Doubling Multi-Vitamins?

jackietex
on 2/5/12 3:10 pm
My RNY is scheduled for February 15 and so I'm trying to get everything in order. I've seen others mentioning doubling their multi-vitamins and was wondering, do I need to do that with the Bariatric Advantage multi-vitamins? TIA.

Lap RNY February 15, 2012
Starting weight 195 (ht. 4'10)
Surgery weight 178.5
Current weight 113

MacMadame
on 2/5/12 3:29 pm - Northern, CA
No. It's already got more of the stuff we need than a regular adult multi-vitamin. It's the non-bariatric ones that have to be doubled.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

poet_kelly
on 2/5/12 5:57 pm - OH
Actually, the BA chewable multi has about the same stuff as Centrum or another decent adult multi.  The "daily dose" of the BA chewable is two tablets a day.  The ASMBS says RNY patients need 200% of the RDA of stuff daily and one BA chewable only has 100%.

RNY folks need as many multis as it takes to get to 200%.  That means 2 BA chewables, 2 Centrum, six BA capsules, eight Optisource, etc.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

MacMadame
on 2/6/12 3:15 am - Northern, CA
You are missing the point.

The bottle of Centrum says to take 1 a day. The bottle of BA says to take 2. Two is the dose for BA, you don't have to take 4 to get a double dose. You do have to take 2 of the Centrum to get a double dose.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

poet_kelly
on 2/5/12 5:55 pm - OH
Yes, you do.  RNY patients need 200% of the RDA of things and one BA multi (chewable) has 100%.

If you take the BA capsules, you need six a day.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

M M
on 2/5/12 8:47 pm
 Bariatric Advantage vitamins are more than adequate.  Which do you like?
rbb825
on 2/6/12 12:57 pm - Suffern, NY
there is an easy way to check that out - look at the label and check out the daily value percentages - you need 200% of daily values in almost all of the vitamins - so it says 2 tablets are only 100% then you need 4 and it says 2 tablets are 200% percent then you only need 2 but either way you need 200% whether bariatric or not.

I think they may be telling you to take 2 per dose because they know you need the 200%, so it is the same as the centrums - take 2 but check the label of any multi you take for the 200% value.

You also dont' need to waste you money on bariatric vitamins because the centrum silver chewables have everything you need taking 2 per day.

Most Active