Protein makes you feel Full??!!

huskergalWsD
on 3/19/12 12:23 am

not so true for me...can anyone else relate? I cannot see the connection about protein making me feel full. Unless there is protein in refried beans. The one & only thing that comes to mind when you say protein is Yogurt and thats it..Fiber and Bread make me feel full.I eat alot of refried & Black Beans and Tortillas....

7stents (2003)...Heart Attack(2004)...Open Heart (2004)....Wls (2007)...Heart attack 2012...1 stent (2012)...Heart Attack (2013)...Heart Attack (2013)...1 stent(2013)
~~~Best Vitamin For Making Friends  B1~~~

aaaaaaa
on 3/19/12 12:37 am
 Protein makes most people feel more full than other things, as it takes longer to digest, and it is more dense.  Certain types of protein fill me up more than others. Chicken, certain cuts of steak, and certain types of fish fill me up, while hamburger, shrimp,  beans, high protein cereal do not fill me up, so I need to keep track of how much I eat of those items, and how often. 

poet_kelly
on 3/19/12 1:58 am - OH
There IS protein, quite a bit in refried beans and black beans.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

blueblond1973
on 3/19/12 2:08 am - MI
im glad you asked this I havnt had my surgery but when i drink a protien shake i still am hungery an hour later. Any ideas on how to help ill be doing my two week diet soon. am i going to be starving. oh and a ??? about bm I know tmi but i thought protien was suppose to make you constipated not me it puts me in the bathroom, Loretta
loricrisp
on 3/19/12 2:44 am, edited 3/19/12 2:45 am - Salt Lake City, UT
VSG on 03/27/12
I am on my 3rd day of pre-op liquid diet.  I am drinking 4 protein shakes a day 4 hours apart.  Sugar free jello or chicken broth inbetween shakes has helped me feel more satisfied.
smalls76
on 3/19/12 2:47 am
Beans are very high in protein. Protein is supposed to sustain you for longer. I don't how much truth that holds for the shakes but food wise yes. Before surgery I used to eat one egg on a half English muffin which held me for quite a while. @ Blue Eyes... On one of my MANY adventures in dieting I did no carbs for quite a while. I had extremely loose stools from all the protein. (Oh and no such thing about BM's is TMI... I posted a topic about it!! Hehehehe

Valerie G.
on 3/19/12 3:20 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
 Dense proteins take longer to break down and move out of the stomach, but other than that, I can testify that a day rich in protein alleviates some of the carb cravings, but doesn't keep me from getting hungry.  That's crazy talk.  When your stomach's empty - it's empty.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

tabrielle10
on 3/19/12 3:23 am
I feel ya. I started a "semi-protein" diet 3 weeks ago, and what I did was 2 protein shakes a day, and a protein with veggies for dinner and yogurt  before I go bed snack.  Now I'm on my "real" 2 week strictly enforced protein diet.  I'm not going to lie to you...you must make this a "mind over matter" venture.  If you like smoothies, I would recommend the Lean smoothies from smoothie king with your choice of fruit.  It comes in vanilla, chocolate, strawberry and power packed with 24 grams of protein per medium shake.   I like the vanilla because I can add bananas with it and get a nice satisfactory breakfast. Same thing for lunch or if you don't want to do another smoothie, like the other person told you, eat the chicken broth and the sugar free jello in between your protein drinks.  For dinner, same thing.  Its solely depends on you.  Now you will defecate, so just be prepared to do so at any given time.  You are ridding your body of all of the toxins you had before you stopped what you used eat, so after you go potty, you will be hungry, without a doubt.  This is just like "detoxing" your body.  Just keep doing what you do, and stay busy.  The busier you are the less time you have to think about being hungry all day.  My motivation each day has been the 17 lb drop announced on 03/16/2012.  I was 310 and got down to 293 in 2 weeks.  This was accomplished BEFORE the actually protein diet started and the clothes I stopped wearing because I couldn't fit them actually come on with ease.  Just stay focused and think about the fruits of your labor.  Good luck to you.  sorry this is so wordy.....

MyLady Heidi
on 3/19/12 6:29 am
They are talking about eating dense proten like meat that will keep you statisfied longer then something that will run right through your pouch like yogurt.
Amy R.
on 3/20/12 1:26 am, edited 3/20/12 1:26 am
Heidi's got it.

I can go several hours between meals when my meal is "just" a protein shake or a small piece of beef, chicken or fi****'s the carbs that I seem to digest in a New York minute.

Having said that, you'd think I'd learn wouldn't you? But at 3 1/2 years out, it is still physically harder for me to eat dense protein than anything else. And I have the dreaded 20lb "bounceback" weight to show for it.

=)
Most Active