So ou are a post op!

Patiurple
on 4/23/12 10:55 am - Wheatland, OK
here you sit a post from WLS and have lost almost all your weight. thinking awh being thin is so great. But I would love just to taste a ______(insert your favorite food prior to surgery). You keep  saying just a nibble wont hurt I can control it. Four months later your nibble has turned into eating all the foods you were before surgery you got comfortable and forgot just how intoxicating the food can be.
Then you try to get back on track but those evil foods keep haunting you
After several attempts you realize your surgery that you faught so hard for was in vain. the weight you lost has come back with a vengence.
peeps if you think this wont or cant happen to you. THINK again! Weight regain happens to much with WLS folks especially the ones who become over confident and who think they are in control.
We got obesed not because we had control but because we lacked control.

being healthy has its rewards....take the challenge and just do it
BigJohnny09
on 4/23/12 11:40 am
RNY on 04/10/12
Thanks for the post, this is one of my thoughts all the time. I mentally have tried to prepare myself for a new life. The good thing, I have always been strong willed. I have repeated to myself and placed different foods for my weight gain. I am trying to make me hate these foods, the same way I mentally hate healthy foods, and people offereing them to me.

But the food I am waiting to sample is going to be pizza, I know better than to eat a lot whenever i get the chance. But I hope to limit access to this food.  My problem will be when I am out and about in public for extended periods of time.

But I have too much weight loss to go before i get on the weight gain thoughts. Also, I am a frivlous shopper. And mentally I will kill myself before I buy bigger clothes ever again

Patiurple
on 4/25/12 12:56 am - Wheatland, OK
What i suggest is something I had pre ops do when I moderated a support group. Go out to eat with post ops and you will learn how to handle food.
Prior to my surgery I lived the post op life for about 4 months. It helped me when I had to live it.
My problem was after I lost my weight I thought it would be okay to  nibble on one cookie and my tolerance gradurally build up to I could eat more. MY MISTAKE I thought I had control. Been fighting this control for over a year and Have taken the control and laid it somewhere else cause I have none. I monitor my food like I did before. I refuse to allow carbs in the house and my new husband and son have adopted that rule.
But back to you. PIZZA PIE nothing like the sight of the melted cheese on top of all those other goodies. Mouth starts to droll and you are hooked like a crack head looking at a pipe. STOP u can have PIZZA..yep thats right! BUT in a different way. Heres my secret I ask for a crust less pizza...i limit the toppings in other words I know mozzeralla cheese is low fat but what about the meat well I pick italian sausage over pepperoni..why well the sausge has to be cooked prior to being put on the pizza where as the pep dont..u aint getting all that grease. I then pick canadan ham over bacon. And the pizza size is SMALL or personal pan. CICI pizza will do this and know what u r wanting its call the WW pizza.
The trick to having some of the foods you loved is knowing your ingredients. I love bread OMG there is nothing like fresh yeast bread coming out of the oven! BUT I grind my own wheat and I use real butter and limit the sugar by the time I make 8 loaves of bread I actually have less money in it then if you bought it 3 laoves at the store. its all about flavor and how the food looks. I know my biggest addiction is sweets. I got out of making my own ice cream and cookies cause well it took time and went back to using sugar and  buying real ice cream BUT we are back to making it our selves. I use cool whip, protein powder sugar free pudding and mix throw in the fridge and after an hour I have "ice Cream" cookies I use trivia and graham flour or almond flour...takes getting use to but its about being healthy not being fat. the consistancy of the cookie is different but the taste is there.
its rough the first 6 months to adjust but its worth it. Stay in support groups and listen to us older post ops. if you think that u r having a problem Im always around...good luck to u

being healthy has its rewards....take the challenge and just do it
MsBatt
on 4/25/12 1:37 am
This is not everyone's experience. Not everyone is haunted by 'forbidden' foods.

I'm 8+ years post-op from the DS, and there are NO foods that I can't eat in moderation. And the DS has given me the ability to eat IN MODERATION, something I really couldn't do as a pre-op.

Pre-ops, take this as a warning, and choose your WLS carefully. She's right about most of us lacking control as pre-ops.
Most Active