advice on protein drinks/brands please!

melissa_whitener
on 1/10/12 1:25 am - PA
RNY on 12/31/13
 I am reposting this from the RNY forum, want to open it up to all of you. 

The more responses I get the happier i'll be, so talk to me, people!!

hello all!  I am thinking that before surgery I can order samples of several different brands of protein, then after surgery I can try them out and then decide what i like best, or hate the least!  I am not very tolerant of artificial sweeteners, so I want to try flavors that tend to be tart or a little bitter, as opposed to sweet.

If you have any suggestions for which websites or companies might be willing to do a trial or individual size at a low price I would love to hear about it.

Also I have heard that a shaker cup with the little ball inside are really good, so any thoughts, opinions on those?

Lastly, I have heart that the protein drink i can stand before surgery may be totally unacceptable after, just wondering if this is the consensus, or just some people??  

Thanks for all your replies!!!

Suzne
on 1/10/12 1:39 am - Weaverville, NC
 Hi Melissa!

I am a HUGE fan of Unjury UNFLAVORED Protein Powder.  I like to flavor my drinks myself.  I do this in a number of ways - by adding extracts, yogurt, a tablespoon of instant nonfat, no sugar pudding mix, no sugar chocolate syrup, Crystal Light Drinks, etc.   Unjury is a PROTEIN POWDER and NOT a Meal Replacement.  If you use Protein Powders you really have to mix them with something else to add a bit of carbohydrate, such as Non-Fat Greek Yogurt (which will boost your protein and give you that tartness that you like).  You have to have some carbs to keep your brain functioning.  

Meal Replacement drinks are different than Protein Powders - they have vitamins and minerals that Protein Powders do not!  You need that if you are not up to eating food at this time. Personally, I cannot STAND the taste of Bariatric Advantage Drinks.  UGH!  (To each his/her own!).  I like Wonderslim (Chocolate Mint and Hazelnut Cream), but they are kind of expensive. That's why I choose to make my drinks with yogurt or cottage cheese to add vitamins, minerals and carbs. 

Unfortunately artificial sweetener is a fact of life after RNY surgery since we can't have sugars and most products with any sweetness contain them. 

I also use a product called Show Me The Whey Protein Powder.  It comes in Vanilla and Chocolate and is distributed by Earth Fare, my local health food store.  They are online, but I don't know if they ship.  This product contains Stevia, NOT artificial sweeteners, but a natural sweetener.  I happen to like the taste. If Earth Fare online does not ship, your local health food store might have a similar product. 

As for the shake with the metal ball - I LOVE THAT THING!  I use it several times a day.  It has freed me from that stupid blender!  It doesn't crush ice, but it blends the drinks just fine!  

I'm interested to see what other people have to recommend!

Good luck!

Suzanne

M M
on 1/10/12 2:02 am
 There are few protein supplements with no artificial sweeteners -- but this is a good one --

About Time 100% Whey Protein Isolate

About Time is a low calorie high protein ZERO carbohydrate protein supplement.  
"The time for compromising taste or nutrition has ended. One sip of About Time Whey Protein Isolate, and you’ll know this is something special. No chalky aftertaste. No artificial sweeteners. Just a clean, natural protein supplement with a taste you’ll appreciate and a superiority your body will feel. Delicious enough to mix with jus****er, great in skim milk, a smoothie or added to your favorite yogurt. Professional athletes, weekend jocks and active people of all ages have discovered About Time is great before or after a workout, and an ideal snack between meals. 

All protein supplements are not equal. Unlike most other products, About Time is cold-pressed micro-filtered whey isolate which means the protein is absorbed more efficiently into your system. Most other protein supplements offer misleading labels and health claims, but About Time keeps it simple and 100% natural. Just look at the label – only 4 ingredients! For those managing diabetes, be assured that About Time is sweetened with Stevia, a naturally occurring no-calorie sweetener that does not affect blood glucose levels. A 2-pound container of About Time 100% Whey Protein Isolate contains 32 servings. No artificial flavoring. No artificial sweeteners. Each serving contains 101 calories, 24 grams of protein and 0 fat."

loretta cowels
on 1/10/12 2:14 am - MI
RNY on 04/16/12
I to am going though this im trying diffrent kinds to see whats out there. I tried some from walmart and then i seen lot of people like the syntex i bought some fruit flavors from a warehouse online get it two days later and they give you free shaker cups. will have to look up the web sight if intrested. But i do use a small blender to mix every thing i find it better for me. and im going to have to buy some unflavored and some flavorings because i get sick of sweet stuff to and i like to make my own. I was on a smoothy diet for six weeks after nission fundmilacation surgery and i made all kind of fruit flavors but this time ill have to watch it closer. Loretta
hollykim
on 1/10/12 2:32 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
check out   WWW.drmercola.com   and WWW.teraswhey.com   both very good and more natural without artificial sweeteners. als check any sites like WWW.luckyvitamin.com for  Whey Factors  made by Natural Factors.

My  recent favorites are :
Syntrax Nectar lemon tea mixed in 8 ounces water. You can't use a shaker cup with any of the nectars cause they will foam too much. just mix with a fork in the measure  bottle. I then add this mix to a 32 ounce drink bottle Fill the bottle up with water and I add 14 drops of MIO peach tea or peach mango flavors to that. I can hardly taste he whey and I also am getting 32 oz fluid right there. I drink 3-4 of these a day,all day.

I also like Nectar grapefruit flavor with same amount of water and Mio berry pomegranite,i think.
GL it is definately trial and error for each one of us.

stlfocus
on 1/10/12 2:58 am - IA
I have tried them all, and the one I can tolerate and actually look forward to is EAS AdvantEDGE Carb Control premixed. Cheapest at Walmart - $4.74 per 4 pack and comes in choc fudge, dark choc, strawberry, and vanilla. I LOVE the two chocs, but the strawberry and vanilla are just OK. No protein smell or aftertaste.

With Walmart's return policy, I would think you could return if it turns out you did not like it. Don't know for sure, but you would be only out five bucks instead of $15 or $20 on some of the large containers of powder.

It has 120 calories, 0 g sugar, and 17 g protein.

All of the other ones I tried especially Unjury had that foamy nasty protein smell that just turned my stomach.
Teach66
on 1/10/12 3:33 am - IN
I LOVE Premier Protein the best.  It has 30 grams of protein instead of most of the others that usually have anywhere from 15-18 grams.  They literally taste like chocolate milk.  Before I had surgery I also drank EAS drinks but after surgery they have a weird taste to me.  A lot of things that I liked before surgery have a different taste to me now.  Carnation breakfast drinks are also good.  I like to cut up half a banana or 1/4 cup of strawberries and add them to these drinks and they are really good. 
MARIA F.
on 1/10/12 8:50 am - Athens, GA

The blender bottles are AWESOME. You should get one or two.........or 5 like I have! Lol.

As far as RTD's I usually do Premier, Oh Yeah! and Lean Body. If I'm mixing one I mostly do Lean Dessert.

FormerlyFluffy.com

Blondie76
on 1/10/12 9:55 am - AL
I like Jay Robb. I buy vanilla and add flavors to it. Sweetened with stevia, protein isolate, no growth hormones, and no soy!

Love my shaker bottle. Highly recommend at least one.
MichelleChoinski
on 1/10/12 11:38 pm - NY
Where is the best place to buy these.  I've heard WalMart so far.  Anywhere else?
Most Active