Which surgery to have??

cheyrobin
on 2/7/12 8:17 am - Cheyenne, WY
I'm not sure which surgery to have - I went into this thinking the gastric band (lap-band) but I guess because I have to have a hiatal hernia fixed at the same time (which is the original reason for any surgery at all) my surgeon said I should have the gastric bypass. 

But after talking to some people who have had the sleeve resection, they said they haven't had any of the "dumping" that occurs with the bypass and that I should think about having the sleeve resection done instead.

So now I am thoroughly confused.  Although there may be some reason my doctor wants me to do the bypass instead of the sleeve, so I suppose it will come down to what he thinks.  But if he is okay with doing either one, what do you all think?? 

So confused!!!!
H.A.L.A B.
on 2/7/12 9:00 am

It may depend.
I had RNY - but if I could it again - I most likely would chose VSG (sleeve)  It may offer much more "normal life style post op. "

or Ds - if you like to eat a lot and have high BMI. 
Go to the specific forums and ask them....
RNY: dumping, reactive hypoglycemia, ulcers, and more other issues. And post op RNY we can't take NSAIDS - like Advil... that one bothers me when I know one or 2 of those little pills will help with my pain, while Tylenol does nothing. (injury, cramps, sinus, swelling...) 

Now - band - any band - never... it is mechanical device that mast likely will fail.. or erode into the stomach, or slip, or... gets damaged...

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Panda ..
on 2/7/12 10:07 am
rhidunn
on 2/7/12 11:50 am - Annapolis, MD
I agree with the other posters -- you should spend some time on each of the Boards -- RNY, VSG, DS and Band and see what people are dealing with on a daily basis and then decide how that translates to you life/style.  Also - look on the complications boards -- you need to be educated about all the options - the good, the bad and the ugly of each

Don't just do what the doctor suggests -- sadly too many are complacent and don't know or care about anything other that what they know.

I personally have had issuse with adhesions so the band did not make sense to me -- i too easily invisioned it adhering to my stomach and becoming a permanent problem.  I have the sleeve and I love it, for what that is worth. 

Best of luck to you!

cheyrobin
on 2/7/12 11:21 pm - Cheyenne, WY
Thank you all for your responses.  I'm 50 years old, 5'5" and presently weigh 235.  As it is, I'm kind of on the cusp of not being able to have the surgery since my BMI isn't 40 (it's close but not 40) and I don't have diabetes or anything like that.  I do have a lot of aches and pains and get headaches quite frequently so I can't imagine not being able to take an aspirin product like Exedrin or Motrin because I can't have any NSAIDS post-op.  Because of family history, I also believe that arthritis may be setting in so I may need some kind of meds like Celebrex which is currently being taken by others in my family.  So....it sounds like the sleeve may be the way to go for me. 

I will definitely be checking into it more and would love to check out the "complications" part of this site if someone can tell me how to find it! 

Thank you all for your help!!

Robin
H.A.L.A B.
on 2/8/12 5:58 am
Robin,you are so close to 40 BMI that you may qualify.

I was in the same shoes.  I was working so hard trying to lose, not to gain any, and at least maintain. Diet and exersies.  But there was a point when I knew that I could not live like that.  I stopped dieting like crazzy and in a short time my weight was going up and up and up.  I did not overeat, just stop dieting. 
But - at the same token I was a self pay person so did not needed to be aproved by insurace.  

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Most Active