Carnie Wilson Has Band Surgery???

Batwingsman
on 3/21/12 11:16 am - Garland, TX

Frank talk about the DS / "All I ever wanted to be was thin, like that Rolling Stones dude ... "

HW/461 LW/251 GW/189 CW/274 (yep, a DS semi-failure - it happens :-( )

glzgowlass
on 3/21/12 12:35 pm - VA
RNY on 09/14/11 with
That's what I was thinking.  If I had her money, I'd get the DS.  Guess  after RNY  maybe she is scared of complications?  I don't think it is a decision I would make if I were her.

HW: 218, SW: 204, CW: 139 GW: 112-119

loverofcats
on 3/21/12 12:58 pm
Weird. Doesn't she still have her "tool?" Obesity is such an overwhelming issue. People will do just about anything to lose weight. I've been there, but not through two surgeries. I wish her the best of luck and success.
     "          
 LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

sandyfeets
on 3/21/12 2:37 pm - Jacksonville, FL
RNY on 12/20/05 with
If her stoma is stretched out, a band is sometimes recommended to "close" it up. 
Face it though, she lost, she had children, she regained.... all under the microscope of the public eye.   I still think she's done well considering all the garbage she carries around in her head.

goddessgrrl
on 3/21/12 3:03 pm - VA
My dear friend had open RNY in 2003 & the lapband in 2008. She went from about 360 to 270 in about a year after the RNY. Then she would be down 20, up 5, down 10, stall, etc. One thing I know is that she's NOT had any counseling & she has serious issues with food from her childhood that break my heart. She loves food, just like most of us do, & she pretty much defeated the RNY. She chose to have the lapband because it was a physical barrier that couldn't be overcome. When she got the band, she's been steadily losing weight, except for a setback she had where she wasn't drinking enough water or getting enough protein, & she ended up in the hospital with dehydration & anemia. In my mind, I always thought the lapband wasn't as effective as RNY. But my friend told me that the stoma can be stretched, but the lapband is filled so that one can't overeat to defeat it. Carnie Wilson also has had some mental issues (her father, Brian Wilson of the Beach Boys, is bipolar & has fought mental illness most of his life). I wish her only the best! She's beautiful & has a great bubbly personality.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

NanaB.
on 3/21/12 6:53 pm, edited 3/21/12 6:57 pm
I think Carnie made a great choice!

The lap band KEEPS ON WORKING FOREVER.....it's not a tool that works GREAT for about 2-3 years and stops, as long as the patient is responsible and don't abuse it and follow up with their surgeons, IT WORKS...for all others it can be a disaster.

Some people are not good candidates for the band and some people are, this is why pre screening is critical to make sure people are candidates.

My lap band STILL WORKS and it is keeping my weight down at 7 years and I can still get fills anytime I need some extra help in weight loss, you just have to be responsible in detecting when you are too tight and follow up with your surgeon if you experience any type of adverse symptoms, it's a really safe tool long term for many people,
I can eat whatever I
like just in small amounts, I've never ever been hospitalized with it going on 7 years, I am still happy with my band...there are thousands of us out there, remember the lap band is still the second perform weight loss surgery in the US second to the bypass. despite what you read on this board.

Are you overall Happy with your Band and want a postive environment to stay on track? Join us and become a member of our Happy Lap Band Group Keep it bookmarked! http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/Happy_Successful_Banders/ 

Gina 21 Years Out
on 3/21/12 8:12 pm - Burleson, TX

Anything Carnie Wilson-or ANYONE ELSE-wants/has to do to GET HEALTHY is absolutely fine with me..it also none of my business..but he/she will also have my full support nonetheless.

Unless you have personally experienced regain, after WLS, you cannot understand how it makes you feel..PAUL-I know you only posted this to get "hits" , but you should understand what CW must have been feeling. Who CARES if what she is doing is "backwards"???????? You didn't state YOUR opinion

I wish her, and EVERYONE, all the health and happiness in the world

Having had a 70 pound regain/relost made me a much humbler person. 10 years ago I was going to be "the perfect WLSer". Carnie was my hero. Turns out, neither of us was perfect..

And I'm okay with that!

RNY 4-22-02...

LW: 6lb,10 oz SW:340lb GW:170lb CW:155

We Can Do Hard Things

Amy R.
on 3/22/12 1:24 am
"LIKE", Gina.
Batwingsman
on 3/22/12 2:18 am, edited 3/22/12 2:20 am - Garland, TX
 You apparently read my post(s) but were not paying attention, GINA, or you would have seen in my signature line that I too have personally experienced the pain of regain (60 lbs. +) over the last year or two  .  (FYI, it has almost taken my life of late.   )    I do not want to and will NOT go back to where I was 5 years ago.      However, when I talked on the forums before about the possibility of having a band put on my sleeve as a revision, way back when, everyone seemed to think that was a crazy idea, esp. other DSers  .    I am curious to see what RNYers think of the idea of a band on their pouch. 

Frank talk about the DS / "All I ever wanted to be was thin, like that Rolling Stones dude ... "

HW/461 LW/251 GW/189 CW/274 (yep, a DS semi-failure - it happens :-( )

MsBatt
on 3/22/12 2:47 am
"Other DSers" thought it was a crazy idea FOR YOU, because you have steadfastly refused to follow the very few 'rules' of the DS. We're pretty sure that your 'tool' would work just fine if you'd actully pick it up and plug it in.
Most Active