2 1/2 years out and trying to keep it off....help

emily652
on 2/8/12 2:03 am - denham springs, LA
RNY on 06/22/18 with
I got on here today to look for some motivation, I NEED it.  I am kicking myself in the BUTT because I am almost 2 /12 years out and i am fighting a 10-15 lb regain.  May not sound like much but 10-15 can turn into 20-30!! I am having a hell of a time getting my head straight to get it off.  I am amazed at how overwhelmed I feel about those 10-15 lbs.  I lost well over 100 lbs, this should be easy to get off right??  Not in my mind for some reason.  I know I have to get away from the alocohol.  2 big glasses of wine a night is tooo many calories and it is like i passing the food addiction on to the alcohol.  (Boy that was hard to say out loud!!!)  I tend to graze during the day and know that has got to stop. I am typically a pretty upbeat person but this is dragging me down.  We all know the cycle....dont get depressed because the eating and drinking only get worse.  Any words of widom or advise would be appreciated.

Emily

HW 263 5' 7." age 45 08/09 VSG Revision to RNY 06/18

Jolly Rancher
on 2/8/12 2:10 am
I'm with you on getting my head back in the game. I really want to lose 20 more pounds, and I haven't even tried!

Here's what I'm doing. I cut the alcohol out to only 2 nights a week vs any time I was going out. I started back at gym over the weekend. So far so good. I'm feeling better, even if I'm a little sore.

Oh, I'm also tracking my food on sparkpeople, which I never really got away from. I'm just trying to be a little more mindful of empty carbs. I'm not always successful with that, but I don't beat myself up.

Get back in the game, you can do this!
Janice

320/170/150
SW/CW/GW
poet_kelly
on 2/8/12 2:13 am - OH
well, you know what you need to do.  Can you get the alcohol out of the house?  Just cutting that out should make a difference.  And can you get rid of whatever you tend to graze on?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

MyLady Heidi
on 2/8/12 2:44 am
No words of wisdom, but I get it, weight regain is like 1lb=10lb mentally.  I swear.  It sucks, I have gained and lost that 10lbs before, swore I would never gain any of it back and do, lose it back again and again, it sucks.  You have to motivate you, you have to want it off and remember how good it felt when it was gone, when you clothes slipped on and felt like butter on your skin, not like a vice grip.  Is there a reward you can give yourself that will help keep you focused?  Something that will help keep you motivated?  My saving grace is I love photography and when I am out taking pics I get lots of exercise, my treat is spending more time alone taking pics of wildlife.  I crawl around the marshes and through the woods and think who is this person, because let me tell you I never did any of this MO, but I love it and appreciate it.  I can feel if my jeans are tight when I am sitting on the ground, it ****** me off.  I am fasting this week, because I want to prove to myself I can get off carbs.  It sucks, I am not recommending it but its what I am doing this week because typically the week of my period I let myself eat whatever and I don't want to do that this time.
emily652
on 2/8/12 3:33 am - denham springs, LA
RNY on 06/22/18 with
I think you guys are right about setting a definite plan.  No alocohol except 1-2 Saturday night.  I think I can stop the grazing if I track everything I'm eating.  I had settled into the mentality of "i can't eat that much, so why write it down"  but a little here and a little there has added up.  I have started walking 1 mile 5 days a week and been at it about 2 weeks.  So I am optimistic that will help too.  Thanks for letting me vent!!

Emily

mollypitcher08
on 2/8/12 4:51 am

Hi Emily! No real words of advice or wisdom here just wanted to tell you that you are not alone!!!
So many of us (me included) deal with the same struggle as you are.  I am trying to get off 14# I gained. (I am 3-1/2 years post RNY).  I try and remember how I felt almost 200# heavier and all that I can do now that I couldn't before.  It helps me some but dang! Then I get those cravings or worse yet, I tend to eat/drink at the same time.  A very bad habit for RNY'ers to develop!! I am working on it like you!!
Hang in there! Cut back, drink more water and get a bit more active, too if you aren't already.  Good advice I guess I'll just have to follow it  too :)  Mary

Carol S.
on 2/8/12 5:06 am - Milwaukee, WI
 I started running.  I quit drinking over 5 years ago because I couldn't just drink on Saturdays.

I found a hobby (running) that I can't do if I drink or eat junk.  I kind of trapped myself into it.  LOL

I hope you find your "running."

Carol

SW/276 CW 150 GW 185

9 Years out.

H.A.L.A B.
on 2/8/12 5:48 am
Wanted to gain 10-15 lbs. Gained 25+ ouch..
It took "forever" to lose the extra... but it can be done.  Now I am back where I can stay, or lose another 5... but that would be it..

here are my rules:
no alcohol
6 meals a day, water, tea, vitamins
low net carbs (minus fiber)
snacking - OK - as long as it is planned - needed
treats once a day (high proteins, ie. protein bar - so I do not feel deprived)
moderate exercise- changing exercise routine, and more slimming than bulking
calorie cycling (low days with high days) to confuse the body into losing

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

emily652
on 2/8/12 11:24 pm - denham springs, LA
RNY on 06/22/18 with
thanks for the "reminder"...it's thing we know but just have to get back on track!!  I appreciate your insight!

Mary Catherine
on 2/8/12 12:01 pm
 I stock up on Questbars and eat in place of a meal.  I eat some fruit and vegetables.  No longer eat very much protein at all.  Most of the time just lowfat cheese sticks or a slice of American  Cheese on a high fiber piece of toast.  I eat a "meal" once of twice a week, usually from a restaurant and bring home the leftovers for a second or third meal.  I find that the less I eat, the less I want.  I have Lean Cuisine in the freezer.  I drink a lot of water from 64 to more than 130 ounces a day.  

I do a lot of exercise, sometimes two or three hours.

I live alone so don't have to worry about feeding others.  The less I eat, the less interest I have in food.  I weigh myself everyday and get upset over a one pound gain.  I have no crackers, chips, pretzels, etc in the house.  I very rarely eat any sweets.   I have broken off my relationship with Coke Zero and replaced with water.  I no longer look forward to meals or really enjoy food.  It is just something that I need to do in order to stay alive.  I no longer enjoy any food enough to overeat.

By avoiding sugar, carbs, and protein, I maintain my goal weight and feel great.  If I really want something I will endulge in a Lean Cuisine version.  Today I had a Lean Cuisine pizza.  It was not that great.  I could have gone back to eating like before surgery and I would have ended up regaining the weight.  

Most Active