Hiatal Hernia Repair

dmmassengale09
on 4/1/12 10:54 am - Houston, TX
VSG on 06/21/12
 I'migoing to have a hiatal hernia repaired at the same time I'm going to be sleeved.  Has anyone had this done and if so, have you had any problems related to that part of the surgery?  I think I'm more concerned about having problems with the hernia then I am with the sleeve.  As it stands now, I have a great deal of problems with the hernia and having to wait until the 19th is the worst part of it.  I'm so tired of having to sit up to sleep and wake myself up choking every night.  

Any imput on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Darlene
(deactivated member)
on 4/1/12 11:11 am - Mexico
On April 1, 2012 at 5:54 PM Pacific Time, dmmassengale09 wrote:
 I'migoing to have a hiatal hernia repaired at the same time I'm going to be sleeved.  Has anyone had this done and if so, have you had any problems related to that part of the surgery?  I think I'm more concerned about having problems with the hernia then I am with the sleeve.  As it stands now, I have a great deal of problems with the hernia and having to wait until the 19th is the worst part of it.  I'm so tired of having to sit up to sleep and wake myself up choking every night.  

Any imput on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Darlene

See my answer on the sleeve board.

Debbie R.
on 4/1/12 11:52 am - Cedar Hill, TX
VSG on 02/27/12

I had no idea I had one until after surgery when it was fixed. It didn't cause any problems with my sleeve surgery or my recovery. From what the PA read to me from the operative report mine was quite large.

Good luck with surgery!

Oh btw, I used to have horrible reflux, not now zero
problems!

kathkeb
on 4/1/12 1:47 pm
I had an undiagnosed Hiatal Hernia that was repaired when they placed my band.

It is very common for obese people to have hiatal hernias ---- you will probably get immediate relief of your reflux.

Best of luck with your sleeve/surgery!!!!!  

You have 2 weeks to prepare --- use the warmer weather to get out and walk and breathe and visualize yourself as a successful WLS patient!!!!!
Kath

Purplekat78
on 4/2/12 5:57 am - Winston-Salem, NC
I have a very large hiatal hernia that is pushing on my lungs and heart. I am haveing that repaired and the sleeve done at the same time. I have had sooo many surgeries that they don't bother me anymore. I had the henia repaired in 1991 and now it has come back. I was told with this procceder that it wont come back. I am excited and nervious about the surgery. I am waiting for all paper work to be sent to insurance to get a date. I'm hoping for end of April or first part of May. How long are you on liquid only after the surgery? Any helpful hints on any of it would be great.

Kat...
MsBatt
on 4/2/12 7:48 am
Hiatal hernias are very common---something like 30% of people are born with them. Repairing them during WLS seems to be pretty routine.
Most Active