What can happen post surgery - positive things!!

germanswife
on 4/29/12 12:17 pm
 Hello,  

Long time no posting....but have been living LIFE!  Just wanted to pay it forward here....

Just over 3 years ago I had RNY.  Since then I have been finding that hiking and camping have been my thing.

I have twice climbed Telescope Peak in Death Valley (11,050 feet) 14 miles round trip.

Camped in old mining caves after walking through canyons.   

Walked out of the climbers camp of Mt Whitney to the town of Lone Pine.

This is just a small sample of all the backpacking and sleeping on the ground (tent and sleeping bag, ofcourse) I've done.

I find solace in the path.  Dirt/snow/mud....love it.  

Instead of buying loads of clothes, I have chosen instead to fund my hobby and buy gear.  

I do work full time as a medical professional...and loads of patients do supply us with sweets to show their appreciation - and yes, I do partake of their gratuitiy.

So, as I approach 40....I had to come up with something that would be remarkable and show the worthwhile of my journey.  What better than Nepal - the Himilayas!!!  A 10 day roundtrip trek to the Annapurna Sanctuary.  Leaving October.

Once upon a time....a flight of stairs was a challenge.  

I just wanted to give others a glimpse into the possibilities. 

Hope this gives someone out there hope. Pictures were tough to upload...wanted to show a bigger variety but some post and others don't.

Erika

Erika Herrmann 

kathkeb
on 4/29/12 1:39 pm
Very cool and inspirational!

We hiked the Grand Canyon last Fall .... It was breathtaking.

I wish you safe travels and a wonderful trip!
Kath

goddessgrrl
on 4/29/12 2:44 pm - VA
What a fabulous, exciting, inspiring post!

I adore Death Valley. I was there in 2006. I actually love the desert & can't wait to get back. A dream of mine is to go on a guided camping trip to the deserts of Mexico. Have you ever seen the PBS show "The Desert Speaks"? Absolutely one of my favorites. I could watch it endlessly.

I also want to go to Toroweep & camp.

*sigh* This post makes me want to make reservations now! Keep us updated on your travels.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

MyLady Heidi
on 4/30/12 12:49 am
Wow nice!  It's fun to live isn't it.  I see MO all the time and I feel like screaming you can fix that and start enjoying life too.  Sadly people who have never had a weight problem have no clue how painful it is to carry this burden, on so many levels.  Actually it's more thankfully they don't know. 
paranoidmother21
on 4/30/12 3:17 am - Lake Zurich, IL
My goal was much smaller, but still as satisfying!

We're boaters, and bought a new (to us - gently used) sport cuddy about 3 months before I had my surgery. I had a hard time getting into the boat at all, and into the cuddy (small cabin in the bow area) at all, and could not get on top of the bow because I didn't fit through the windshield opening.

When we got it on the water the following summer, I was bouncing all over the place on/in/around it, and couldn't have been happier! Such a difference from being merely the person carried around on it to being the person doing things with it!

Then too, I began figure skating again recently. It's been weird, having to relearn my balance points now that I no longer have the rings of saturn in fat swinging around my midsection, but I'm DOING it!
Rebecca
Circumferential LBL, anchor TT, BL/BR, brachioplasty 12-16-10 Drs. Howard and Gutowski

Thigh lift 3-24-11, Drs. Howard and Gutowski again!
Height 5' 5".  Start point 254.  DH's goal: 154.  My guess: 144.  Insurance goal: 134.  Currently bouncing around 130-135.

Dragonryder2
on 5/1/12 2:52 am - NM
What a grand inspiration you are.  Good luck on your trip.  Keep us posted on how you do.

I'm 4 yrs. out and we traveled to Spain/Portuagal last month.  I FIT IN THE PLANE SEATS.  YEA! ! ! ! 

I don't really have goals except to workout daily and keep up my walking.
Katari
on 5/1/12 6:58 am - OR
I'm so glad you posted! I Love your pictures! I too love camping and hiking and can't wait for the weather here to warm up a little so I can get out and get to it. I just started (today in fact) getting lists together for new area's to hike/camp. Congrats on 3 years out!

Katie
Katie 
Ht. 5'2  HW 234/GW 150/LW 128/CW 132 
Size 18/20 to a size 4 in 9 months!

Most Active