Question on Protein

Pitoune
on 4/12/12 3:25 pm - Montréal, Canada
I need a refresher... I understand the importance for protein early post-op but does it still apply years later?

I was very dedicated and followed all the rules, counted absolutely everything that went into my mouth the 1st year. But then I got pregnant 1 year post-op and was more worried for the baby so I drank with meals, ate a little more and more often to compensate on not absorbing everything. Now 5-6 years later the bad habits have stuck and are hard to break...

So I need to know if I still need the 100gr of protein per day?

*~*Pitoune*~*
preview image

Ashley O.
on 4/12/12 6:00 pm

I don't know about with the bypass, I had the VSG. But I never had to get 100gr of protein. the goal was always 60-80. i'm about 8 months out now. I'm sure a few years out you can ease up on it a little bit.. obviously not a lot, don't want to get on the wrong track.. but i don't think the 100gr of protein is necessary.... You could always call the surgeons office where you had it done, and ask.

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone is fighting some kind of battle."
~

Check out my blog? (: www.ourfightnow.net
~

Pitoune
on 4/12/12 9:32 pm - Montréal, Canada
Thank you Ashley,

the reason I was getting in 100gr was I was training really hard 1:30 to 2:00 hours a day 4-5 days a week before pregnancy.

Good luck on your weight loss journey! :)
*~*Pitoune*~*
preview image

Gina 21 Years Out
on 4/12/12 7:47 pm - Burleson, TX

PITOUNE-opinions vary, as time goes on, but the "old ways" are still the best ways for me..

I shoot for 100 gm a day, so that I will GET 80 gm..cuz I know I'll always fall short..lol..

As you know, of course, protein is essential for building/maintaining muscle, and our most important MUSCLE is our HEART..and that's enough to get me drinking/eating protein!

It's never, never, never too late to do "the next right thing". Yes, ugly habits ARE hard to break-but good habits aren't really all that hard to MAKE-just gotta keep doing over and over-till it becomes "second nature" again..

Obviously you are "ready"-or you wouldn't have posted this. We are with you every step/ounce of the way !!!!!

RNY 4-22-02...

LW: 6lb,10 oz SW:340lb GW:170lb CW:155

We Can Do Hard Things

Pitoune
on 4/12/12 9:41 pm - Montréal, Canada
Thanks Gina for the encouragement,

and yes the old habits are VERY hard to break!!!! But i'm motivated and have promised myself to visit OH more often to keep myself accountable... Haven't really visited OH in a few years but it seems less "BUSY".  I used to live off of this site before.

My question is when we are in our weight loss mode then we don't want to lose muscle instead of fat... But when we you are in maintenance then would this still apply... the 100gr of protein ?

*~*Pitoune*~*
preview image

Gina 21 Years Out
on 4/12/12 11:07 pm, edited 4/12/12 11:08 pm - Burleson, TX

MY "vote" is still YES-and my trainer agrees, on the proteins to MAINTAIN muscle function.  Now-my trainer is a champion body builer, and HE consumes HUNDREDS, upon HUNDREDS of grams of protein, when in HIS training--obviously that is not for "us other people".Our bodies need ALL nutrients though, of course-do not "skip" ANY of them. We need carbs-just not the "evil" ones-the overprocessed white ones--like Little Debbie snacks, etc, etc, I'm sure all know what overprocessed white carbs are..no need to go tempting us,a nd putting ideas in our heads.

I just called Taylor, my trainer (and incidentially, my nephew) and askeed him your specific question. He is working on his Master's in this very type field, and has done alot of independent study because of ME (his prize "Aunt guinea pig Gina"-he loves using me, cuz I'm old-he uses me to show what peeps CAN do, if they want to badly enough). His answer-YES-on the minimum 100gram protein-and he suggests 30gm GOOD carbs for every hr of intense physical exercise--but cautions to START SLOWLY, and build up. One injury or good dumping episode could sideline your wonderful efforts at getting back on track-both physically and mentally.

May I brag a moment? This is a pic of Taylor, from last year, when he won 1st place, in the Tx"'something or other-something something something"..he doesn't usually have bleached hair, an oiley body-or wear shiney panties (his dad kinda sat in the back of the auditorium, cringing), but his mama and I were right up front, cheering away!!!

RNY 4-22-02...

LW: 6lb,10 oz SW:340lb GW:170lb CW:155

We Can Do Hard Things

Pitoune
on 4/13/12 11:17 am - Montréal, Canada
I have to thank you for taking the time to answer my questions. And thank your nephew also for the info., so I will be taking the time to count out my protein throughout the day and aim for 100gr.
I am proud to say that I have had no bad carbs in 4 days, have upped my protein - veggie - and fruit, exercised at the gym like crazy since tuesday and am down 6 pounds in 4 days... I'm verry happy and it's a good start in the right direction.
Congrats to your nephew on winning 1st prize. It takes great dedication.

*~*Pitoune*~*
preview image

hollykim
on 4/13/12 1:33 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
yes you should eat 60-80 gms of protein a day for the rest of your life unless you want your body to start cannibalizing your muscles,and your heart,lungs,liver and well muscles are MUSCLES,as your body will start breaking down your muscles to get the protein it must have in order to kjeep you going.

In addition,if you are eating high protein,you have less room for the "other" things that got you back into bad habits and have kept you from reaching goal.

GL

Dave Chambers
on 4/13/12 12:06 am - Mira Loma, CA

70g or so should be ok for daily protein intake. Try to get most from foods vs protein shakes so your digestive tract works ok.  I had RNY in 2006, and I still use an unflavored whey isolate protein in SF pudding, oatmeal, etc. several times a week--I normally don't log my food intake, so it's a precautionary move to keep my protein up.  I even dilute some of the protein with water and add it to coffee, like a creamer, at times.  Get "back to the basics" you used as a new post to help get rid of your new bad habits.

The only reason I know for 100g of protein or more daily is if you plan on plastic surgeon. A prominent plastic surgeon who speaks at my support groups has a rule:  every patient needs 90g of protein shakes daily for 30 days prior to plastic surgery. Healing is much quicker, and the recovery from surgery is far easier with this higher protein intake. The surgeon has stated he can tell which patient haven't done this protein protocol--those who don't do the protein heal slower, have more pain, and constantly call his office. DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

Pitoune
on 4/13/12 11:30 am - Montréal, Canada
Thanks Dave

Working on getting back to the basics!
*~*Pitoune*~*
preview image

Most Active