doing my research

ajporter14
on 4/13/12 1:05 pm - gainesville , FL
 I have just deiced to get the sleeve. My insurance does not cover it so I will be taking out a loan in order to pay for it!  I really am just looking for some advice on how to choose a dr, how much I can expect to pay, whats the pre-op diet like, how long does it take to get your surgery date, whats life like after surgery? 
Really any info you can give based on your experience would be very helpful! 
Thanks! Anna 
MARIA F.
on 4/13/12 3:23 pm - Athens, GA

I have a failed band and need a revision. I would like to revise to VSG. I have no insurance so I have been researching WLS in Mexico. You can get it done there at a good price, however do NOT go with the lowest price! There are some that advertise as a hospital, but actually just a clinic in a strip mall.

Good luck!

FormerlyFluffy.com

karianne
on 4/14/12 4:35 am - Marlborough, MA
Revision on 04/05/12
Congrats on making a decision I know how much work goes into the research!  I can't answer your questions but perhaps someone on the sleeve board would have more details? 

I thank god for having the insurance because you just can't anticipate complications.  I had the lap-band and that required several additional surgeries.  When it malfunctioned I revised last week to an RNY.  I would have liked to get the sleeve but my insurance didn't pay for that so the RNY it was.  I'm so happy to be back on the losing bench and God forbid if I have any issues insurance will take care of it.

My thought is will your insurance pay for any issues/surgeries related to the WLS if you are a self-pay?  Good luck I wish you so much luck!!  Karianne

HW-244, SW-234, CW-207
4/8/04 Lap-band-Goal weight for 5 yrs, Tummy Tuck 6/23/08
Lap-band Leak 4/2011, Revision to Gastric Bypass 4/5/12

MsBatt
on 4/14/12 12:27 pm
Given your BMI of 58.3, I strongly urge you to research the DS as well as the Sleeve. The DS has the same stomach as the Sleeve, plus an intestinal bypass that causes permanent, dramatic changes to the metabolism. The DS has the very BEST long-term, maintained weight-loss stats for patients of any size, but this is especially true for those of us with a BMI greater than 50.

Dr. Ungson in Mexico has an excellent reputation as a DS surgeon, and last I heard he's doing the DS for $16K, everything included---you can get more info on the South of the Border board, or on his website. And please check out www.dsfacts.com
MsBatt
on 4/14/12 12:29 pm
Oh---I'm 8 years post-DS. I had NO pre-op diet, other than the day before surgery. I got my surgery date the first time I saw my surgeon. Post-op life---incredibly NORMAL. More 'normal', really, that *my* life was pre-op.
ajporter14
on 4/14/12 2:47 pm - gainesville , FL
 Thanks guys! I have not consider the DS only because I thought it was very similar to the bypass. I am kind of afraid to go to Mexico to get the surgery. What do you do for follow up appt? fly to Mexico every time they want to see you? 
MsBatt
on 4/14/12 11:37 pm
There's a HUGE difference between the DS and the bypass. The RNY/bypass is primarily a restrictive surgery, with mild, temporary malabsorption of calories---but permanent malabsorption of certain vitamins and minerals. The malabsorption of vitamin and minerals is permanent in the DS as well, but so is malabsorption of CALORIES---which *I* consider a big plus. (*grin*)

Unfortunately, in the RNY, restriction frequently decreases about the same time as caloric malabsorption ceases---which can easily make maintaining your weight loss tough. The RNY relies on the pouch/stoma combination for restriction, but all too often the stoma loosens too much and restriction is lost.

I traveled about 3 hours from home for my DS, and my PCP has done pretty much all of my follow-up. Working from a list I got from my surgeon, my PCP orders my bloodwork, and she and I TOGETHER assess the results and make any necessary changes. (The DS does absolutely require that you take a continuing interest in keeping up with your own vitamin levels. Truthfully, most surgeons don't know much about vitamins, etc.---they're SURGEONS, and they're trained to cut and sew.)

Once you're fully healed from surgery, there's really no reason you should even need to see your WL surgeon again. ( Mine retired six months after doing my DS.)

Check out www.dsfacts.com I think you'll be pleasantly surprised when you learn more about the DS.
MARIA F.
on 4/14/12 4:29 pm - Athens, GA

With your BMI I have to concur with MsBatt about the DS.

As far as follow up care. Most arrainge for that with a local bariatric Dr. before they leave. If you go on your state forum, you can ask the others if they know of a Dr. that will do follow up care.

FormerlyFluffy.com

-VolsDiva-
on 4/14/12 10:19 pm - Orange County :), TN
Go to dsfacts.com and you will find a lot of information and a list of skilled surgeons.

06/07/12 - Dr. Sauceda LBL, BL/BA, Arm Lift, Fat Transfer and Neck Lift

Most Active