8 1/2 MONTHS POST-OP AND HUNGRY ALL THE TIME

naworth1
on 6/18/12 1:58 am - NC
I am 8 1/2 months post op and I am down 96 pounds, but lately my hunger is ravenous. I never feel full anymore is this normal? I did recently start taking Prozac (depression and anxiety due to the loss of a close relative) could the Prozac be the culprit? What can I do to cure this hunger?

Please advise.....
Suza411
on 6/18/12 2:04 am
I would look up the Prozac and see if that is a side affect, could very well be; then if it is talk to your doctor maybe they can prescribe something else.  In the meantime try to drink a lot of water and eat more low calorie high volume foods like salad and other vegatables and fruit.  I also find vegatable juice like low sodium V8 healthful to curb hungar.    good luck!
stlfocus
on 6/18/12 2:08 am - IA
I don't know about the prozac - I would talk to your doc. 

However, are you filling up on dense protein?   I have found if I my meals consist of more veggies than protein, I am starving an hour or so later.  Or you might try switching up what types of protein you are eating.  I find the protein shakes and bars don't do much for me keeping hunger at bay as well as real food.  I am nine months out. 

Also you might try breaking up your meals into 6 smaller meals, so you have something in your stomach more often.   There are a lot of people on this forum that do this with great success.

Good luck figuring it out.  Hopefuly other will have some helpful suggestions for you.

H.A.L.A B.
on 6/18/12 2:46 am

Depends on what I eat and how much and how many times I may be full most of the time or really hungry. Carbs - even complex carbs may make me so hungry that it feel like I can eat anything and everything.
But if I follow Atkins like type diet (lower fat) and limit sugars and carbs - and have proteins and fat at every meal - I get full faster and I do not feel hungry. Skipping meals when i am not hungry - may on the other hand - make me hungry later and makes me overeat or eat the wrong food.
I eat every 2-3 hrs - small meal - snacks. That keeps my Blood sugar very stable and allow me to make good choices.

BTW: one cookie - or a few bites of sugary foods may make me crave more and more and more. So I do not that. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

PINK62
on 6/18/12 2:51 am - Canada
I am not sure about your medication, but you should speak to your doctor and/or medical team.  With me I had surgery feb 10/2011, and yes I do get hungry sometimes, however I eat a mouth full or two and am full again...what I try to do is have plenty of good snacks inbetween meals, low in fat in sugar and high in protein.  It seems to work for me.  My meals I try to eat protein first, beans, legumes, meats, fish...peanut butter...as much as possible...and I am ok, however I am not on the same medication as you, I am diabetic though and do take other medication for that.

Life is full of challenges...we take things one step at a time...

fat_be_gone
on 6/18/12 4:55 am
Omg ty and I thought I was the only one at this stage feeling hungry all the time and eating more than I should:( I don't  think its the Prozac because Im on effexer for yrs now and never felt hungry  the first 7 months post op

JJ_
on 6/18/12 8:34 am
Which surgery did you have?

What do you eat in a typical day?

anewbeginning2012
on 6/18/12 8:50 am - IN
RNY on 10/01/12
 It could be the Prozac. I was on it for a few months...and it seemed like I was hungrier. I would ask you prescriber if that could be causing it. 
MrsLitch
on 6/18/12 1:29 pm - Morris, IL
RNY on 06/04/12
I took prozac years ago and for the first 1-2 months I couldn't get enough food in me. After that i went back to "normal"

Not sure if it is a side effect but I know that's how it was for me the 2 different times I was put on it.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

5' 3" - HW: 244 SW:234  GW:120 LW: 107 CW:110 Made goal 3/16/13!    

(deactivated member)
on 6/18/12 7:29 pm
If U don't need a LOT of pick me up help ...wellbutrin is a non-weight gainer alternative anti-depressant for Prozac.

good luck 
Most Active