Stomach pain after hernia repair?

Alyson M.
on 1/9/12 6:15 am - Dennis Port, MA
Wow, it's been forever since I've posted on here. I had my RNY 7 years ago, lost a good amount of weight, gained a bit back after having my second child, had my gallbladder out. I've been doing fine till right before Thanksgiving.

I couldn't keep anything down, no liquids or solids, and I had persistent pain in my abdomen. I spent a week in the hospital getting tests done with no results, was out for 10 days, then went back in after my symptoms got worse. Finally after talking to various doctors who couldn't figure out what the heck was wrong, my gastro decided that an exploratory laparoscopic surgery was the best bet.

I'm glad he did! Turns out I had a hernia where my stomach & intestine were connected when he did my RNY 7 years ago, which wouldn't show up on a cat scan, and he did a bit of cleanup while he was in there as well. I recovered fine, was sent home, and just had a 2 week postop checkup last Thursday.

Anyway, that's the background info for my current problem. I'm on an acid reducer daily, stool softener as needed, and only taking my pain meds (oxycodone aka vicodin) twice a day (I developed a hematoma under one of my lap incisions, still hurts badly sometimes, they said it's normal)

When I eat, I don't eat much, and I don't drink till at least an hour after I eat (going back to basics mostly since I know I'm still healing and my pouch has shrunk back to the size it's supposed to be) but after I eat, regardless of WHAT I eat, I feel almost like a gas pain in my stomach. It hurts, not a dull sensation at all, and position definitely affects how I feel. If I am sitting up/bent over/lying down I feel fine, but getting up and walking or standing upright REALLY hurts. Only after I eat, not after I drink, and it lasts for an hour or so. Anyone else experience something like this? Obviously if it continues I know to call my surgeon, but I wanted to check in here with some of you who aren't recent post-ops of the original surgery.

310/229/132/160 (highest/current/lowest/goal)

Alyson M.
on 1/9/12 3:15 am - Dennis Port, MA
update: I had some soup for lunch, and now it hurts regardless of position. Sitting up hurts the least but still hurts to the point that I want to take a pain pill

310/229/132/160 (highest/current/lowest/goal)

Most Active