Iron issues-Nervous! 8 years Post Op (IV INFUSION?)

erikapoindexter
on 1/19/12 2:13 am - VA
Hi all,

If anyone has any advice, I could really use it!!  I have been struggling with not feeling well for several months, and have not been sleeping, feeling tired, irritable, achy.  Since WLS, I have been borderline anemic, but my most recent labs show that:

My Hemoglobin(HGB) is 7
My HCT is 35
My Ferritin is 2

My doctor said I will likely need IV Iron Infusion, despite taking my Iron Supplement.  I haven't absorbed my Iron well since surgery, but think a recent female related incident (in which I bled for 6 weeks) likely depleted my stored Iron.

My Doctor was most concerned about the Ferritin being so low and referred me to see an Hematologist.  I have called to schedule with them, but they said the doctor needs to review my record prior to making an appointment, but that they will contact me soon.

Bottom line, is I am anxious, and while I wait for a returned call, I am researching the Infusions online.  Can anyone provide any insight on how low those numbers are, if I need to be doing anything else, or calling the doctor more frequently, or what the infusions were like?

THANK YOU FOR READING! :)

Erika
Starting weight, 379lbs
Current weight, 175lbs, lowest weight 155lbs

Gastric Bypass: January 4, 2004
Lower body lift: January 2005
Arm and Breast Life: October 2005
cajungirl
on 1/19/12 3:14 am
Definitely get infusions, PUSH to have them done.

I had the Venefor IV push (5 total within 2 weeks) and felt extremely better after the second one.  I honestly didn't realize how tired I was.  My ferritin was at an 8, yours is really low I doubt you'll ever get yours up without infusions.

The Venefor are more expensive then some of the other options, yet less likely to have side effects from it and the push took about 10 minutes total and I was done.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

M M
on 1/19/12 3:16 am
 Infusions are nothing.  Piece of cake.

The worst case scenario is an allergy - you will be tested.

Otherwise - you may feel a little lethargic, flu-ish -- during the push or just after -- but nothing to worry about.
erikapoindexter
on 1/19/12 3:18 am - VA
Thank you both!  I'm going to give the doc til 3, and then I will call back.

Thanks again.
Erika
Starting weight, 379lbs

Emily F.
on 1/19/12 5:34 am
Sweetie, you need to stand up for yourself. A ferritin of 2 is critically low. You need to stay on them and get the infusions asap. Accept nothing less.
For great WLS info join me here  www.dsfacts.com
erikapoindexter
on 1/19/12 5:38 am - VA
I have called the doctors back but had to leave another message.  It is crazy that I  haven't heard anything all day...called at 8:30am!
Starting weight, 379lbs

Sharon W.
on 1/19/12 9:05 am - Raleigh, NC
I had an iron infusion in July and now I need another one. Got tested in September and everything was good. Last 2 months have felt tired and like I was going to pass out during "that time of the month" and I went to get tested again yesterday and am scheduled to have another one Jan. 31. I can't remember my numbers at the moment.

There is nothing to the infusion.. the only problem I had was the IV fell out and they had to put it back in.

If you hae any questions feel free to ask me :)

Hope everything works out for you.
 Sharon         
jerseyjuji
on 1/19/12 11:43 pm
 As everyone else has said, iron infusions will get your iron levels back up and they are easy-peasy. Over 2 months, I had 8-weekly infusions of Venofor and am feeling wonderful, once again!  My doctor acknowledges that some wls peeps do not absorb enough iron through oral supplements, so I will be blood tested every 6 months, before my levels have the chance to get as low as they did (ferritin was 3, so I know how you are feeling!).  Push ahead, find a different hematologist if  this one gives you a hard time...I think just about any doctor who knows anything about wls will suggest infusions, stat, with your levels.  
erikapoindexter
on 1/19/12 11:48 pm - VA
Thanks again,

I have moved a couple hours away since my WLS and haven't seen my surgeon in years, but called him about an hour ago and talked to his receptionist about what I should do (He is in DC, I'm in Richmond so we aren't that far away).  I was sort of reprimanded for not seeing him in so long (which I deserved)...but she is having him look at my labs for me and is going to call me back soon with what he recommends based on my levels. 

Hopefully, I will hear something soon...:)

Erika
Starting weight, 379lbs

erikapoindexter
on 1/24/12 1:38 am - VA
Hi everyone! I wanted to post a HUGE thank you to everyone for your advice and assistance during this process! I wanted to let you all know that I ended up walking in to the Emergency Room on Friday afternoon. This was after constant phone calls Friday with my primary doctor, hematologist and my Gastric Bypass Surgeon. In the end, they recommended that the ER would be the best route for immediate care. They checked my levels and admitted me. I was there from Friday afternoon until Sunday afternoon.

During my stay, I received an Iron infusion and two Blood Transfusions. My Hemoglobin rose from 6.8 (at its lowest) to 9.1 when I was discharged. It has since increased to 9.8. I followed up with the Hematologist yesterday. He took more blood and has ordered two additional Iron infusions. He has also changed my Vitamin D prescription, to something better, since my levels are so low.

I still feel really tired, but the dizzyness and lightheadedness is MUCH better. My headache is still quite a nuisance, and still bugs me, but I'm glad I'm heading in the right direction.

I was reminded Friday how important it is to be your own advocate, which you all reminded me of! Thank you so much, or I may have just waited longer!

Much appreciation!

Erika
Starting weight, 379lbs

Most Active