Approved by PCP but....

TravelingMomofTwo
on 4/16/12 11:17 am
I had my PCP referral appointment today. My Doc supported the surgery because hescseen it work but did say that 4 out of 5 of the patients he sees are regaining the weight back 2 or more years post surgery. While I know this is a tool, I thought my research was leaning more toward 30-50% regain rates, with approximately 20% of the 30% regaining it all back years later. Twenty-percent was acceptable but 8o%% he also said the satiety is not reduced a few years out, making his patients likely to eat larger meals with time, thus causing weight gain. I know he was doing a good thing and trying to make me be realistic and think long and hard about this permanent procedure-particularly given that malabsorption and complications are for life, and weight loss could be temporary-but he still burst my bubble...  

Now all I've researched for hours are predictors of weight gain research (if you are curious, non-Caucasian, male, binge eating, those who have a sexual abuse history, those who are married (really, ???), older adults, those who were obese as a child!!!)

Thanks for listening...

DS Surgery Date Scheduled for July!

HW: 277

songbird177
on 4/16/12 12:33 pm - Carmichael, CA
DS on 12/03/12
If we don't figure out why we became overweight in the first place, it becomes harder to keep off in the long term, no matter which procedure we choose. That's one of the reasons for the psych consult most of us, if not all, have to go through. It sounds like your doctor is concerned and wants you to be prepared and think on it.

Each procedure has different regain rates. I've read that with the bypass the malabsorption is not always permanent in all patients and that can cause regain. Also, the stomach, in any procedure, stretches out over time and you eat more than you did first as a pre-op.

If the surgery is what you really want, fight for it. It will be worth it. But make sure you pick the right one for you. Complications can happen to anyone. Good luck!
littleskie
on 4/16/12 8:51 pm - freeport, TX
RNY on 08/19/09 with
I have a lot of the same issues. I'm two and a half years out. I've lost 263 lbs. I gain or lose ten to twenty pounds a month. It's no big deal.

I watch what I eat. Every single bite. I eat low carb. Seems like it would be difficult, no cake, ice cream, candy bars, etc. They weren't my weakness tho. Popcorn, chips, fresh homemade bread were my weaknesses. So I have learned to make almost everything as low carb as possible. If I can't remake it low carb and i'm craving it i'll just go ahead and have some. Get it out of my system so to speak. That way I won't crave it. If it progressess into a true craving I will end up spoinling my diet and making myself miserable. So I do not starve myself. I eat what I want, when I want. Within reason.

I also try to make whatever it is I am craving into as low a carb treat as I can. lately my love is making low carb "cup" cakes in the microwave. I am considering making them in my donut pan and seeing how they turn out.

I don't follow a recipe so you may want to check out eggface and/or bariatric foodie. They both have lots of really great recipes. Love eggface's donuts and ice cream.

Met my first goal, met my second goal, met my surgeons goal. Now I have a new goal!

nieba
on 4/17/12 2:50 am - Rialto, CA
VSG on 09/04/12 with
When I first met with my Primary and told her I was thinking about WLS, I saw her eyes light up and she started planning everything. Every doctor is different. The best thing to do is do your own research and not base your decision on one doctor. I originally started thinking about WLS almost 10 years ago. Even went through all the necessary steps, but never had it submitted.

I have researched all the surgeries I considered the success rates, complications, possible weight loss, etc. One of the best tools is ObesityHelp. Here I found so many people that loved their surgeries, some that were looking to have Lap Bands removed, and some that had problems in some form.

Don't let him burst your bubble. If this is what you want, FIGHT FOR IT! You know what you can do and what your weaknesses are. You will always find support here.

GOOD LUCK!

Jennifer B.
(Can't wait to meet the new me!)

HW: 288  SW: 270.2   CW: 199.8  GW: 170-180   Hgt: 5'10" 

hollykim
on 4/17/12 7:18 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
your research is c0orrect. Your doctor may be seeing 4 out ot 5 of h9is patient doing that,but that is not reality. there are thousands of people who are NOT gaining  all their weight back in two years and I happen to be one of them.

I also continue to have saiety and restriction at two years out. I am seldom hungry,either.

I think this dr is doing his patients a disservice to compare   a very small portion of the population to the huge stats thatr can be seen right on this site,no less. That doesn't evn include poeple NOT on this site.

Just because 4 out of 5 of his patients fall into this category doesn't mean you have to or will be in the 4 % that fail. You CAN be the 1% that succeeds,if you want it badly enough.

GL and stay your course. Only you know what you need.

MsBatt
on 4/18/12 12:26 pm
I think that if 4 out of EVERY 5 patients who had WLS regained a significant portion of their weight back, insurance companies would stop covering it. Your 30-50% stats are more reasonable for the RNY.

You should also look at the DS---it has the very best long-term, maintained weight-loss stats of any currently performed WLS procedure. This is because the DS provides permanent malabsorption of CALORIES.
Most Active