HELP!!! I'm scared to death that this may happen to me!

newme_38
on 4/4/12 2:08 am - Randallstown, MD
VSG on 06/12/12
Lately I have been hearing about WLS Patients whose wounds from surgery aren't healing.  I've heard about  wounds leaking puss/fluid.  And that sounds disgusting and is scaring the crap out of me. Can someone tell me how this happends and if it can be avoided.  I am planning to have surgery in the next couple of months.  But this is enough to make me change my mind.   I'm getting horrified!!!!
bubbylucy
on 4/4/12 2:23 am - Raleigh, NC
Anytime you have any suregery there is a risk of infection. When you put artificial instruments into your body you have a risk of introducing bacteria where it does not belong. Hospitals try to be as sterile as possible but infections still happen.

Audra

abby04276
on 4/4/12 2:26 am
I'm not sure how to avoid that. I did have that happen to one of my insicions. It wasn't a big deal. The doctor gave me some stuff to pack it with everyday for about a week. Chances are good it's not going to happen to you but if it does...it's nothing
Calliou
on 4/4/12 2:40 am
RNY on 03/27/12
It did happen to one of my friends. But it idid not happen to me. You are a completely different person than  every one else. So do what's best for you, have your surgery, and if it does, it isn't the worst thing in the world. it isn't life threatening, and it will heal. 
You will do fine.

happiegirl
on 4/4/12 3:34 am, edited 4/4/12 3:34 am - Albuquerque, NM
VSG on 04/24/12
It happens from infection. I'd say to prevent this you might want to air out your incisions let them completely dry and keep them clean.  Let them see the sun.  Also if you think your prone to this type of infection your doctor can be proactive and give you an antibiotic.  Take care of yourself after surgery keep you wound clean and dry.  It can still happen, however.  I had an infection in my C-section incision...it's not painful and I had to let it heal from the inside out.  I was in the hospital for a week on IV antibiotics.  It happens.  I think losing a limb to diabetes is way scarier though.  I'm not willing to face being a type II diabetic so I'll have the surgery. 

I had a incision infection with my first c-section and not my second.  You have to keep it clean and take care of yourself.  That's the only difference between my first and second c-section.

HW: 351 Pre-op: 272  Current: 140.7 Goal:160      M1:14 M2:14  M3:11  M4:10 M5:10  M6:12  M7:8  M8:6 M9: 6 M10:7 M11: 6 M12: 4 M13: 5 M14:7 M15: 4 M16: 3 M17: 1   M18: 4

"Glory lies in the attempt to reach one's goal and not in reaching it." - Gandhi

Michelle V.
on 4/4/12 4:11 am - Livonia, MI
My doctor had me use hibiclens the night before surgery and the morning of surgery. it's an antibacterial antimicrobial wash you can pick up from walgreens, cvs, etc.

I also took antibiotics the day before surgery (4 pills).

I would definitely suggest using the hibiclens the night before surgery and the morning of surgery.

Ladytazz
on 4/4/12 6:02 am
I would start loading up on protein before surgery.  I had an open incision and developed an incisional hernia.  I had my first surgery to repair it in April of last year and I was taking in at least 100 grams of protein a day.  The incision was practically healing by the time I got to the recovery room.  It was closed and starting a scab.  I had to have the same hernia repaired last February.  This surgery was much more intense because they used mesh to repair it.  The incision was completely healed in about 3 weeks.  I just saw a doctor recently and he couldn't believe that my incision is totally healed now, about 6 weeks after surgery.  To tell you the truth I have forgotten I had surgery for the last month.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

(deactivated member)
on 4/4/12 8:34 am
 I'm so happy for U Lady Tazz !!!    
(deactivated member)
on 4/4/12 8:33 am
 The simple way to avoid most complications is to  walk walk walk  regularly BEFORE your surgery ... and after wards too .  Take  vitamins NOW  and extra C now so U have a build up of great health and the necessary vitamins to heal right  to rely on post op .

The people in real trouble are those  who cant walk for whatever reason and those who are bedbound.  Other wise , Ure in the drivers seat - n TAKE CARE OF YOUR HEALTH  !!! 

Hugs and congrats on getting Ur date ! 
Jenni_9yrspostop
on 4/5/12 10:22 am
I had open RNY 10 years ago and no stitches or staples - my surgeon uses steri strips. I took them off after 6 or 7 days. They all healed up fine - my scar was about 4 1/2 inches and I had no infection. They're much more careful now than they were when I had mine, but most wounds heal up well for post ops who are healthy going into surgery.
Jen 10 yrs post op rny
Most Active