thyroid?

REININGCHICK
on 3/29/12 6:53 am - AZ
its been 3.5 yaers since surgery i cant seem to shake the last 50lbs. ive not gained anythign but not losing either.
do you think my thyroid might be screwed up?
im getting labs done tuesday

Emily F.
on 3/29/12 7:14 am
Have you had complete labs done recently? You need them regularly even if you are not losing.
rbb825
on 3/29/12 11:38 pm - Suffern, NY
You say you are getting your labs done Tuesday - how often do you get your labs done?  I am 3 1/2 years out also but still get them done every 3 months.  I know that is more than most but I also know many only get then yearly and I think that is crazy - so much can happen in a year plus if you make a change in a medication, how will you know if the change worked or if it worked too much if you wait a year to recheck?

Have you had thyroid trouble before?  If you never had thyroid problems before, it very common for all females to develop hypothyroid anytime between 30 and 50 - so it definitely a possibility plus after this surgery, all our hormones get screwed up anyway.

If you did have thyroid problems before - you need to get your thyroid levels checked atleast every 3months if not more often.  During the first year, our levels can go crazy then they tend to calm down but they can still change and all people with thryoid disease need TSH, T3 and T4 levels done every 3 months, that is just standard medical practice.

You can definitely ask to have your thyroid level checked - if you are staying at the same weight, not gaining but not losing, it doesnt' sound like a thyroid problem - if you were suddenly hypothyroid, you would be gaining.  About 2 months ago, in 2 weeks, I suddenly gained 5 pounds which is strange for me because I am usually the opposite, I usually have to eat alot so I dont lose too much  - I have too  much malabsortion - so by gaining weight, I knew my thyroid was off and sure enough when I had my levels checked my TSH was too high and when my endo adjusted my synthroid, I lost it immediately.

I think you just need to go back to the basics - 6 small meals - high protein, low carb, low fat - every 2 to 3hours

REININGCHICK
on 3/30/12 8:38 am - AZ
IVE done the back to basic's and no results. i worked out for over 6 months, no weight loss. ive done everything to try and lose the last 50lbs w/ zero results.
im at a loss. my insurance doesnt cover my surgeon any more so i have to pay out of pocket.

Most Active