5:05 am, edited 1/3/12 8:51 am - UK

Thanks. Got it. Interesting article and worth noting, even if it is described as rare.

I think it is also associated with acid reflux, due to the inhalation of particles, epecially when sleeping. I see a clinical study is also starting to see how VSG may be linked to this. It is my understanding that sleevers may be prone to acid reflux.  Apologies to sleevers If I have that wrong!

For those who don't read the article, the key feature is that unexplained asthmatic symptoms, persistent cough, heavy phlegm may not be quite what they seem. The authors describe one (just one) atient who presented with these symptoms and in her case these were relieved by a unfill. When refilled, fhe symptoms did not reappear. 

So nothing to panic about, but to be aware of.

Thanks for posting this.  Kate.

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Phyllis C.
on 1/3/12 6:39 am
VSGers, or at least I have a different kind of acid with the VSG than the band.  I take protonix which totally controls the acid.  It is more of an acid stomach.  With the band the acid was in my throat and nothing made it go away until I had the band removed.

Phyllis
"Me agreeing with you doesn't preclude you from being a deviant."

Jackie
Multiplepetmom

on 1/3/12 6:23 am
On January 3, 2012 at 12:38 PM Pacific Time, So Blessed! wrote:

If you would like more information about the articles, please PM me and I will send it to you.

once upon a time I had a group to talk about Binge Eating Disorder, and later one about Clean Eating.

PM me if you are interested in either of these.

size 8, life is great

So Blessed!
on 1/3/12 9:29 pm
On January 3, 2012 at 2:23 PM Pacific Time, multiplepetmom wrote:

I'll PM you.
Jackie
Multiplepetmom

on 1/3/12 10:31 pm
On January 4, 2012 at 5:29 AM Pacific Time, So Blessed! wrote:
On January 3, 2012 at 2:23 PM Pacific Time, multiplepetmom wrote:

I'll PM you.
 thanks.

I was making some oatmeal but it burned because I didn't stir. it's all stuck to the side of the pot.  I am sad. 

once upon a time I had a group to talk about Binge Eating Disorder, and later one about Clean Eating.

PM me if you are interested in either of these.

size 8, life is great

Bette B.
on 1/3/12 6:52 am
  A study of ONE non-compliant patient keeping her band too tight, developing reflux and letting it worsen is not cause for an indictment of the band itself. There are all kinds of case studies of band-related problems, but sorry, but THIS ONE is all the patient's fault.

Banded 10 years & maintaining my weight loss!! Any questions, message me.

So Blessed!
on 1/3/12 9:24 pm

"Lap bands are associated with a high rate of late complications, the authors explain. Pouch expansion, band slippage, and erosion are most common, but in rare patients, aspiration pneumonia may develop "secondary to severe restriction and oesophageal dilatation or reflux." The symptoms may resemble asthma, and chest radiography or thoracic CT scan is recommended for patients with lap bands who present with respiratory symptoms. Emptying the band promptly relieves the obstruction."

Most Active