This was one of my compulsive overeater moments

LaughingCow
on 3/22/12 4:02 am - VA
VSG on 02/01/12 with
I shared this with my OA group and thought I'd share it with you guys in case anybody can identify.

Last week, I finally started feeling okay eating.  One day, I bought a pre-packaged scoop of egg salad on a bed of lettuce from Whole Foods to eat for lunch. 

I had to eat it while watching a training seminar on my computer.  It turned out there was about 1/2 cup of egg salad in the package.  I had estimated that it was 1/4-1/3, but there was some hidden by the lettuce. 

I got distracted and ate a little too much and my sleeve and hiatal hernia repair started to hurt.  That part wasn't compulsive.  It was just a learning experience.  (Lesson: Pay more attention.  Do a better job of estimating portions.  Don't eat while distracted.)

So I moved the egg salad away from me so I could concentrate on my training.  Well, sure enough AS SOON as the pain subsided, I found myself reaching for that egg salad again.  I took another bite KNOWING that it would probably put me over capacity and it would likely make my stomach start hurting again.  I think I took a total of 3 more bites before I threw it away.  But it's just nuts to take extra bites knowing that you're already full and you've just gotten past the point of being overly full. 

Stuff like this is how I KNOW I'm a compulsive overeater and that having the Sleeve surgery didn't cure me.  I may not be able to overeat, but I will be able to someday and I will have all kinds of problems if I don't figure this part of me out.
Amy
VSG on 2/1/12 with Dr. Halmi
mommy2jude
on 3/22/12 4:07 am - Jacksonville, FL
Revision on 12/08/15
Amy, thank you for sharing this story. I was banded, but I have had moments like this where something I ate took me over the "sweet spot," and it hurts me so bad I feel like I can't breathe. If I do end up throwing up I wait a few minutes and try to eat again, knowing full well it's not going to be better. I have actually considered going to the local OA meetings, I think this story may be the push I need to do so!

I can do this...I know I can. It's just going to take time & patience.

"Never give up on a dream just because of the length of time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway."

H.A.L.A B.
on 3/22/12 6:00 am

Unfortunately I can relate. Most days I do know when to stop and I do stop.
But there are still days that I may have the extra bite knowing that it may hurt me.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

AnneGG
on 3/22/12 6:09 am
Yup, no cure for compulsive overeating. All we can do is manage one day at a time, sometimes one minute at a time. Some days are better than others, and some days we are only human.

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls the butterfly." Richard Bach

"Support fosters your growth. If you are getting enough of the right support, you will experience a major transformation in yourself. You will discover a sense of empowerment and peace you have never before experienced. You will come to believe you can overcome your challenges and find some joy in this world." Katie Jay

stlfocus
on 3/22/12 7:15 am - IA
I am right there with you.  I know now that when I am full, I get up and get rid of it  - whether wrapping it up for another meal, throwing it away, or feeding it to the dog.  If it is sitting there, I am going to eat it.  I waste a lot of food, but I figure it is better off in the trash can than on my butt and thighs. 

I have traded compulsive overeating for compulsive throwing food away. 

Most Active