been using ibrofen

msopen
on 3/1/12 11:20 am - KY
Omg i went to group on tuesday and it must have slipped my mind about taking ibrofen(spelled wrong) i believe.. but anyways how much damage have i done to my new stomach.. im so worried now.. plz help!

Jackie McGee
on 3/1/12 11:32 am - PA
I took Ibuprofen for 3 months and gave myself a nasty ulcer. I'm sure results vary from person to person, so just be careful and stop

Proud mama of Mischa and Gabriel, both born post-op.

Jack_Fabulous
on 3/1/12 11:42 am - VA
VSG on 02/16/12
My back is killing me so I talked to my doctor about Ibuprofen today.  He does not recommend it, but also said that if I only took it for a day or two that it would be ok. 

MsBatt
on 3/1/12 11:44 am
Relax---you have a VSG!

It's primarily RNYers who should avoid NSAIDs like ibuprofen, aspirin, etc., because of the remnant stomach. With a VSG, you don't have one of those---just a tiny little fully-functional stomach.

Of course, NSAIDs pose some risk for everyone, even non-ops. Some people are more sensitive to them than others, and if you've ever had ulcers before, you should avoid them as much as possible. But it's really up to you and your doctor to weigh the benefits against the risks.

I have a DS, so my stomach is pretty much the same as yours, just a little larger. I take Aleve twice a day, every day, and have since I was a month post-op, 8 years ago. (Actually, I've been taking it for about 20 years, but it's the post-op part you're interested in. *grin*)
USAF Wife
on 3/2/12 8:33 pm
On March 1, 2012 at 7:44 PM Pacific Time, MsBatt wrote:
Relax---you have a VSG!

It's primarily RNYers who should avoid NSAIDs like ibuprofen, aspirin, etc., because of the remnant stomach. With a VSG, you don't have one of those---just a tiny little fully-functional stomach.

Of course, NSAIDs pose some risk for everyone, even non-ops. Some people are more sensitive to them than others, and if you've ever had ulcers before, you should avoid them as much as possible. But it's really up to you and your doctor to weigh the benefits against the risks.

I have a DS, so my stomach is pretty much the same as yours, just a little larger. I take Aleve twice a day, every day, and have since I was a month post-op, 8 years ago. (Actually, I've been taking it for about 20 years, but it's the post-op part you're interested in. *grin*)
Yep, everything the fab Miss Batt stated! ! ! I've been taking every form of NSAID since being around 6 weeks out, and have zero issues. I do take a PPI daily, and take them with food. I don't use them regularly, just as needed. I was prescribed 800mg Ibuprofen after the pregnancy, and take a daily aspirin due to a clotting disorder and there is zero cure so I have to take aspirin help my platelet function.
Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

(deactivated member)
on 3/3/12 8:23 am
 My Band  will  more then likely be a Revision to a  sleeve, In due time.. The ability to use  NSAID's are a Plus!  Of all the things I miss Post op ... NSAIDS are at the top of the list!  I have Band repair issues ...  And have   seen the Revision Doc. 
Solstyce
on 3/1/12 12:33 pm - WA
VSG on 02/18/12 with
I was under the impression that taking NSAIDS (Ibuprofen) was OK with the sleeve, not RNY.
Is this not correct? Haven't taken any but want to know for the future!

HW: 286  Consult: 276  SW:265   Pre-op: -11   1Mo -27  2Mo -11  3Mo -15  4Mo -6 (stall
UGH!)  5Mo -12
rbb825
on 3/2/12 3:04 pm - Suffern, NY
anyone can get ulcers from long term use of ulcers.  when I was preop, I took 800mg of motrin which was prescription strength for 3 months and got a nastry ulcer.  Then  2years later, I took a prescription arthritis NSAID - indocin and got another ulcer - then took a different one 3 years later not as strong Soma Compound and got another ulcer - you dont have to have an RNY to get ulcers - anyone can get them.  NSAIDS make you more prone.

zabber
on 3/1/12 12:34 pm
RNY on 02/28/12
I just had my RNY done on Tuesday, my doc is ok with occasional use with a prilosec or prevasid..I am also on a liquid tum for a few months to coat the pouch and boy was that a great move, I feel after my liquid percocet that it helps with the "burny" feeling immediately...good luck and I would talk with your doctor if you feel any pain...
southernlady5464
on 3/1/12 8:50 pm
On March 1, 2012 at 8:34 PM Pacific Time, zabber wrote:
I just had my RNY done on Tuesday, my doc is ok with occasional use with a prilosec or prevasid..I am also on a liquid tum for a few months to coat the pouch and boy was that a great move, I feel after my liquid percocet that it helps with the "burny" feeling immediately...good luck and I would talk with your doctor if you feel any pain...
Even with a PPI, your remaining stomach can absorb the NSAID and develop ulcers...and because it can't be scoped, you can end up having surgery to correct the ulcer...just don't chance it...

And for the pre-ops reading this...this is a very good reason for NOT getting the RNY...if you are already on or ever may need an NSAID, run, do not walk, as far away from the RNY as possible...check out the DS OR the VSG!!!

Liz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

Most Active