So I Wasn't Nice...

aseg21
on 5/29/12 6:42 am - Miami, FL
Typically, I'm pretty nice about weight issues with people and I'm even nice when ignorant people make stupid comments. But on a flight the other day, I couldn't do it. 

I was seated next to a very loud and obnoxious woman who had a running commentary on my pregnancy, weight gain and relating every single body issue that could come with pregnancy. I smiled politely and managed not to say anything ugly even when she commented that "at least with pregnancy you have a reason and you didn't just give up and become a fatty". She was so proud of proclaiming to me that it must be hard to get used to not being thin but to at least be "obviously pregnant". Through it all, I managed to not respond. However, my politeness ended when I took off my sweater and she made a comment. 

She looked over and said "oh my lord, you let your arms go - you're going to have to cover those up or people will think you used to just be fat". She said this with such disgust that you would think I had formerly been a Nazi or a convicted felon etc. When she started pointing out the overweight people on our flight, I absolutely lost it. 

Instead of being polite, I opted for leaning over and telling her that I used to be quite overweight. Severely overweight. That not only did I have no idea what it was like for people to think of me as thin but that I understood exactly how it felt to be overweight and self conscious. That it was really ugly to sit and comment on peoples appearances. She tried to redeem herself by telling me at least I got motivated and lost it the "right way" instead of "copping out with surgery and stuff". I smiled nicely and told her that I had surgery. That it was one of the hardest decisions I've ever made and that it took as much work, dedication, endurance and mental strength as anything I've ever undertaken. 

Then I paged the flight attendant and asked to move to another seat. =)

Lowest Weight: 145 lbs
Current weight: 148.6 lbs

Total Loss: 226 lbs

poet_kelly
on 5/29/12 6:56 am - OH
Good for you.  It sounds like you actually were pretty nice.  You didn't punch her or anything.  And I don't see any reason to sit quielty when people are rude to me.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

JUSTJUNQUIES
on 5/29/12 6:58 am - Citrus Heights, CA
RNY on 04/04/12
I REALLY do NOT understand people like her!! she must have been perfect or something, and to point out other peoples faults is discusting!! the only other person I knew like that used to make fun of "ugly"CHILDREN , it was pretty dang funny when she had twins and one was the ugliest thing you have ever seen!!! of course he has grown into himself and is not  "ugly"
That lady was UGLY because ugly ONLY comes from the inside of a person.
I am sorry you had to endure that , wish you could have tripped her on her way down to the bathroom!!!!

Donna Q. --5'8" -60 years old
Band 2005
hw320 sw276 lw with band 195 gw 160-180? 
Bypass 4/4/2012
pre sw 258 lw RNY 162 cw 203

Mary Catherine
on 5/29/12 7:11 am
 Honey everybody has something that they feel self conscious about.  Just look at them and say something like, are you going to get surgery for your nose or are you comfortable with it being that big?  Good lord, girl, who picked out those shoes?  How many little polyesters had to die to make that pair of pants?  

I never admit to anything and always find something to make them uncomfortable with.  Just staring at their shoes can make them very uncomfortable.  Make them move to another seat next time.
Dagne Tripplehorn
on 5/29/12 9:31 am - OR
RNY on 04/06/12
     You were more than polite.
     I always try to imagine what Miss Manners would do.  I have a WWMMD bracelet for every day of the week.  MM is brilliant. She always thinks of the perfect, polite remark that is not in itself rude, but firmly shuts the idiots up--without the idiots realizing until much later the cut her rapier-like insult inflicted on them.
     I picture Airplane Bigot Lady dying slowly and painfully of shame after you set her straight.

(deactivated member)
on 5/29/12 10:00 am, edited 5/29/12 10:00 am
 Yikes !   i honestly don't know what I would do .  One time though I was seated  crossing the Atlantic ...  EIGHT interminable hours !   next to a celebrity's obnoxious " head " assistant in coach .  

U know how the help are always WAYY  ruder and snootier than the lords ?  anyway ... being as he was ( is ) a notorious lecher ... I kept imagining her in  ( almost certainly true ) humiliating and disgusting sexual positions   she ( probably ) gets in to keep her position every time she so HAUGHTILY put down something of mine ...

Hey we all have our defenses  lol... 

DebsGiz
on 5/29/12 10:09 am - FL

You are my newest hero(ine). 

RockChick
on 5/29/12 10:46 am - Los Angeles , CA
I think you were extremely polite! It's always situations like that where I wish I was good at the 'snappy comeback'. But sometimes just speaking the plain old truth works just fine. You'd like to think that maybe that will teach her to shut her yap, think before she speaks, but....

Revision to DS 12/15/2011/Dr. Keshishian, Verdugo Hills

RNY 5/11/2002 Dr. Muryama, Northwestern 

***RNY complication surgery 5/2011, Hernia repairs 6/2003, 8/2013

SW 240 CW 158-163 Goal and maintaining 

Valerie G.
on 5/29/12 10:47 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
I'm a very happily married woman - but I totally want to make out with you after that story.
Go on, girl!

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

paranoidmother21
on 5/29/12 11:07 am - Lake Zurich, IL
Go you! You were far classier than I could ever hope to be in that situation!
Rebecca
Circumferential LBL, anchor TT, BL/BR, brachioplasty 12-16-10 Drs. Howard and Gutowski

Thigh lift 3-24-11, Drs. Howard and Gutowski again!
Height 5' 5".  Start point 254.  DH's goal: 154.  My guess: 144.  Insurance goal: 134.  Currently bouncing around 130-135.

Most Active