What If You Are Taking Prescription Meds?

Justice2012
on 6/18/12 8:38 am, edited 6/18/12 8:39 am
 I have a mixture of prescription drugs that I take each day (four to be exact). I am pre-op and I do not know how this will affect me when I do have WLS. Will my meds be absorbed normally? I have an appointment with my doctor June 25th, but I cannot wait to hear the answer...lol. Is anyone in the same boat as me that can advise?
H.A.L.A B.
on 6/18/12 8:40 am
The sleeve does not change how meds are absorbed. Restriction only - no malabsorbtion.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Justice2012
on 6/18/12 8:45 am
 Oh wow, okay...I did not know that. Thank you for this :)
H.A.L.A B.
on 6/18/12 9:03 am
check teh specific forum. You can ask people if they are happy with the sleeve- VSG

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/vsg/

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

JJ_
on 6/18/12 8:48 am
Which surgery are you having?

What are the medications that you are taking?

I had RNY.  Post-surgery I no longer took any diabetes meds or blood pressure meds.  I still take Synthroid (thyroid), and have to take it before bedtime.  As well, I take 2 multivitamins, 1 iron supplement, 6 calcium citrite (2 at lunch, 2 mid-afternoon and 2 at supper).

Depending on your surgery, and the medication, you will need to consult with your doctor as to whether you will need to switch to a non-timed release med, or if you will need to crush a pill or take a liquid form of the drug or need to take something else instead of the type of medication.

Judy
southernlady5464
on 6/18/12 9:10 am
I went from 11 prescription meds to 2...both are thyroid meds. I was told to take mine in the morning or in the middle of the night (IF I got up). I take mine during a middle of the night pee break.

Hasn't changed absorption level of those two at all.

Liz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

poet_kelly
on 6/18/12 9:18 am - OH
I don't know what boat you're in since you don't say which surgery you are having or what meds you are taking.

Most meds are absorbed fine after surgery.  RNY patients are usually advised not to take extended release meds.  I"m not sure if that's the case for DS patients or not.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

southernlady5464
on 6/18/12 10:14 am
Kelly, it's the same with the DS...we need to avoid extended release meds as well...we don't have time to absorb them.

Liz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

poet_kelly
on 6/18/12 10:18 am - OH
Thanks.  I would have guessed that was the case but I wasn't sure.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Jackie
Multiplepetmom

on 6/18/12 10:44 am
 Liz, is it the same with VSG?

once upon a time I had a group to talk about Binge Eating Disorder, and later one about Clean Eating.

PM me if you are interested in either of these.

size 8, life is great

Most Active