Commenting on someone's weight loss -link to article

GreenGardener
on 6/23/12 9:48 pm
VSG on 06/02/09 with
 http://thecurrentconscience.com/blog/2011/10/18/think-twice-before-you-praise-someone-for-losing-weight/
 SD:  6/09; HW:  263;  LW:  143; CW:  155; 5'5"; 62 yo
MyLady Heidi
on 6/24/12 12:32 am
I didn't read it all but read enough to get the jist, realistically I have lost weight when I was upset and no one said a word, why because I didn't look good, my face was puffy from crying, no one said wow you look awesome they knew something was terribly wrong.  People don't live in a vacuum they can see what is going on with the people they are speaking too and you can see a happy weight loss vs one caused by a serious illness or tragedy. 
MacMadame
on 6/24/12 4:55 am - Northern, CA
Well this explains why some of us lose 50 pounds and no one says buttkus to us. Personally I think it's kind of silly.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

RosieSweetie21
on 6/24/12 6:04 am
Thank you for posting this. I have lost over 120 lbs and I can't stand it when coworkers still keep making comments. I didn't lose weight so people would notice or congratulate me.  I didn't want anyone asking me why I was gaining weight, so I don't want any questions or comments now. Some of you may be insulted that someone is not gushing over your weight loss, but don't be.  People are busy with their own lives (and bodies), or they may feel it is inappropriate or rude to make comments about your body. Remember you need to take care of your body for yourself...YOU need to acknowledge your success.
challie
on 6/25/12 6:18 am
Thanks for posting this.  This is a very good point and is supported by many threads on this and other WLS sites.  Many people do not feel that their body should be a source of comment, speculation, praise or criticism from others and they have every right to feel that way.  If a person does not want to be objectified they shouldn't have to be.

Thin people believe that they are thin because of the appropriate and healthy lifestyle choices they make and that the obese are not thin because of the inappropropriate and unhealthy lifestyle choices they make and in many cases this is simply not true.  In many cases it is as much a matter of luck as anything else.  Yet these thin people feel some kind of moral authority and that they are in a position to judge and/or validate our worth because we have now joined the acceptable body size club.  This is ridiculous and presumptuous and insulting.  We should not stand for it.

Challie

Most Active