Eating at the Dinner Table

huskergalWsD
on 3/14/12 12:52 am
I miss sitting at the dinner table everynight with family..  so many households have stopped eating at the dinner table,   gastric bypass people eat alot differently than others that don't have wls. making it even harder (or is it just a matter of choice?) to sit together at the dinner table together eating the same things that are prepared for the family.  How many here with Wls still sit at the dinner table and eat a meal together?  please share your story with me, maybe i can get some tips to  get me and my fiance back at the dinner table together.seems the television is more important to eat a meal with.for the most part we both eat pretty healthy choices but one wants one thing when the other wants another food... I know it's just a matter of JUST DO IT, Peace \/  ...Wendy

7stents (2003)...Heart Attack(2004)...Open Heart (2004)....Wls (2007)...Heart attack 2012...1 stent (2012)...Heart Attack (2013)...Heart Attack (2013)...1 stent(2013)
~~~Best Vitamin For Making Friends  B1~~~

GreenGardener
on 3/14/12 12:59 am
VSG on 06/02/09 with
 I eat pretty much the same thing my husband does, only less and with fewer carbs.  I have my little bowl and he has his big plate.  Not an issue really.  
 SD:  6/09; HW:  263;  LW:  143; CW:  155; 5'5"; 62 yo
(deactivated member)
on 3/14/12 1:21 am
My wife and I have three young children.  I still make it a point to be together around the table.  Immediately after surgery I would sit with them and drink my protein.  Later, I would prepare their dinner and my own meal (perhaps tuna on some mixed greens), and we'd all eat together.  And now, sometimes I can eat what I prepare for them. 

I am not jealous of their meal yet I have heard some people on here are jealous and they let that jealousy interfere with their relationship with others.Personally, I don't miss having a relationship with food.  I miss the company of others. 

You don't need to share the same meal to share a "meal,."  So proud of you for wanting to make this happen!  You will! 

Wishing you the best!!!

paranoidmother21
on 3/14/12 1:28 am - Lake Zurich, IL
DH and I have worked it out so that one of us cooks the entree which we both eat - he eats most of it, I eat only a little. Depending on what the entree is, there may be a starch. If there is, I'll have maybe a tablespoon (yes, I measure). He is responsible for his own veggies, as I eat mine raw, but he's welcome to have some of my stash.

No kids in the home at the moment, but when DD and SIL come over for dinner, it's the same way. I eat what I eat from the prepared meal, and join them at the table.

We eat together about 99 days out of 100, but I will admit that in the beginning, it took us a while to figure out how.
Rebecca
Circumferential LBL, anchor TT, BL/BR, brachioplasty 12-16-10 Drs. Howard and Gutowski

Thigh lift 3-24-11, Drs. Howard and Gutowski again!
Height 5' 5".  Start point 254.  DH's goal: 154.  My guess: 144.  Insurance goal: 134.  Currently bouncing around 130-135.

littleskie
on 3/14/12 3:17 am - freeport, TX
RNY on 08/19/09 with
I'd make a romantic meal, WLS friendly. Maybe add some starch that he liked. Then we'd eat the meal by candle light. Makes me wish I was in a relationship right now.....lol

Met my first goal, met my second goal, met my surgeons goal. Now I have a new goal!

newme2011-2012
on 3/14/12 3:21 am
We have family meals every night. I cook a reg. meal. Chicken, veggie, potato, pasta etc. And I eat the meat and veggie.
I use a small plate and bring my scale to the table to weigh my meat. They are all used to it now. If we have company I weigh my meat before so I don't look strange.
Julie
  Highest weight 330 - GW 150  

Paul C.
on 3/14/12 3:54 am - Cumming, GA
 We may not have dinner in the dinning room everynight but there is rarely a night that I do not eat the same meal as my family.  Like before surgery the center of most of our meals is a meat and then veggies and such as sides.  I always eat the meat and depending on the veggies I will eat a small serving of those as well.

Now the nights they have pasta  or pizza I find something else but we always have something that I will survive on in the house.

If anything the main thing that has changed is our meal choices.  We eat much healthier meals.  They may have a quick dinner once a week on a night we have some late activity but other than that the frozen dinners and chili dogs are pretty much gone.
Paul C.
First 5K 9/27/20 46:32 - 11 weeks post op  (PR 28:55 8/15/11)
First 10K 7/04/2011 1:03      
      First 15K 9/18/2011 1:37
First Half Marathon 10/02/2011 2:27:44 (
PR 2:24:35)   
First Half Ironman 9/30/12 7:32:04
MyLady Heidi
on 3/14/12 4:50 am
We typically eat at the dinner table, not always the same exact food but we get a lot of to-go food but it always comes from the same place.  My biggest weakness is snacking in bed at night, thats the thing I need to stop, I can be perfect all day and ruin it by eating too many Dorito's in bed.  Ugghh
nanadebbie57
on 3/14/12 8:52 am
VSG on 03/07/12
I am just 7 days out from having a sleeve done. At first, I thought I would be better staying away from the table, but I found I really missed the conversation and camaraderie, so I joined my family. One night they had pasta, so I added a little tomato sauce to my tomato soup and that way I felt like I was having the same sort of flavor that they were and I was satisfied (in fact, I could not even finish my bowl of soup!) I've tried to have something similar to what everyone else is having (such as having chlcken soup when they are having chicken) and then I don't feel so left out. Besides, it takes me much longer to eat my small portion than what they are eating, so I'm at the table as long as they are, if not longer! I plan to do as the other writer does and have some of the same food, but much less on a smaller plate, or leaving out the starches, when I am able to have "real food". I'm just happy I don't have little children to cook for -that would be really tough -I have to hand it to moms who have to do that! I am at a good place in my life where my kids are grown and can fend for themselves when they are here, and usually I only have to worry about me. I suppose, that's why I didn't do this until now....!

Valerie G.
on 3/15/12 3:12 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
 There's no reason they can't eat healthier with you.  I pretty much cut out pasta and rice after my DS, and enjoyed the meat and veggies with them.  I made an extra dish of veggies to fill up the other third of the plate for them.  

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active