Have I stretched out my pouch already????

vwelsh
on 5/19/12 5:52 am - Hudson, KY
I'm 8 wks post op (RNY).  In 6 wks, I lost 44 lbs.  The last couple weeks, when I hit my first plateau,  I've been eating too much and too fast already!! I've gained 4 lbs back!!!  Have I ruined it already?  I'm really scared that I've gone through all this for nothing and I won't lose another pound!  Please tell me I can still make this work!  I don't ever feel full and I just know I'm eating more than I should.  And, as I said, I'm still battling with myself on eating slowly.  Will it still work?
darlenerae
on 5/19/12 8:11 am
I don't you've stretched your pouch.  The first plateau is very hard because it brings back bad memories. We have all been there, trying hard to loose only to gain the weight back. Stay positive and stick to the program. Don't drink and eat at the same time, protein first, stay away from carbs. When you want to eat, really look inside yourseld and see if you are really hungry or are you bored, tired, upset, etc.
JJ_
on 5/19/12 6:34 pm, edited 5/19/12 6:35 pm
''The last couple weeks, when I hit my first plateau, I've been eating too much and too fast already!! ''

How much is too much? Are you having your serving of protein before you eat any veggies? What other carbohydrates are you eating other than vegetables or fruits?

If you are eating protein first then you should be feeling full from the protein.

How much liquids are you drinking every day?

Slow down and journal your food, water and vitamin intake. Concentrate on changing one thing at a time.

Judy
Medicfem
on 5/20/12 12:19 pm - Corpus Christi, TX
My nutrionist said when I hit a plateau.. go back to measuring yourself. You find you may not be losing weight but still losing inches. The body has to catch up sometimes too!

Good Luck!
Penny the Paramedic        
aaaaaaa
on 5/20/12 10:52 pm
 No, I very much doubt you've "ruined" it, if you're referring to your "pouch".

However, you HAVE to realize it is JUST a tool to use.  You MUST get your head in the game, and stick to your surgeon's/NUT's plan.  If you're eating too much at only 2 months out, then start measuring out your amounts, and STICK to those amounts, even if you don't feel full afterwards. I wasn't able to feel full at that stage out. I understand it may have a lot to do with nerve endings being deadened from the recent surgery (or something like that).  

I spaced my food intake out, and kept a food journal with the times and amounts.  This helped me keep on trac****il I was totally healed.  Weight does fluctuate, even at that early stage. I didn't lose weight every week, and having some salty foods can make water retention happen, so your 4 pounds could be due to that.   Honestly, stick to the plan of eating protein first, making your meal last at least 20 minutes (put your fork down between bites, and go slowly), don't drin****il at least 20-30 minutes afterwards, and after you've eaten your food (remember...measure it out if you need to), get up from the table and get yourself busy with something so you aren't thinking about food!! :D

Yes, you can still do this, and it will still work.  

(deactivated member)
on 5/20/12 10:59 pm, edited 5/21/12 2:01 am
Clearly, you were told the "what to do's" and you stated in your post how you were not following them.  That is a really important and honest observation on your part.  Be proud for owning this problem.  Many chose to live in denial (hallmark of addiction).  And, I am very proud of you!

With that said, it will only get more difficult from here on out (at this early stage), if you do not deal with the root causes now.  A therapist with addiction/eating disorder experience, coupled with a 12 step support group may really benefit you and provide you with the peace you need to calm down your eating.  Overeater's Anonymous is a great group.

Wishing you much success,

Neen L.
on 5/21/12 1:19 am - Arlington, VA
Everyone in this thread is giving great advice. I can especially vouch for weighing and journaling food. It keeps me honest, even on a bad day. I use www.sparkpeople.com to track what I'm eating because it breaks down what you eat into whatever individual nutrients you want to keep an eye on. I look at total calories, carbohydrate, fat, protein, fiber, and iron intake.

Have compassion for yourself. You've taken an honest inventory of your eating habits and now you just have to get back to sticking with your new lifestyle. Don't worry too much about the scale. Did you know that the human body can fluctuate up to *8* lbs. in a given day? We're strange creatures. Believe me, if you get back on track, you'll start losing again in no time.

Best of luck!

Long-term post-ops with regain struggles, click here to see some steps for getting back on track (without the 5-day pouch fad or liquid diet): http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/bananafish711/blog/2013/04/05/don-t-panic--believe-and-you-will-succeed-/

Always cooking at www.neensnotes.com!

Need a pick-me-up? Read this: http://www.lettersofnote.com/2009/10/it-will-be-sunny-one-day.html

Most Active