Food issues after revision??????

vwelsh
on 1/8/12 7:09 am - Hudson, KY

Ever since I had the VBG 17 years ago, I have not been able to reheat and eat leftover protein. I have to have freshly prepared meat, poultry, or fish. Was wondering if it will be the same with the RNY??? Will I actually be able to fix dinner then have some leftovers for lunch the next day? It would make meal planning SOOOO much easier if I could!!! Has anyone noticed changes in food intolerances from one type of surgery to another??? I've posted this on a couple other forums, but haven't gotten but 1 response.  Can anyone help me?

Emily F.
on 1/8/12 7:32 am
There's no crystal ball. Some have complications, some have food allergies. There's no way to know ahead of time.
For great WLS info join me here  www.dsfacts.com
MsBatt
on 1/8/12 7:47 am
You've been living with a weight-loss surgery that's made you unhappy for 17 years now. You still have the chance to have an effective WLS that won't make you miserable----it's called the duodenal switch/DS.

Think twice, cut once.

LaughingCow
on 1/8/12 8:35 am - VA
VSG on 02/01/12 with
When you say you can't have leftovers, what do you mean? Do they upset your stomach?
Amy
VSG on 2/1/12 with Dr. Halmi
vwelsh
on 1/9/12 12:30 am - Hudson, KY
Sometimes I get nauseous (SP?) and it usually begins to really hurt, like it gets stuck or something.  Anyway, it always has to come back up. 

I can occasionally eat something leftover that has ground meats in it, like meatloaf if it's not too dry or maybe spaghetti or lasagna. 
pjwilsen
on 1/8/12 12:11 pm
Hello, there: 

I had RNY in 2005 and still cannot tolerate reheated chicken or fish. I only eat poultry and fish so I cannot speak for beef or pork. 

I guess we find a way to cope wth the inconvenience. I have finally learned to make smaller portions My husband had the lap band a few months ago and seems to have difficulty with reheated meats too. 

Much luck to you...I wish I had a better answer for you.

Best wishes, 
Pam
Mary Catherine
on 1/8/12 1:31 pm
I can't tolerate meat microwaved, but can heat it slowly on the stove, especially with some type of sauce or gravy.  I had RNY.
KathyA999
on 1/8/12 1:48 pm
I've had a distaste for reheated meats all my life, unless they're in a sauce of some sort.  Can't explain it, but would rather throw out a reheated steak than eat it.  Now, pulled pork with some sauce, or beef stew, or meatballs in sauce, rotisserie chicken cut up and in a little gravy, I'm all good with.  Didn't change when I had my surgery.

Height 5' 7"   High Wt 268 / Consult Wt 246 / Surgery Wt 241 / Goal Wt 150 / Happy place 135-137 / Current Wt 143
Tracker starts at consult weight       

In maintenance since December 2011.

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 1/8/12 1:51 pm
Sometimes half of the meals I eat are actually leftovers. I love leftovers, because I'm too lazy to cook. 

I had the DS, so have a fully functioning stomach, using my pyloric valve. Having a surgery that preserves you pylorus might be something you want to look into.
vwelsh
on 1/9/12 12:31 am - Hudson, KY
Thank all of you for your feedback.  Oh well, it's not like it something I'm NOT used to! 

I meet with the surgeon tomorrow.  I'm excited.
Most Active